Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
used all 10 of mine back to back years.... hope that 2015 is the same)
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
for those that continually have them expire, i believe you are not doing a very good job of planning.
for those who have continually had them expire, what planning tips could you share to help improve their chances in future ?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
for those who have continually had them expire, what planning tips could you share to help improve their chances in future ?
Seriously? All kinds of planning tips have been provided in in this forum to improve upgrade success, including SNAs: day of the week, researching low versus high occupancy properties/suburbs versus downtown, checking off all options, time of year, booking multiple properties in the same city, building relationships with properties and staff, etc...

I could give more, but need to return from the pool to my upgraded suite now.

Cheers,
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:48 pm

it is silly to view it like that. by that notion, earned awards like free night promotions should remain in your account forever. hotels care more about getting you through the doors in the next 5 weeks than in the next 5 years. by putting time limits on earned awards, it drives traffic in the next quarter, which is what satisfies shareholders and keeps the decision-makers in power.
You won't think it's silly when you can actually look deeper and think boarder, and not just see what's in front of your eyes. I'm Plat50 because I have a job that requires me to travel most of the time, and my companies pay for my trips. Starwoods already has me and my business, and I'm locked into Starwoods to accumulate points and rewards. SNAs, while nice, doesn't really give me a big wow since I'm traveling by myself at work.

Now, in another 10 years I'll probably retired for good, no way traveling in Plat50 levels. But I do plan to travel around 25-30 nights a year with wife. Without the SNAs what entices me of have to stay at Starwood properties versus other quality chains? Nothing really.

However, say I have 100 SNAs to use after retirement. Do you think I would let them go to waste or actually try to use it by ONLY staying with Starwood properties? Would you think your stock holders will be happy knowing people will stay with Starwoods for life and not just a short span of years at a time and then never getting their business again?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
....However, say I have 100 SNAs to use after retirement....
Those retirees will crowd out younger active Starwood Platinum guests who don't have loads of SNAs available. Guess who Starwood is more interested in attracting loyalty? Young Starwood Platinums or retirees?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:05 pm

That might be the best idea yet, allow SNA's to convert to 10k points/per SNA at the end of the calendar year if you are going to force us to lose them.

If you won't give us confirmed suite upgrades like Hyatt, at least give us a tangible gift. Or else working to achieve platinum is pretty useless unless you really value the extra points.

I think SNAs should be like points, as long as you have activities on your account, it should never expire. Someone made a valid point that someone might just save it till the end, or save as much as hundreds of SNAs to use at later date. However, doesn't the point of SNA encourages people to only stay at Starwoods properties? If I'm retired and lost my Plat because of less travels, the only incentive for me to stay loyal to SPG is extra benefits like SNAs. Otherwise, I have zero incentive to only stay at SPG hotels when there are other, sometimes better, products everywhere.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:08 pm

This is a great point. And I want to add that just because we are business travelers, DOESN'T mean Starwood gets my business. If anything, I have all the more income to spend on whatever chain I so choose. And I am going to choose the chains that give me confirmed suite upgrades.

So yeah, if you want me to be a long time valuable guest, let me hang onto those SNA's forever...

You won't think it's silly when you can actually look deeper and think boarder, and not just see what's in front of your eyes. I'm Plat50 because I have a job that requires me to travel most of the time, and my companies pay for my trips. Starwoods already has me and my business, and I'm locked into Starwoods to accumulate points and rewards. SNAs, while nice, doesn't really give me a big wow since I'm traveling by myself at work.

Now, in another 10 years I'll probably retired for good, no way traveling in Plat50 levels. But I do plan to travel around 25-30 nights a year with wife. Without the SNAs what entices me of have to stay at Starwood properties versus other quality chains? Nothing really.

However, say I have 100 SNAs to use after retirement. Do you think I would let them go to waste or actually try to use it by ONLY staying with Starwood properties? Would you think your stock holders will be happy knowing people will stay with Starwoods for life and not just a short span of years at a time and then never getting their business again?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Rambuster
5 out of my 10 expired. I could not get them confirmed in 2014...
Five out of my 15 expired. I use hotels nearly exclusively in APAC and my PLT suite upgrade percentage is sufficiently high that I rarely have occasion to use an SNA. Travel around this region enough and you'll know which hotels tend to be problematical for PLT upgrades.

But CB, -- won't you be PLT for life by then?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:19 pm

Okay, perhaps slightly bad timing given all the talk of not being able to use them and letting them expire... but:

I am currently SPG Gold, doing the Plat challenge (which will be done by February), and will likely stay 50 nights by March or April.

Do I become Plat50 this year as soon as I complete the 50 nights, or do I have to wait until next year to receive the SNAs?

Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by stargold
Okay, perhaps slightly bad timing given all the talk of not being able to use them and letting them expire... but:

I am currently SPG Gold, doing the Plat challenge (which will be done by February), and will likely stay 50 nights by March or April.

Do I become Plat50 this year as soon as I complete the 50 nights, or do I have to wait until next year to receive the SNAs?

Thanks
they deposit as soon as your 50th night posts.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:07 am

they deposit as soon as your 50th night posts.
Fantastic - many thanks for the confirmation taipeiflyer ^
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Five out of my 15 expired. I use hotels nearly exclusively in APAC and my PLT suite upgrade percentage is sufficiently high that I rarely have occasion to use an SNA. Travel around this region enough and you'll know which hotels tend to be problematical for PLT upgrades.
How did you get 15 SNAs to have all 15 expire at once now? AFAIK someone should have at most 10 now that were earned for 2013 nights and Have just expired if they were still unused plus 10 earned for night's stayed in 2014 which are good through the end of 2015.

But CB, -- won't you be PLT for life by then?
LTP is only PlatMinus, not Plat50.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: AA, Starwood
I just had ALL my Suite Night Awards expire - - all of them - and I tried using them 6 times. I was also Ambassador status, which was a joke I got nothing from my ambassador at all. Starwood's Frequent customer motto: "Over-promise, Under-deliver"
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:02 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How did you get 15 SNAs to have all 15 expire at once now? AFAIK someone should have at most 10 now that were earned for 2013 nights and Have just expired if they were still unused plus 10 earned for night's stayed in 2014 which are good through the end of 2015.
When we originally got the 10 SNAs in early 2012 their expiry was for the end of the following calendar year. So if you then got 10 SNAs for 2012 for hitting 50 nights in that calendar year you would have 20 SNAs that expired at the same time as the originals. If you then got 10 more in the 2013 when re-qualifying, like me, you then had 30 SNAs in your account.

From this thread in April 2013:
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Haven't tried to use them yet, but now that I have 30, time to start trying to burn.
Like Dr. HFH most of my travel is in Asia and I rarely have to use them to get upgrades. I burn mine normally in Tel Aviv.

Originally Posted by Justask70
I just had ALL my Suite Night Awards expire - - all of them - and I tried using them 6 times. I was also Ambassador status, which was a joke I got nothing from my ambassador at all. Starwood's Frequent customer motto: "Over-promise, Under-deliver"
We seem to have different experiences. What happened when you tried to use the SNAs? Where do you usual travel? How did you try to leverage your Ambassador?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If the point is to incent folks to stay 50 nights, as opposed to 25 stays or lifetime plat, it fails. The fact that I can successfully redeem them when I don't really care about the upgrade is moot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.