Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

How low SPG can go? [Issues with stay at Mystique, Greece]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How low SPG can go? [Issues with stay at Mystique, Greece]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 10:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Guests being assigned a room with a clogged bathtub and sink at a supposedly luxury property doesn't make me want to stay there.

If anything, this incident just goes to show how initially setting up things incorrectly for guests at a luxury property makes it more likely that a guest ends up being disappointed overall by other things at the same property too.

Having experienced one or more service failures early on during a stay, it becomes easier to find more faults later on because the guests' expectations are set to expect faults during the course of the stay. Welcome to the results of the hype about luxury properties leading to the kind of guest frustration that fosters a negative turn in reviews by customers who are disappointed early on by hotel's service failures after "splurging" by the customers.

A properly draining drain or two is not too much to expect.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
6. It is kind of crazy that the OP just up and went home after getting kicked out -- why not go to another hotel? Or another part of Greece?
I have to admit, this is the part of the story that makes me wonder what else happened. I don't know what to make of it...just that it's illogical.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Guests being assigned a room with a clogged bathtub and sink at a supposedly luxury property doesn't make me want to stay there.

If anything, this incident just goes to show how initially setting up things incorrectly for guests at a luxury property makes it more likely that a guest ends up being disappointed overall by other things at the same property too.

Having experienced one or more service failures early on during a stay, it becomes easier to find more faults later on because the guests' expectations are set to expect faults during the course of the stay. Welcome to the results of the hype about luxury properties leading to the kind of guest frustration that fosters a negative turn in reviews by customers who are disappointed early on by hotel's service failures after "splurging" by the customers.

A properly draining drain or two is not too much to expect.
I think a big problem comes with saying a hotel is part of "The Luxury Collection" which doesnt mean its on the scale of a Four Seasons or Mandarin or Sofitel and many arent 'luxurious' in the least. Isnt the Pulitzer a LC Ive stayed there and didnt find it being Luxury in any way. Now the Imperial in VIE is!

I think it would be best for SPG to review all the LC hotels and leave those that are really Luxury in it. Come up with another name for those hotels that are special (even if only due to the views or location) but are anything but Luxury and luxury shouldnt be based on the other hotels in that area but what most folks would describe a luxury hotel to be. So off hand there can be some hotels that could be rebranded as LCs eg Westin Madrid and others such as the Mystique that might be better off being called Shearton Mystique rather the being a part of the LC .

Either way the hotel really should address the known problem of lack of proper draining in the shower and sink in some of its rooms. Could be theres absolutly nothing they can do about it, thats OK but then they should be required to have such notice promptly dispalyed on their site and be removed from the LC brand! ( Ive had that problem with the shower elsewhere it wasnt a big deal when I was done before shuting off the water I rinsed 1 foot placed in on the mat on the floor then rinsed off my other foot, nothing to KO my whole trip over)

Last edited by craz; May 30, 2014 at 10:38 am
Old May 30, 2014, 11:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by craz
I think a big problem comes with saying a hotel is part of "The Luxury Collection" which doesnt mean its on the scale of a Four Seasons or Mandarin or Sofitel and many arent 'luxurious' in the least. Isnt the Pulitzer a LC Ive stayed there and didnt find it being Luxury in any way. Now the Imperial in VIE is!

I think it would be best for SPG to review all the LC hotels and leave those that are really Luxury in it. Come up with another name for those hotels that are special (even if only due to the views or location) but are anything but Luxury and luxury shouldnt be based on the other hotels in that area but what most folks would describe a luxury hotel to be. So off hand there can be some hotels that could be rebranded as LCs eg Westin Madrid and others such as the Mystique that might be better off being called Shearton Mystique rather the being a part of the LC .

Either way the hotel really should address the known problem of lack of proper draining in the shower and sink in some of its rooms. Could be theres absolutly nothing they can do about it, thats OK but then they should be required to have such notice promptly dispalyed on their site and be removed from the LC brand! ( Ive had that problem with the shower elsewhere it wasnt a big deal when I was done before shuting off the water I rinsed 1 foot placed in on the mat on the floor then rinsed off my other foot, nothing to KO my whole trip over)
The hotel frequently sells it's cheaper accommodations at or above 500 euros (and often way over that) per night. That's ordinarily considered luxury hotel type of pricing. It's pricing structure is definitely positioned as if it is a luxury boutique property -- and it generally is attracting customers who want a luxury experience on the island.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
The hotel frequently sells it's cheaper accommodations at or above 500 euros (and often way over that) per night. That's ordinarily considered luxury hotel type of pricing. It's pricing structure is definitely positioned as if it is a luxury boutique property -- and it generally is attracting customers who want a luxury experience on the island.
I agree! As someone that has a reservation (not award) at the hotel within the next two weeks, we looked at other alternatives outside of SPG in Oia and in the end decided to go with Mystique. Some of those we considered had even higher rates like the Katikies. Overall the location/view is what you are paying for but in the price level we are talking about decor/upkeep/service should be up to par.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:46 am
Suspended

Pricing means nothing, heck for a weekend trip to LA in July most companys wanted close to $100 a day for a compact. Usually you can get a BMer for that money.

