Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:22 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by maisondubonheur
Tonight is the big night, making it to LTP...after 11 years and just before the deadline of the merge. I stay previous to this, three amazing nights at Le Meridien Mauritius. It may be a package hotel, but I don't remember having received such a welcome from the staff. They are simply amazing.

Yesterday moved to the Westin Mauritius. My Ambassador sent me an email to tell me a special Welcome was organized. Well, it was special....at check-in, they didn't even recognized my basic platinum status...never been asked if I wanted the points or breakfast...never been told about the lounge. I thought....well...they may want to wait to surprise me in the room. Nothing in the room! Just a one room category update. Seriously! GM is out for the week-end. So now the guess....did my new Ambassador did any follow-up? Or is it the property? Guess I will find out Monday.

The new LTP...look like I'm back to zero!

Wish I could have go back to Le Meridien, but they are fully booked. The Westin did make a move after I told them my frustrations. I simply choose the wrong hotel to celebrate. Well, I think for my next visit, it will be Le Meridien...it's all about the people! And yes, I think 500 nights it worth celebrating!
I found the complete opposite, stayed at both for a special anniversary (we actually got married at le tousserok) Meridien horrible. With all inclusive guests getting as much free drink as possible, like a downmarket club med. at the Westin we (at the time grand Mauritian luxury collection) we were treated like vips, upgrade to beachfront suite, complimtary champagne, complimentary bottles of wine at many dinners. I think the problem was that the GM was away at the time which is no excuse!
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by maisondubonheur
Tonight is the big night, making it to LTP...after 11 years and just before the deadline of the merge. I stay previous to this, three amazing nights at Le Meridien Mauritius. It may be a package hotel, but I don't remember having received such a welcome from the staff. They are simply amazing.

Yesterday moved to the Westin Mauritius. My Ambassador sent me an email to tell me a special Welcome was organized. Well, it was special....at check-in, they didn't even recognized my basic platinum status...never been asked if I wanted the points or breakfast...never been told about the lounge. I thought....well...they may want to wait to surprise me in the room. Nothing in the room! Just a one room category update. Seriously! GM is out for the week-end. So now the guess....did my new Ambassador did any follow-up? Or is it the property? Guess I will find out Monday.

The new LTP...look like I'm back to zero!

Wish I could have go back to Le Meridien, but they are fully booked. The Westin did make a move after I told them my frustrations. I simply choose the wrong hotel to celebrate. Well, I think for my next visit, it will be Le Meridien...it's all about the people! And yes, I think 500 nights it worth celebrating!
I just completed a stay at the Westin about 10 days ago. I communicated directly with the hotel when my SNA didn't clear (haven't had much luck with ambassadors) and got upgraded to lovely ocean front suite. What was odd was my welcome gifts were delivered after 4 nights of a 6 night stay.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I made LTP with a stay in an aloft - definitely no mention of the event, nothing special in my room, etc.

Nothing else either on my first stay after the system reflected my LTP status.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:57 pm

Hi -

So I expect to hit 500 nights (with 10+ years as platinum) during 2018.

Does that mean I will be lifetime plat in the combined program? My understanding is that the two program won't merge until Jan 1 2019 -- that the two programs will remain distinct for the 2018 year.

Is this the consensus of what is happening, or was someone just blowing smoke up my a$$?

Thanks in advance for the feedback
Old Oct 15, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

So I expect to hit 500 nights (with 10+ years as platinum) during 2018.

Does that mean I will be lifetime plat in the combined program? My understanding is that the two program won't merge until Jan 1 2019 -- that the two programs will remain distinct for the 2018 year.

Is this the consensus of what is happening, or was someone just blowing smoke up my a$$?

Thanks in advance for the feedback
If you'd read the Wiki at the top of the page, you would see:

Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?

A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
The question is what do they mean by "recognize"? No one knows and I doubt anyone will before they announce the new program.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:32 pm

Hi RogerD408 -

I did read the Wiki.

My question more had to deal with the notion of attaining lifetime status in the same year that the program went away. I get that if I attained lifetime status this year I would have made it.

Conversely, if you had definite knowledge that SPG was going away in 2019, that would also answer my question.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi RogerD408 -

I did read the Wiki.

My question more had to deal with the notion of attaining lifetime status in the same year that the program went away. I get that if I attained lifetime status this year I would have made it.

Conversely, if you had definite knowledge that SPG was going away in 2019, that would also answer my question.
I think it is safe to presume regardless when you earn LT status before the final merger it would be "recognized" in the new program.

