Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

How low SPG can go? [Issues with stay at Mystique, Greece]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How low SPG can go? [Issues with stay at Mystique, Greece]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 9:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by postular
Two things that just don't seem to add up:

1. The guests are evicted from the hotel. Unless there is way more to the story this is way, way over the top.

2. The OP leaves Greece and cancels their entire vacation…..seriously?
Point #1 appears to be true, but there might be more to the story.

Point #2 is the version told BY THE OP. Doesn't that say something?
Old May 29, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by imgonnafly
terrible terrible terrible story
I agree. I couldn't even read it. OP is more than a little demanding in this version of the story (which we can be sure puts their behavior in a more positive light).
Old May 29, 2014, 9:40 pm

We can speculate, but what we are reasonably certain of is that the OP was kicked out of a property, that is part of the Starwood chain. Short of an illegal/violent action on the part of the OP, this was unacceptable behavior on the owner's part..

Originally Posted by sbrower
Point #1 appears to be true, but there might be more to the story.

Point #2 is the version told BY THE OP. Doesn't that say something?
Old May 29, 2014, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by aceflyer2
Yes, but the property is part of the Starwood chain, and as such, kicking someone out for an online post is unacceptable.... This cannot be tolerated by Starwood, regardless of the OP's online comments
Why not? You don't know the impact this was having on other guests (current or potential). If the manager felt it was the right decision, they should stand by that. Many businesses are choosing to part way with demanding customers, this is no different.

Unless there's a well documented history of this property doing this to guests, I don't see any reason for Starwood to take action against the property.
Old May 29, 2014, 9:54 pm

If the OP is reporting ALL the facts, I believe Starwood will have some discussion with the property/owner about this case. What their action is, who knows. Probably depends on whether this was a first case or there have been other problems with this property. I DO believe OP will receive some sort of remuneration for being evicted..

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Why not? You don't know the impact this was having on other guests (current or potential). If the manager felt it was the right decision, they should stand by that. Many businesses are choosing to part way with demanding customers, this is no different.

Unless there's a well documented history of this property doing this to guests, I don't see any reason for Starwood to take action against the property.
Old May 29, 2014, 9:57 pm
Suspended

An owner who kicks someone out for an online post. Unacceptable. SPG corporate should be notified and the situation rectified...
why would you assume op was kicked out for an online post? i don't see any evidence of that other than the OPs word which i think we've all read enough of to make our own judgments on the validity.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:00 pm

I DO believe OP will receive some sort of remuneration for being evicted..
Assuming all of the facts are contained in the OP (which I believe has happened in threads similar to this roughly 0.0% of the time in the past)...do you believe they actually DESERVE something from SPG?
Old May 29, 2014, 10:06 pm

My beliefs are irrelevant. I'm pretty sure a company in the hospitality industry is not going to tolerate one of its members evicting someone for an unfavorable online posting (assuming that's what happened). I hope the OP will update us on Starwood's actions...

Assuming all of the facts are contained in the OP (which I believe has happened in threads similar to this roughly 0.0% of the time in the past)...do you believe they actually DESERVE something from SPG?
Old May 29, 2014, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

^^

I DO believe OP will receive some sort of remuneration for being evicted..
God I hope not. Based on what I've read here, I'd prefer the OP take responsibility for their actions.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: Marriott BONVOY PLAT Lifetime PLATINUM, 16 years elite; AA 2MM LTPlat, UA, US, DL
mystique....amazing

Originally Posted by whimike
In your TA post you stated:

While I would never condone the actions of the owner, your post surely was designed to kick him below the belt.

While you may have been upset, I highly doubt that any rational person would consider a drainage issue in a single room, and weak wifi, would make any hotel, let alone Mystique, a "pure dump". The hotel tried to find a solution for you, an alternate room for the first night and a selection of suites the next day, plus an anniversary cake.

From what I see you decided to pull the first punch via the hyperbole in your review, rather than give them a chance to follow through with their service recovery, and you did it while you were still at the hotel, so the person you hurt the most with your review was able to confront you.

That is because the review was left before the owner threw him out.

Let's put this in perspective:

1) OP had a drainage issue in his shower. Because the water puddled in the shower he refused to take a shower.
2) OP said the water drained slowly from the sink.
3) OP said the wifi was weak.

Hotel management did the following:

1) They sent a plumber to try to fix the problem.
2) When the problem couldn't be fixed they offered to move him to an adjacent room.
3) When OP didn't like the size or view of the adjacent room, they offered to show him 3 suites the following day that he can choose from.
4) They offered him a choice of a wine tasting or 2 spa packages as a service recovery.

After this the OP decided to write a review on Trip Advisor stating the hotel is a dump, he would never stay there, and that he can not stand the place.

IMHO, I think the hotel did try what it could to find a solution for the OP. If the others rooms were full, except for #14, what exactly was the OP expecting the hotel to do?
Good response.
There are very few rooms here, (22?) but WHAT A DREAM! This is one of the prettiest SPG properties in the world, perched in OIA atop the crest of the caldera overlooking the Aegean blue crater. Edge of paradise and the fact that OP had a Private terrace .....it was FULL when we tried to stay, but they still allowed us to visit poolside and were warm and gracious. We stayed at the other Santorini property, a St Regis I think, which was amazing and wonderful. Being on Santorini is special, who the heck needs WiFi, there? This man is a demanding person, it seems that the hotel tried, but I say "life is short, the lines for SPG santorini are long, toss out the chronic complainers" and breathe that magical sunset.
Old May 30, 2014, 3:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
A few posts have been removed.

Folks, just a reminder of the FT rules, which include :

If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.
Thank you for your cooperation on keeping the discussion focussed on the thread topic.

/mod
Old May 30, 2014, 6:16 am

An owner who kicks someone out for an online post. Unacceptable. SPG corporate should be notified and the situation rectified...
We don't know why the owner asked the OP to leave. All we know is the OPs rather hysterical, and to my mind patently unreasonable, side of the story.

Cheers,
Old May 30, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
The shower didn't drain, the sink was slow to drain and the wifi was hit and miss! Your in Greece, sorry the biggest issue here is your expectations!

Also while your Gold that does not really get you much at this property and you were offered a room change which solved your issues and by the sounds of it was still within the category you booked just not to your liking, so the hotel did try and address the issues you just didn't like it!

You were then offered a suite the next day when others became available and you went on to post a tripadvisor review before you had even finished your stay to see if they could recover the situation despite much of the situation being your expectations!

Have to say I can see where the hotel owner was coming from it seems very clear that there was no way you would ever be satisfied and most probably taken up so much of the staffs time and if these complaints were all being done in public probably also upset other guests! When trying to get things resolved it is pointless having unrealistic expectations and also showing someone that no matter what they do you will not be happy, otherwise they would give up!

As for choosing to leave Greece because you didn't like one hotel, that seems to say far more about your attitude than the hotel.
Old May 30, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by toddml
The shower didn't drain, the sink was slow to drain and the wifi was hit and miss! Your in Greece, sorry the biggest issue here is your expectations!

Also while your Gold that does not really get you much at this property and you were offered a room change which solved your issues and by the sounds of it was still within the category you booked just not to your liking, so the hotel did try and address the issues you just didn't like it!

You were then offered a suite the next day when others became available and you went on to post a tripadvisor review before you had even finished your stay to see if they could recover the situation despite much of the situation being your expectations!

Have to say I can see where the hotel owner was coming from it seems very clear that there was no way you would ever be satisfied and most probably taken up so much of the staffs time and if these complaints were all being done in public probably also upset other guests! When trying to get things resolved it is pointless having unrealistic expectations and also showing someone that no matter what they do you will not be happy, otherwise they would give up!

As for choosing to leave Greece because you didn't like one hotel, that seems to say far more about your attitude than the hotel.
Well said. Captures my view as well.

Cheers,
Old May 30, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
As others have said the post makes me more likely to want to stay at Mystique. The hotel, by the OP's own words, has demonstrated a commitment to service, including protecting a calm, relaxing atmosphere for all of the other guests. Having had part of a vacation disrupted by loud ( purely my speculation and an educated guess in this case) and demanding guests ( who let's face it tend to vent to anybody around who'll listen ) the hotel goes up in my estimation. The refusal of a ride to the airport, if true, was a little petty though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.