Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I'm not sure that hurling competing statistics around is going to advance the merger discussion, so perhaps could we leave it there ?
Agree. My original post was just because I had heard like-to-like at luxury level was 2-1 when it's more 1-1 wrt luxury properties worldwide. Nothing more; nothing less. I regard # of like-to-likes more important; others value % more important. Shrug.

My guess is we're all more interested in finding out a year from now, will they keep the best of both worlds or will both sides get screwed?

Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
My guess is we're all more interested in finding out a year from now, will they keep the best of both worlds or will both sides get screwed?
That's easy. It is a travel industry merger. Both sides will obviously get screwed, just like UA/CO, AA/US, etc. In an industry with only a few big players, any merger of the major players will result in less choice for the consumer, and more market power for the merged corporation. That's pretty much the point of the merger, no matter how they might try to spin it.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Disagree as you, like others, are comparing owned aircraft with mainly managed properties.
If a property owner starts to feel the pinch they can deflag or change flags (with limited financial impact),, but airlines can't do the same (except mothball the unused aircraft and that's very costly).

Originally Posted by r415
That's easy. It is a travel industry merger. Both sides will obviously get screwed, just like UA/CO, AA/US, etc. In an industry with only a few big players, any merger of the major players will result in less choice for the consumer, and more market power for the merged corporation. That's pretty much the point of the merger, no matter how they might try to spin it.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You demonstrate rather poor command of fact. Marriott does not hold a commanding share of the nationwide or worldwide lodging market - a market much more fragmented than the U.S. airline industry. It is emphatically not 'an industry with only a few big players.'
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You demonstrate rather poor command of fact. Marriott does not hold a commanding share of the nationwide or worldwide lodging market - a market much more fragmented than the U.S. airline industry. It is emphatically not 'an industry with only a few big players.'
+1 Absolutely correct the structure of the lodging industry is very different from the airline industry. In many ways the airline industry in domestic markets are characterized by being oligopoly's, you can't hardly argue that you have the same situation in the lodging industry. On international routes the situation can be slightly better however if you consider direct flights and stop-over flights the the same destination as different products the situation worsens again. That's why in general direct flights are more expensive.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
...especially now with the rise of AirBNB and others
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:48 am

From the Forbes article link in post #877 .

"So are there more brands on the horizon for Marriott? Sorenson says "yes" noting that Marriott represents just 7% of the global brand industry. "At the moment we just have our hands full," he adds."

Cheers.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by remymartin
+1. Comparing numbers instead of percentage is ridiculous by itself. Not all of us need to be in Smallville, VA for business. Expanding the programme with 3200 HIX-level properties (with a surprise in the drawer) certainly brings no added value to me.
I think so.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by megalab
I expected "MPG" to honor prior LT status. I also expect them to reconfigure the tiers somewhere between what the separate programs offer today, then give the LT status one's cumulative criteria would achieve. For instance, I'm a few nights away from SPG LT Gold, but if you combine my SPG and MR nights and points (using the 1:3 exchange rate) I'm most of the way to MR LT Gold. I expect "MPG Gold" to be somewhere between SPG Gold and more generous MR Gold, and my LT Status to be that new tier.
This seems fair. Not everyones SPG Lifetime Platinum status is the same. Some have the bare 500 lifetime nights, while others have 1,000+ lifetime nights. I imagine this is taken into account when deciding what status to provide to whom. And as you say, some people have nights in both programs. Seems fair to combo it all up and then dole out proper levels in the new program based on total cumulative nights.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Srisarin
Disagree as you, like others, are comparing owned aircraft with mainly managed properties.
If a property owner starts to feel the pinch they can deflag or change flags (with limited financial impact),, but airlines can't do the same (except mothball the unused aircraft and that's very costly).
You can disagree with the analogy all you like, but please explain how mergers of two major large chains to form the largest chain of hotels ever is not bad for consumers, at least for the loyalty program?

Yes, you have more properties you choose from, but there's no way loyalty program benefits don't get diluted long-term.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:33 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Since you obviously haven't lost any of those precious SPG benefits, and the way things are going the loyalty programs will remain separated for another year plus, what do you think you'll lose long term?

Meanwhile, if you were an SPG G you've just picked up breakfast and lounge benefits by literally crossing the street cause you sure weren't getting anything from SPG.

You can disagree with the analogy all you like, but please explain how mergers of two major large chains to form the largest chain of hotels ever is not bad for consumers, at least for the loyalty program?

Yes, you have more properties you choose from, but there's no way loyalty program benefits don't get diluted long-term.

Last edited by Srisarin; Jun 10, 2017 at 7:54 am
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Since you obviously haven't lost any of those precious SPG benefits, and the way things are going the loyalty programs will remain separated for another year plus, what do you think you'll lose long term?

Meanwhile, if you were an SPG G you've just picked up breakfast and lounge benefits by literally crossing the street cause you sure weren't getting anything from SPG.
Spot on with the Gold status comment as it is the reason I favor Marriott over SPG. Easily valued at $20+ per person per night for me for the breakfast buffet, snacks, and drinks.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:46 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
thanks. missed that.

unless Amex was stupid enough to let an acquisition 'out' clause into the Starwood contract, one would think, regardless of Marriott's decision, the SPG Amex would be around until 2020.
American Airlines is now working with 2 Bank Cards..Citi and Barclays, so other Big Companys could do the same.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
And just how long do you think this will last? SPG G is attainable by getting a credit card (i.e. AX Plat), staying one night (APAC World MasterCard) or, for a mere mortal, doing 10 stays.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
And just how long do you think this will last? SPG G is attainable by getting a credit card (i.e. AX Plat), staying one night (APAC World MasterCard) or, for a mere mortal, doing 10 stays.
It will probably last until the 2 programs are fully merged, so SPG Golds still have a year or so to enjoy brekkie/lounge access at Marriotts that they don't have w/ SPG properties.

Once the programs are fully merged, my prediction is Gold will go more towards the Marriott side (nights) & if they keep the nights the same, they might keep the Gold access. If they do a combo of nights/stays & it's less, then Golds will probably be more along the SPG model.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.