Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[PREOPENING] Excited for upcoming St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Archived]

[PREOPENING] Excited for upcoming St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Archived]

 
Old May 28, 15, 5:51 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 8,606
[PREOPENING] Excited for upcoming St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Archived]

Construction photos of the new St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort on the Vommuli Island:

http://wow.sg/thinking/2014/12/09/st...-construction/

SPG.com has anticipated opening of April 1, 2016. Will be very interested, since this island is in a more remote area that has some incredible diving in the vicinity.
bhrubin is offline  
Old May 28, 15, 6:03 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy (SPG) Lifetime Plat Premier, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Posts: 779
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Construction photos of the new St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort on the Vommuli Island:

http://wow.sg/thinking/2014/12/09/st...-construction/

SPG.com has anticipated opening of April 1, 2016. Will be very interested, since this island is in a more remote area that has some incredible diving in the vicinity.
Cat 8? . Or may still settle for 7 and a modest $1100 a night...
Medved is offline  
Old May 28, 15, 6:07 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 8,606
Originally Posted by Medved View Post
Cat 8? . Or may still settle for 7 and a modest $1100 a night...
I'll assume Cat 7 for sure.

Like all other top luxe resorts in the Maldives, it will be very expensive...and likely SPG redemptions will be outrageous due to the double point req't for all-suite properties like this one certainly will be (as is true for the W Maldives, StR Bora Bora, etc).

But it's still nice to know that this will offer a truly luxe SPG option in such a great destination--in which we can at least earn points if not easily redeem them.

And it looks fantastic--love the very modern design mixed with an island chic quality in the architecture. Very different from anything I've seen in the Maldives.
bhrubin is offline  
Old May 28, 15, 7:18 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: BKK
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; QR Plat
Posts: 1,729
Definitely cat 7
3rdworldresident is offline  
Old Jun 16, 15, 1:36 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 8,606
More details for the upcoming St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort

http://magicofmiles.boardingarea.com...-the-maldives/

Looks quite nice, indeed. Looking forward to including this property in our 2017 Maldives trip--as it's located in a great scuba diving area not accessible from the other top resorts. Here's hoping they finish and open in 2016 on time!
bhrubin is offline  
Old Aug 25, 15, 10:43 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,510
super high density as usual for maldives

http://www.vommulimaldives.com/

not cat 7, but cat 7 suite SU2/3/4 like w et al
there are no rooms, its all villas (all with pool?)
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Old Aug 25, 15, 12:20 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: WAS
Programs: SPG LTG, DL Plat
Posts: 1,642
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
super high density as usual for maldives

http://www.vommulimaldives.com/

not cat 7, but cat 7 suite SU2/3/4 like w et al
there are no rooms, its all villas (all with pool?)
Likely... and still a sham IMO. The categories are linked to ADR and the all suite nature is already priced into the rate. It's a double penalty against point redemptions.
DC777Fan is offline  
Old Aug 25, 15, 12:33 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 8,606
Originally Posted by DC777Fan View Post
Likely... and still a sham IMO. The categories are linked to ADR and the all suite nature is already priced into the rate. It's a double penalty against point redemptions.
It's no different than the W Maldives or the StR Bora Bora. We don't have to like it, but it's in no way surprising. The owners know they will have a high demand and very luxe property in an extremely high demand location, and they want to earn as much profit as possible as with any business.
bhrubin is offline  
Old Aug 25, 15, 3:15 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: WAS
Programs: SPG LTG, DL Plat
Posts: 1,642
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
It's no different than the W Maldives or the StR Bora Bora. We don't have to like it, but it's in no way surprising. The owners know they will have a high demand and very luxe property in an extremely high demand location, and they want to earn as much profit as possible as with any business.
Having a few exceptions at super-aspirational properties cheapens the program as a whole and erodes trust to an extent that can't possibly be made up for by the extra revenue from a few extra points in locations that have a very high difficulty bar to reach (MLE, BOB). As I said, I'm not surprised--just expressing my sentiment that it's BS given the way hotels are already categorized on price and room quality has a significant impact on price.