I havnt been to this hotel, but luxury doesnt mean paying a high rate. The Pulitzer in AMS is usually above 300 Euros anight and as I said before Ive stayed there and didnt find the hotel luxurious in any sense of the word . Its a nice hotel and I enjoyed my stays but Luxury and Pulitzer doesnt belong in the same sentence

From what I read about the Mystique it has a great location and offers great views that doenst make it a luxury hotel, in might be the most luxurious hotel in that town or island and can even be the most expensive but that doesnt translate into being a true Luxury Hotel. The Imperial in VIE is a true luxury hotel and deserves having LC in its name, I know the Pulitzer doesnt deserve having LC in its name and only from what Ive read it seems this hotel shouldnt have it either (w/o taking this thread as the basis)

Ive never stayed in a FS Ive walked into a fair amount and luxury is seen and felt in everyone. I know Ive felt that way walking into (and staying at some LC Hotels) as with Ritz's. Maybe those hotels that arent in the same bag should be called a *Wood Collection Hotel rather then a LC collection
Old May 30, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
craz...I believe that everyone has their own definition of luxury. For someone that doesn't travel much, a Westin or Sheraton might be a luxury hotel. For some if the service is great and they have a nice room they might say it is a luxury hotel.

Sadly hotel names or association are not always a guarantee of the quality even though it should be to some extent. I've stayed at two St. Regis properties that had great rooms and facilities but the service was horrible. The same applies to other "luxury" hotel chains I have stayed at.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by christianj
craz...I believe that everyone has their own definition of luxury. For someone that doesn't travel much, a Westin or Sheraton might be a luxury hotel. For some if the service is great and they have a nice room they might say it is a luxury hotel.

Sadly hotel names or association are not always a guarantee of the quality even though it should be to some extent. I've stayed at two St. Regis properties that had great rooms and facilities but the service was horrible. The same applies to other "luxury" hotel chains I have stayed at.
Fully understandable. But when most folks see 'LC' or 'Luxury' that usually would mean certain things to most folks. To me it doesnt mean great views or location, since a Motel6 can have those. It means the hotel itself being on a certain level be it in decor, room set up and furnishings , amenitys, SERVICE etc etc. Which it seems this hotel doesnt have throughout.

Its sort of like arriving to a *W hotel in HNL and trying to figure out why the heck they are charging a Resort Fee theres nothing resembling a resort to the hotel. Or The Westin LV among others.

I understand its a Cat7 due to its high rates but that doesnt mean its a luxury hotel , just an expensive 1. Just as the 4P in Miami Beach is a Cat5 maybe aCat2 would be better but its high rates gets it the cat5

Would I stay at this hotel, yes if I was interested in being in that town and wanted the location and views, but not if 'luxury' is what Im looking for. It can be the most luxurious of all the hotels and yet the hotel itself feel as if its nothing special(not discussing the views). I fully understand it can charge what it does due to 3 things Its Loaction location & location and thats alright with me. Just as the Pulitzer has those same 3 things going for it.But both fail to be "Luxury'"
Old May 30, 2014, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't really know whose point I'm supporting here, but I fully expect any hotel that (a) is marketed by Starwood as part of the Luxury Collection and (b) is selling rooms for 500 euro a night to be a highly luxurious hotel.

Viewing the LC website, seeing the photographs within, and seeing a 500 euro rate: yes, absolutely, I'm expecting a Four Seasons type experience. Starwood is positioning this as a competitor to other very high-end boutique hotels. They even use the term "5-star" on their website, which suggests that these are among the top 100 to 200 hotels on the planet. (Granted, they don't outwardly state that all of their properties have or are even pursuing the 5th star: the very act of pursuing it is beyond the scope of many smaller boutiques. But it's certainly suggested...)
Old May 30, 2014, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by craz
Pricing means nothing, heck for a weekend trip to LA in July most companys wanted close to $100 a day for a compact.
Your post's line above is comparing apples to rocks.

For standard accommodations at a property in such locality too, a property routinely selling such entry-level rooms for substantially more than even 500 EUR or more a night is definitely about positioning as a luxury hotel.

US$690+/nightly rates being common for a standard room at a property is all about luxury hotel pricing and positioning.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 30, 2014 at 12:32 pm
Old May 30, 2014, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
I don't really know whose point I'm supporting here, but I fully expect any hotel that (a) is marketed by Starwood as part of the Luxury Collection and (b) is selling rooms for 500 euro a night to be a highly luxurious hotel.

Viewing the LC website, seeing the photographs within, and seeing a 500 euro rate: yes, absolutely, I'm expecting a Four Seasons type experience. Starwood is positioning this as a competitor to other very high-end boutique hotels. They even use the term "5-star" on their website, which suggests that these are among the top 100 to 200 hotels on the planet. (Granted, they don't outwardly state that all of their properties have or are even pursuing the 5th star: the very act of pursuing it is beyond the scope of many smaller boutiques. But it's certainly suggested...)
bingo! Id think a SR can be called a LC, but not all LCs can be a SR. Maybe its due to its size, not being opened 365/12.So it seems it gets new help every year and has a hard time geting everyone to return the next yr.Due to the cliff and set up there will always be x rooms with drainage problems lets say.Again that wouldnt deter me from staying there if the Location and Views are what Im most interested in.

I just feel bad for someone yes even the OP, if they decided on this hotel thinking great its got the location and views we want and will be spoiled since its a Luxury Hotel, finding out the hard way its anything but luxurious. Had it been labeled a *W Collection hotel, then you cant expect a luxurious experience just maybe a unique one
Old May 30, 2014, 12:44 pm

Interesting discussion. All I can add is one of the worst experiences I ever had was at the Plaza Hotel in NYC. About a month of so later, one of the best experience I ever had was at the Plaza Hotel in NYC. (I say 'one of' because two others - WDW Swan and the Excelsior in Rome, both Westins - were waaaaaaay up there too...)

I guess my point is YMMV when it comes to luxury and non-luxury hotels.

Cheers,
Old May 30, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Luxury is subjective as stated.However,if you review the other ratings of this hotel on TA , as well as spg.com, the vast majority of folks seem pretty satisfied. Then read the tone of the OP's TA post and posting here and, to me at least, a pattern appears. Subjective too but clear nonetheless.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Your post's line above is comparing apples to rocks.

For standard accommodations at a property in such locality too, a property routinely selling such entry-level rooms for substantially more than even 500 EUR or more a night is definitely about positioning as a luxury hotel.

US$690+/nightly rates being common for a standard room at a property is all about luxury hotel pricing and positioning.
Well we disagree on this. The 4P In MB is far from being cheap, especially in the winter, yet Id rather be on the park bench.

To me its like a flight as you get closer to the deaprture date the fare goes up and up.I know as it gets closer to a Holiday in TLV EWR-TLV will set you back over well over $2k yet you wont get anything more then the person who spent $1400 and even maybe sitting in E- middle seat

I dont see this place selling itself as a luxury place if it does it shouldnt (nor should the Pulitzer among others).It can charge what it does since people want the location and views it affords and they have you if thats what you want.It would be nice if it was luxury as well. Ive stayed in a number of hotels that were over $500 a night that werent luxurious and that wasnt their most expensive room , it was their 1st level. Never went back what a closet but I wanted to be exactly where it was and the bathroom was bigger then the bedroom area and that wasnt luxurious either

high rates are all about We got you by the ____ . So we can get away with what we charge. Paying $7 for a can of beer be it on a plane or ballpark or an arena has nothing to do with it being a specialized beer but simply yep We have you by your ___ , if you want it you will pay up for it.Thats the same for the mini bars or at the movies, they got you and thusly can and do get away with charging the prices they do. Theres nothing 'luxury' about Disneyland and they are now up to $100 to walk in, yet go price the food or drinks

This hotel has you if location and views is what you want, thats what they are selling and charging accordingly due to that
Old May 30, 2014, 1:00 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
luxury
Syllabification: lux·u·ry
Pronunciation: /ˈləkSH(ə)rē, ˈləgZH(ə)- /
NOUN (plural luxuries)

1The state of great comfort and extravagant living:
he lived a life of luxury

ADJECTIVE

Luxurious or of the nature of a luxury:

Well i would also be very upset... at this level everything should be checked prior to arrival...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.