Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

How low SPG can go? [Issues with stay at Mystique, Greece]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How low SPG can go? [Issues with stay at Mystique, Greece]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 9:01 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
I think this is spot on.

Hotels have issues and sometimes these issues also happen to SPG Gold guests. The way to judge a hotel is how they respond to the issue... As whimike said, they immediately sent a plumber (which would often take time at other hotels) *and* a wifi technician that was able to get the wifi working (which, to me, sounds like user error on the OP's end). They offered to move him immediately, and because he didn't like the new room, they give him a choice of 3 rooms being vacated the next day so he got an upgrade for the majority of his stay.

IMO, reading between the lines of this review makes me want to stay at this hotel, not the opposite.

All of that being said, unless OP's hysterics disturbed other guests, throwing him out was not the right thing to do... understandable as it was.
Agreed.
Old May 29, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Like others, I also suspect that DYKWIA was strong with this one, and that we're missing a good part of the story. That said, I really don't think anything less drastic than physical violence should get a person ejected from a hotel, especially a Category 7 one. In a way, the hotel owner also had a DYKWIA moment of his own, and I don't expect SPG to tolerate that, however limited Mystique's participation in the programme.
Old May 29, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
OP welcome to the "when keeping it real goes wrong" hall of fame. If you act irrational you can except irrational things to happen to you.
Old May 29, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Posting a review on TA before you have left the property is never a good idea, even less so on Santorini.

A high rank on TA is one of the important assets for properties on Santorini, where the vast majority of travelers are not return guests. We were strongly encouraged to give good reviews when we stayed at a high end property there. You were kicking him where it hurts and just expected him to take it?
Old May 29, 2014, 9:59 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I am a firm believer that no hotel is perfect. How they choose to respond to service problems is what makes a hotel memorable to me.

It sounds like the property manager tried to respond to your needs but you ignored the outreach. You did not want the room that would have taken care of your error... and not willing to wait for the new upgraded space the following day.

I am also a firm believer that you do not malign a property on TripAdvisor before you have left the property; you gave the owner the chance to react... and not in a positive way.

While I do not believe anyone should be evicted from a property for a "complaint", it sounds like you and the owner were both at fault here.

I hope SPG takes care of the issue... but you bear some responsibility for what happened.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:11 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by wharvey
While I do not believe anyone should be evicted from a property for a "complaint", it sounds like you and the owner were both at fault here.

I hope SPG takes care of the issue... but you bear some responsibility for what happened.
Well put. I think the OP originally acted hastily in putting up (an arguably unfair and inappropriate) TA review. The subsequent reaction of the owner was equally inappropriate. Unless there is some serious criminal, legal or physical threat implication, I don't think it is appropriate for the owner to kick out a guest, especially a foreign citizen in a third country. Not forgiving the initial act of the OP, the reaction of the owner was incredibly shortsighted and a poor manifestation of hospitality.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Mystique

I see and read all the comments. If same situations had happened to me while staying at Westin Times Square or Princeville and I had written a bad review on TA while still staying there, would this happen?

Some have made comments about some arguments between us and hotel. No such things occurred.

Some have made comments about not taking the replacement room. Room was way smaller and view was not good compared to what we already had.

Some have made comments about not giving the hotel a chance to show us 3 rooms next day. That never happened. Supervisor was supposed to call us instead she came to tell us that owner wants to meet us (around 11:00 am or so). We were never shown any rooms.

Clean shower is important to me. May not be big deal for some.

Wi-fi did not work for about 3 hrs till after technician came. What takes the room to be ready? Are these not quality checks? How do you become one of the best if room has these flaws?

Being world traveler for 17 years, stayed at Princeville, Waldorf (Hilton), Bora Bora, Westin Times Square, Phoenician to name a few and they do everything in style and never had an iota worth of issue. How come? Gotten upgrades without even asking as GOLD.

Only mistake on my part has been that I criticized someone's child while in their house (bad review on TA).

TA is primarily designed to get all kind of reviews (good or bad) as long as they are honest so others can benefit (making a choice for themselves based on review).

Owner of Mystique could not take one bad review and we happened to be billy goat.

I am not looking for any sympathy. I am sharing my experiences and SPG is known about it the moment this happened.

I hope this will clear few clogs and confusion.

Last edited by ngupta; May 29, 2014 at 10:42 am
Old May 29, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: LH HON, AMEX Plat, Avis Pres, Sixt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton G, Priority G, Hyatt Plat,Kempinski PC
Please let us know how SPG corporate handled this.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:57 am

I am curious why would you post such a brutally bad review only after a few hours at the hotel. Seems unfair and reactionary. What did you expect that review would accomplish? Why not let the stay play all the way out and then post a more balanced review.

Originally Posted by ngupta
Being world traveler for 17 years, stayed at Princeville, Waldorf (Hilton), Bora Bora, Westin Times Square, Phoenician to name a few and they do everything in style and never had an iota worth of issue. How come? Gotten upgrades without even asking as GOLD.
You were staying an aspirational boutique hotel. I would never even being platinum expect an upgrade at such a property. If you want a suite pay for a suite. If you have gotten them a the places you mentioned as a GOLD (not sure why you capitalized it) then great for you.

Owner of Mystique could not take one bad review and we happened to be billy goat.
I think you meant scape goat
Old May 29, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Gotta say, I'm with the majority of those who have commented. Based on solely the OP's description of events it sounds like the OP should take most of the blame for what happened. To me, it sounds like the hotel did a very good job of service recovery, but that nothing was good enough.

Throwing around gold status = DYKWIA.

Shower pools up to your ankle = Not a huge problem for me, but it's a big problem for you. Fine. Well, they sent up a plumber immediately, and when they weren't able to fix it to your liking they offered to move you. You refused as you thought the room was a downgrade. They offered to show you three more rooms the next day. You post nasty review on Trip Advisor.

WiFi isn't working properly. See above.

Send you cake...instead of appreciating gesture you complain that they send it too late for you. How are they supposed to know your dessert cut-off time? I'm allergic to chocolate but I've received surprise complementary chocolates/chocolate covered fruit at properties. I don't complain. I'm thankful for the gesture, how are they supposed to know I don't eat chocolate?

Basically, reading your complaint makes me more likely to stay there. Near instant recognition of your complaints (even though they seem rather petty to me), multiple offers to solve them, yet you rejected all of their approaches either directly (saying no to the offered room switch) or indirectly (posting nasty review on TripAdvisor before you'd even seen the 3 rooms they offered to let you choose from). (And seriously, a 1* review for water pooling in the shower and sink + funky wifi? And giving the hotel no credit for sending a plumber, it person and a supervisor to try to fix your issues...)

All that said, throwing you out was a bit drastic, but we don't know the whole story, just the OPs side and it doesn't reflect well on the OP.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Mystique

I rank BoraBora and Princeville way higher than Mystique. It is a different league all together. They have recognized my SPG Gold and has gotten me free breakfast and upgrades.

One thing that I fail to understand is that as proud Americans we always believe in freedom of speech and yet this turned out be a bad move. How bizarre?
Old May 29, 2014, 11:36 am

One thing that I fail to understand is that as proud Americans we always believe in freedom of speech and yet this turned out be a bad move. How bizarre?
And the right of a business owner to refuse service? Or do we pick and choose the rights we want enforced?

From http://www.legalzoom.com/us-law/equa...refuse-service

In cases in which the patron is not a member of a federally protected class, the question generally turns on whether the business's refusal of service was arbitrary, or whether the business had a specific interest in refusing service.
Did the business owner have a specific interest in refusing service in your case? Had you already paid for the service and payment been accepted? Does acceptance of a reservation negate any right to the business to refuse serviceif the specific interest mentioned above comes up subsequent to the reservation acceptance?
The answer to one of these questions I'm pretty sure of - the others no. Nor do I know the Hellenic Code - except beware of Greeks bearing cakes.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by dcstudent
Basically, reading your complaint makes me more likely to stay there.
That was my initial reaction too. I am more inclined to go to this place.

It is not bizarre. If you exert your right to free speech you need to be prepared to deal with the consequences. Ask Donald Sterling about that. The hotel owner exerted his right as a business owner. You messed with the bull and got the horns.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:39 am

Do we have a DYKWIA thread in SPG forum? This could be a start.

The owner ejecting prepaid guest is shocking even if the guest isn't a peach to deal with.

I find it very bizarre that the OP decided to cut his vacation short and went home the next day.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
It seems to me that the hotel genuinely attempted to rectify the issues that OP was having with the drain in his room room and the speed of the WiFi. OP's subsequent actions were unreasonable.

I don't blame the hotel owner. I have no problem with with a business asking a unreasonable customer to vacate its property. Good luck with your, "legal actions against SPG."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.