Hilton, Hyatt, etc have easily made points millionaires due to tie ups with more generous/stupid banks (Citi->Hilton) or easy to accrue transferable currency (Chase->Hyatt). SPG doesn't have this problem - most Starpoints are hard earned and making a Cat 7 redemption already a significant point load for even a high elite ... A plat 75 needs to spend over $35k w/ SPG (or about $150k on their SPG card ... again, a high bar) just for 5 nights at most St Regis hotels, for instance.
DC777Fan is offline  
Old Aug 25, 15, 3:30 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 8,606
Originally Posted by DC777Fan View Post
Having a few exceptions at super-aspirational properties cheapens the program as a whole and erodes trust to an extent that can't possibly be made up for by the extra revenue from a few extra points in locations that have a very high difficulty bar to reach (MLE, BOB). As I said, I'm not surprised--just expressing my sentiment that it's BS given the way hotels are already categorized on price and room quality has a significant impact on price.
Owners choose which program they wish to affiliate at. We're fortunate that SPG has so many truly luxury properties. That 3-4 SPG properties require double SPG points doesn't diminish the fact that SPG still has far more options at the luxury level in far more locations than any other major chain. That I can stay at the StR or W Maldives or StR Bora Bora and actually earn SPG points vs stay at the comparable FS or other top luxury property makes all the difference for me.

Hilton, Hyatt, etc have easily made points millionaires due to tie ups with more generous/stupid banks (Citi->Hilton) or easy to accrue transferable currency (Chase->Hyatt). SPG doesn't have this problem - most Starpoints are hard earned and making a Cat 7 redemption already a significant point load for even a high elite ... A plat 75 needs to spend over $35k w/ SPG (or about $150k on their SPG card ... again, a high bar) just for 5 nights at most St Regis hotels, for instance.
You are entitled to your opinion, of course...but it applies only to you. I'm sure there are many who agree with you, too. But I'm not one.

Hilton has few WA and Conrad hotels that truly approximate the number of SPG luxury properties with StR, W, and LC. Hyatt has PH hotels which easily match StR, but there are very few of them. Because of that, they need to find more customers. SPG is bigger than Hyatt and has far more luxe properties than Hilton. But if you disagree, then feel free to switch over to Hilton, Marriott, or Hyatt. In the end, there are far more StR than PH or WA or Conrads, not to mention W and Lux Collection properties.

The fact that SPG points are harder to earn makes them more valuable...and creates less competition for awards at SPG hotels. Considering that SPG has far more luxury hotels in more locations than any other major chain, I am able to secure award stays more easily. If it were easier to earn SPG points, they would be devalued more akin to Marriott and Hilton and IHG (none of which have that many truly luxury properties from which to choose, anyway).
bhrubin is offline  
Old Mar 17, 16, 12:26 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: SPG Gold, UA Gold
Posts: 30
Bumping this as the website now says a 1 Sept opening date. Does anyone have any supporting info for this? It's still not bookable through the SPG gold line.
DPoulnot is offline  
Old Mar 31, 16, 1:34 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 21
A Facebook friend who works for Starwood in Singapore just posted a pic of the St Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort saying it will open November 2016. November!!! Wonder what's causing the delays?
djmac20 is offline  
Old Apr 24, 16, 11:00 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: North East
Posts: 184
St Regis Maldives

Can anyone shed any light on when this will be available for bookings...? and, more importantly, how many SPG points it is likely to be per night...?

Since I haven't made any SPG points bookings before, those hotels/resorts that say "limited participation in the programme"... is that because they are all-suite hotels?... and if so, can you actually make points bookings by calling them? Roughly how much premium do SPG put on these places/night.... e.g. W Maldives or W Koh Samui....?

Can you still get the '5 for 4' points deals at these places...?

Thanks!
drmish1 is offline  
Old Apr 25, 16, 1:02 am
  #14  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Guangzhou
Programs: SPG
Posts: 1,021
Hi drmish1,

We currently have no information on what category the hotel will be or how many Starpoints it requires for Free Night Award redemption.

As for W Retreat & Spa - Maldives and W Retreat Koh Samui, they have Limited Participation in the Starwood Preferred Guest Program because all rooms at these two properties are villas; therefore, Starpoint Award reservations must be booked at a higher Starpoint rate through customer contact center. You may view this information on their websites.

Fifth Night Free Award does not apply to Starpoint Award reservations booked at these two properties.

Best Regards,

Christina Zhou
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker III is offline  
Old Apr 25, 16, 8:15 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: North East
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker III View Post
Hi drmish1,

We currently have no information on what category the hotel will be or how many Starpoints it requires for Free Night Award redemption.

As for W Retreat & Spa - Maldives and W Retreat Koh Samui, they have Limited Participation in the Starwood Preferred Guest Program because all rooms at these two properties are villas; therefore, Starpoint Award reservations must be booked at a higher Starpoint rate through customer contact center. You may view this information on their websites.

Fifth Night Free Award does not apply to Starpoint Award reservations booked at these two properties.

Best Regards,

Christina Zhou
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Thank you v much- are you able to please tell me what the going rate would be for 1 night at each of these properties (points-wise that is)..?
drmish1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread