Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

How low SPG can go? [Issues with stay at Mystique, Greece]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How low SPG can go? [Issues with stay at Mystique, Greece]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2014, 5:54 pm

My sympathies to the hotel owner.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by ninamarie89

Whoever mentioned that the issue was expectations hit the nail on the head. The OP had certain expectations heading into the situation and when they weren't met immediately, things got heated.

I agree completely that the basic problem is expectations. Starwood markets the Mystique as 'luxury' when in fact the actual accommodation is more minimalist than luxurious. In 2012 I posted a detailed review of the property on the spg site with the following conclusion: "The views are fantastic and the staff are wonderful, but the Mystique is a disappointment as a luxury hotel." For one thing, the so-called suites are actually just one room, with no separate sitting area. For another, the furniture is concrete built-into the wall and is very uncomfortable. The flooring is also concrete. The hotel has no parking lot or reception at street level to receive guests or help negotiate the immense staircase. For some reason or other my review is no longer on the spg site, but from my personal experience I can sympathesize with the disappointment the OP felt with the lack of luxury installations.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
What I have learned from this thread, "How low SPG can go?" is that I cannot get this song out of my head.
Limbo lower now.

I am curious if this hotel has a list of names/persons that are blacklisted.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by arizonasungoddess
My reviews on tripadvisor have never posted immediately. There's always been some lag time. I doubt this review would have posted quick enough for the owner to read it.

An excellent point and one that suggests that the TA post was not likely the cause of the request to leave. I wonder what it could have been.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
What I have learned from this thread, "How low SPG can go?" is that I cannot get this song out of my head.
Thanks. A lot. In the spirit of retaliation, "Mickey Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey, hey Mickey....." It's the only song that can purge "how low can you go". Only problem is I can't tell which is worse.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Fizzer
An excellent point and one that suggests that the TA post was not likely the cause of the request to leave.
There were seemingly at least 13-16 hours between the time of the TA review and the owner doing what the owner is alleged to have done. I've seen TA reviews post way faster than that.
Old May 31, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Well, I once posted a somewhat critical review of a (new) hotel after the first night here on Flyertalk, and the reaction of the (excellent) GM couldn't have been more different. He approached us during breakfast, explained what was going on, comped our trip to the airport, comped some other stuff, and really made sure we enjoyed the rest of the stay. But then I don't think I was hysterical, either .
Old May 31, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Nor was the manager Greek
Old May 31, 2014, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Thanks. A lot. In the spirit of retaliation, "Mickey Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey, hey Mickey....." It's the only song that can purge "how low can you go". Only problem is I can't tell which is worse.
Yours is worse. Much worse, and totally OT, as this isn't about how low a Disney resort went.
Old May 31, 2014, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
"Whim?" The owner offered a different room, it was refused. The owner offered 2 different suites for the following day (when they opened up), they were refused. Nothing was going to be acceptable to the guest. Probably best for both parties he moved on.
My understanding is the situation never got to that point. OP was tossed prior to being shown the suites.

Dude, in the future please watch out for civilians. This tit-for-tat x-fire is causing serious collateral damage.
Old May 31, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by arizonasungoddess
My reviews on tripadvisor have never posted immediately. There's always been some lag time. I doubt this review would have posted quick enough for the owner to read it.

Did you not read the OP's post that began this thread? He clearly states the owner was a least in part reacting to his TA review. Also, the OP started this thread the same day he was thrown out and the TA review was online when the thread started.
Old May 31, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HHonors, WN, Club Carlson, IHG
I've been lurking on FT for almost a year and this thread finally pushed me over the edge to post. I've known people in the past who complain and make a scene as part of a premeditated strategy to receive free services. When I read the TA post all I could think was the OP was just fishing for an even nicer room upgrade than originally received. Reading the follow up comments I no longer believe that to be the case, nor would I presume to make such accusations, but I wonder if the hotel owner didn't in some way think he was being taken advantage of by what he could've perceived to be a serial DYKWIA exaggerating just to improve their compensation.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:43 pm

My recollection is that a first time post on TA takes longer but who knows. More to the point who cares.

Whatever the case we only have the OP's version of events. The tone of those and the TA review itself have perhaps not elicited the level of empathy perhaps hoped for. It will be interesting to see if management responds on TA like they seem to do and to see a different perspective on what may or may not have transpired.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Fizzer
My recollection is that a first time post on TA takes longer but who knows. More to the point who cares.
That's what I was wondering on page 1 of this thread - how come OP's first post on TA posted instanteously? Is it because of the amex traveler thing?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:31 am

Have no idea what the Amex Traveler thing is

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.