Only the Lurkers would have definite knowledge, anyone else is just guessing about when they are going to make the switch and what it might look like.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Only the Lurkers would have definite knowledge
With due respect to the Lurkers, I'm not sure that statement is a racing certainty at this time.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
With due respect to the Lurkers, I'm not sure that statement is a racing certainty at this time.
I'm not saying that they do have knowledge, just that they are the only ones I would trust saying what's coming up. FT'ers can only guess until a formal announcement is made.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:09 am

Hi -

I put this kind of question to the FT community. As an example (slightly OT), the AS board reported that there are no more VX flights loaded for sale after 4/25/18 (which is the case) -- and there is still no "official" word from Alaska Airlines yet.

Often I find FT boards report things found online from official websites (like spg.com, alaska air.com, etc) before any press release.

Last edited by Orwaid; Nov 8, 2017 at 8:30 am
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Keyser
13 more nights to go for lifetime platinum....should hopefully have them complete by the end of next month....
Well? Status update please? Estimated date of attaining LTP? And have you decided yet where the event will occur, perhaps a favorite Starwood or some special aspirational property?

Just to encourage you, today I received a surprise gift from Starwood: A very nice personalized Sheraton bathrobe, of the summer weight "waffle" fabric variety. There was also a lovely handwritten note, but with no name and no indication of the location that may have initiated the gift, so unfortunately I have no way to say "thank you." [I don't have an Ambassador.]
remymartin likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
Made LTP a little over a month ago and just received my LTP welcome packet/card, but it was just a regular old plastic card (though it says Lifetime Plat where it used to say Lifetime Gold). Wondering if the metal one comes later or if I’m destined for Lifetime Plastic...
Came home to a FedEx box with my actual LTP welcome kit complete with metal card today. It included the aforementioned world map with dots where I’ve stayed at SPG properties, but at casual glance, I noticed a dozen or so cities that I’ve stayed in SPG properties that weren’t on the map. Still excited to receive it...
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Well? Status update please? Estimated date of attaining LTP? And have you decided yet where the event will occur, perhaps a favorite Starwood or some special aspirational property?
its been slightly slow going for me as far as spg is concerned....most of my recent travel has been to a city with no spg properties so i'm still 7 nights short....have no further spg stays this month but i do have at least 8 nights already booked for next month so will hit my target then....as of now it looks like my 500th night will be at the le méridien abu dhabi....

Just to encourage you, today I received a surprise gift from Starwood: A very nice personalized Sheraton bathrobe, of the summer weight "waffle" fabric variety. There was also a lovely handwritten note, but with no name and no indication of the location that may have initiated the gift, so unfortunately I have no way to say "thank you." [I don't have an Ambassador.]
very nice....my ambassador does send me cards & small gifts for my birthday so hopefully i'll get something nice when i get to lifetime status....
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Lucky you with a good Ambassador, but I'm surprised that someone with an Ambassador is short nights rather than Plat years for LTP. With 100+ nights per year, 500 nights should be easy for you, no? For example, as an extreme example, four years as Amb at 100 nights plus six years at PlatMinus with exactly 25 stays and 25 nights is still 550 nights. Three years of barely qualifying for Amb and seven years of PlatMinus would mean only 475 nights, so I guess I'm getting warmer in my attempts to guess your pattern.

For me, my first year of making Plat I had about 90 nights (and perhaps only about ten days) and then my usual pattern was close to 30 stays and perhaps 40 nights, until I started watching both nights and stays more carefully after a miserable initial year as PlatMinus. So for me, the requirements of ten years as earned Plat and 500 nights were satisfied almost simultaneously without and deliberate choices on my part.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Lucky you with a good Ambassador, but I'm surprised that someone with an Ambassador is short nights rather than Plat years for LTP. With 100+ nights per year, 500 nights should be easy for you, no? For example, as an extreme example, four years as Amb at 100 nights plus six years at PlatMinus with exactly 25 stays and 25 nights is still 550 nights. Three years of barely qualifying for Amb and seven years of PlatMinus would mean only 475 nights, so I guess I'm getting warmer in my attempts to guess your pattern.

For me, my first year of making Plat I had about 90 nights (and perhaps only about ten days) and then my usual pattern was close to 30 stays and perhaps 40 nights, until I started watching both nights and stays more carefully after a miserable initial year as PlatMinus. So for me, the requirements of ten years as earned Plat and 500 nights were satisfied almost simultaneously without and deliberate choices on my part.
hilton & ihg used to be my primary programs when i first started staying with spg 10 years ago....slowly i started using spg more but initially my travels used to take me to places without too many spg options....i had under 200 nights in my first 6-7 years with spg....the last 3 years each have been 100+ nights....

i end up having a lot of 1 or 2 night stays so for the last few years i've ended up with about 75-80 stays & around 110 nights a year....

my biggest problem is that i end up having 30-40 nights a year at spg properties that don't count towards status since they are booked & paid for directly by my client as they book through their travel agency....if those counted then i would have been over 750 nights already....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.