Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:27 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JackE
I got LTP around the time of the acquisition, but I don't understand the enthusiasm for it. It's a dead end if Marriott reneges on transferring it to MR.
AFAICT, no one has been so stupid as to do that in the past (renege on a promise to honor lifetime status from someone they merged with). I believe that even when American acquired SOME of the assets of TWA from bankruptcy, they honored all the programs.

-Rick, proud owner of a Lifetime Delta Sky Club Membership (This is something you could never buy directly; Delta went so far as to honor lifetime commitments to Northwest flyers even when they didn't have an equivalent program.)
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by GVA
As far as I'm concerned if It doesn't transfer over to MR then I will proactively avoid Marriott properties. I'm sure many would do the same and Marriott knows this, reason why I believe it will transfer over.
MaRiot will either honour midtier LT status for LTP by reshuffling tiers or add 0 benefits to Mumbojumbo Rewards Platinum. Either way you'll end up disappointed
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:09 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by remymartin
MaRiot will either honour midtier LT status for LTP by reshuffling tiers or add 0 benefits to Mumbojumbo Rewards Platinum. Either way you'll end up disappointed
What makes you think that? That would be kissing off most of the Starwood FTs.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:23 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
I wonder if your basis for the front desk to make is because you are SPG Plat (LTG)

Originally Posted by controller1
Why should LT be the tie breaker?

If I'm the front office manager and I have a Lifetime Platinum with 10 years of Platinum and 525 nights vs. a Platinum (Lifetime Gold) with six years of Platinum and 725 nights, my one available upgrade is not going to the Lifetime Platinum.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by stc
AFAICT, no one has been so stupid as to do that in the past (renege on a promise to honor lifetime status from someone they merged with).
That sounds reasonable except that if it were that cut-and-dried Marriott would have already announced "Of course we'll honor SPG LTP."
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by stc
MaRiot knows FTers are a negligible part of the the spg programme members. Given the very different way of earning / renewing status in the two programmes, it is quite certain reshuffling will occur. And the new top tier will be nowhere near as beneficial as the current SPG Platinum status.

Whoever codes a paid cheat sheet app for smartphones that explains how many rolls of toilet paper a MR Super Platinum will get at JW MaRiot versus Courtyard by MaRiot will make a living from it.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:39 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GVA
As far as I'm concerned if It doesn't transfer over to MR then I will proactively avoid Marriott properties. I'm sure many would do the same and Marriott knows this, reason why I believe it will transfer over.
In case anyone is keeping count. my feelings are identical. Between SPG and Marriott I'm probably averaging 75 nights a year (majority SPG).
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Im 6 off lifetime platinum but no hotels close to me for under $A200 pn. really worried that they are going to can before I get to the 500,
staying at the crappy four points Barcelona just to get 2 nts in.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:56 am

I agree with the sentiment here that Marriott will keep existing SPG lifetime status, so as not to lose them completely, but it is rather concerning that they still haven't said so.

I have over 100 nights this year already, pretty evenly split between SPG and Marriott. I'm close to making LT status, and will be pretty irritated if they significantly change the requirements for LT Gold/Plat.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jasong83
I agree with the sentiment here that Marriott will keep existing SPG lifetime status, so as not to lose them completely, but it is rather concerning that they still haven't said so.

I have over 100 nights this year already, pretty evenly split between SPG and Marriott. I'm close to making LT status, and will be pretty irritated if they significantly change the requirements for LT Gold/Plat.
This happens with products too. If the manufacturer announces they are going to release a newer product in two years, their sales can/will plummet until they can release the new product. Customers are fickle and even if they can get value out of the current offering they will wait for the latest and greatest. Don't hold your breath trying to second guess what they might do, but make your decisions today based upon what they are doing today. They are two separate products with sharing options, choose what makes sense given what you know vs what might happen.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by stc
One way MAR could spin it is to create a diluted tier called Platinum (mix between MR Gold PLT Platinum) and create a higher tier Platinum+ which more resembles SPG Platinum then phase LT SPG Platinum (and possible LTG) into the new tiers based on the number of total nights .... you can still say you "honored" LTP with SPG ...
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:07 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by aussielori
Im 6 off lifetime platinum but no hotels close to me for under $A200 pn. really worried that they are going to can before I get to the 500,
staying at the crappy four points Barcelona just to get 2 nts in.
Worthwhile noting that said hotel is really not that crappy - especially if your limit is only $A200 a night!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
Nice "Thank You" card and shave kit from Lurker staff

I came home from an extended vacation yesterday and found a very nice surprise waiting for me, a personal hand written card enclosed in a Harry Shave kit gift box! It was signed from "The team of Starwood Lurkers". I am very impressed and tried for 30 minutes searching to see if there was a new thread on this but could find no mention of it during several search attempts. So I thought this tread would likely be Ok since it was started by a lurker to answer questions and there has been a long discussion about lifetime status. I am a Lifetime Plat with Starwood and Marriott and the not to me mentioned my lifetime Platinum status with Starwood.
So if you "Starwood Lurkers" are out there lurking I would like to say.....

"Thank you very much for the note and thoughtful gift"!

MM/PM Widget
I was going to post a picture but could not figure out how to do that, sorry
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by MM/PM widget
I came home from an extended vacation yesterday and found a very nice surprise waiting for me, a personal hand written card enclosed in a Harry Shave kit gift box! It was signed from "The team of Starwood Lurkers". I am very impressed and tried for 30 minutes searching to see if there was a new thread on this but could find no mention of it during several search attempts. So I thought this tread would likely be Ok since it was started by a lurker to answer questions and there has been a long discussion about lifetime status. I am a Lifetime Plat with Starwood and Marriott and the not to me mentioned my lifetime Platinum status with Starwood.
So if you "Starwood Lurkers" are out there lurking I would like to say.....

"Thank you very much for the note and thoughtful gift"!

MM/PM Widget
I was going to post a picture but could not figure out how to do that, sorry
Nice gesture. Hope this doesn't take a "but I didn't get one!" turn.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RogerD408
This happens with products too. If the manufacturer announces they are going to release a newer product in two years, their sales can/will plummet until they can release the new product. Customers are fickle and even if they can get value out of the current offering they will wait for the latest and greatest. Don't hold your breath trying to second guess what they might do, but make your decisions today based upon what they are doing today. They are two separate products with sharing options, choose what makes sense given what you know vs what might happen.
If you were at 499 nights SPG, that wouldn't tip the scale towards your hitting 500 even if you preferred a Marriott?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.