Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by dingo
I'd be curious to hear when the hotels can and would do this.
Automated system applies the SNA and the upgrade. Hotel staff start playing around with inventory and didn't spot that it was a SNA upgrade and changed the room. Was human error in my case.

Keep in mind that hotels can further upgrade above the level of the SNA room, so where the is human interaction, there is also an opportunity for error, albeit small.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I would keep the upgrade and ask hotel/SPG to refund my SNAs.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I would keep the upgrade and ask hotel/SPG to refund my SNAs.
I'd ask for the SNA's back and ask for the room that had been given under the SNA process as well.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
I'd wait to see what my Ambassador could do about it before involving ANYONE else. Otherwise, what's the point of contacting him/her?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Be a jerk, refuse to leave?

Hi, bringing back this thread. A related but not exactly the same type of issue:

If you check in to a hotel and are offered a higher cat room for half of your stay can the hotel downgrade you mid stay if they no longer have the cat available for the remainder of that stay?

What if you are a STINKER and, even though they warned you at check in that a downgrade might happen, you refuse to leave the room?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by weezl
Hi, bringing back this thread. A related but not exactly the same type of issue:

If you check in to a hotel and are offered a higher cat room for half of your stay can the hotel downgrade you mid stay if they no longer have the cat available for the remainder of that stay?

What if you are a STINKER and, even though they warned you at check in that a downgrade might happen, you refuse to leave the room?
IME very few properties will upgrade you for only part of your stay. But if they do and you refuse to change rooms, just like if you extend your stay in any room, they have the right to charge you rack rate from that point on. Your quoted room rate is only valid for the stated duration of your initial stay. Different states have different rule regarding evicting hotel guests, but they can make it very expensive.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by weezl

If they offer you an upgrade for half your stay, with the agreement that you'll move to a lower category for the second half of your stay, and you agree to it, then yes, they can do what they offered and you agreed to. Is this a misunderstanding, or is there some reason you think your agreement wouldn't be in force?

If you refuse to move, they could either move your things for you, or charge you the full rack rate for the room you are staying in.

If I was the manager, I might also let it slip to the party that had the reservation for your room, and had to be involuntarily downgraded, which room they would have had if the current occupant hadn't stayed beyond their agreement. And put a note in your file for all future stays - good luck with future treatment. But maybe that's just me.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:33 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by sme2009
I have an upcoming stay this Friday for 3 nights. Yesterday I was sent a confirmation from the hotel that my room was upgraded to a Deluxe Suite per my SNA certs. This morning, I received an e-mail from the hotel reservation agent stating that the confirmation was sent in error and that the room was unavailable for Friday night and offering me the option of a standard room Friday and moving to the upgraded to the Deluxe Suite Saturday and Sunday, or a lower level accommodation for 3 nights with a refund of my SNAs. The downgrade is significant (room half the size and in the center of the hotel as opposed to a corner with prime ocean view), but given I'm at the end of a long 5 stop business trip, I don't feel like moving rooms either.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this? SPG told me that there has to be availability in the res system or there's no way the upgrade can be confirmed. Also, if I help them out, should I expect some sort of compensation, or is this just the way the cookie crumbles?
I'd ask for verifiable confirmation that the suite was not available at the time of your upgrade announcement. In other words, I would ask them to show me that somebody else had already booked it by that time.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by NDN
I'd ask for verifiable confirmation that the suite was not available at the time of your upgrade announcement. In other words, I would ask them to show me that somebody else had already booked it by that time.
The hotel doesn't have to show you that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that information is proprietary.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by NDN
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
The hotel doesn't have to show you that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that information is proprietary.
Yes, it would be totally inappropriate to show any guest info. Plus, if they are going to lie about availability don't you think they would lie about bookings? The best bet would be to ask for a manager and let them know how the property had let you down based upon prior communications and if they are unwilling to make good (and that's their choice) walk away.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:17 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, it would be totally inappropriate to show any guest info. Plus, if they are going to lie about availability don't you think they would lie about bookings? The best bet would be to ask for a manager and let them know how the property had let you down based upon prior communications and if they are unwilling to make good (and that's their choice) walk away.
That's the point. If you get them to do something they are not allowed to do, you can really win anything over them. If they don't show anything, you win because you can openly accuse them of lying. This is a last resort when the hotel just doesn't care to make amends.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Interested to hear peoples thoughts. Staying this weekend (Fri-Mon) at the Tremont Chicago and applied my SNA's. With that, got the e-mail saying they could not find a room for me--which I thought to be odd since their page is showing all sorts of availability for a variety of room types.

Call plat concierge and she tells me that the room type is indeed available, but they cannot confirm the room for me until 1 day prior. When I quote the website "We’ll start looking for available upgrades five days before your stay. If we find one, it’s yours, and we’ll email you at the email address on your SPG profile as soon as possible.", she says that isn't how it works.

I hang up--call back, and get a similar answer from another rep.

Is this something new? If the room is available at 5 days prior, should I not be confirmed?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
Interested to hear peoples thoughts. Staying this weekend (Fri-Mon) at the Tremont Chicago and applied my SNA's. With that, got the e-mail saying they could not find a room for me--which I thought to be odd since their page is showing all sorts of availability for a variety of room types.

Call plat concierge and she tells me that the room type is indeed available, but they cannot confirm the room for me until 1 day prior. When I quote the website "We’ll start looking for available upgrades five days before your stay. If we find one, it’s yours, and we’ll email you at the email address on your SPG profile as soon as possible.", she says that isn't how it works.

Is this something new? If the room is available at 5 days prior, should I not be confirmed?
The SNA program is all but transparent. Seems to be several loopholes some of them being system glitches. I find many CSRs will make up stories to support what is happening without taking up the torch to check things out. However, we are lucky enough to have the Lurkers on-board. You might want to contact them directly through eMail or PM and provide your reservation info so they can look a bit deeper into why you haven't been cleared.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by youvesaiditall

Just because a hotel is willing to sell a particular room does not mean it falls into the definition of "available" for SNA's.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dingo
Just because a hotel is willing to sell a particular room does not mean it falls into the definition of "available" for SNA's.
Yes, but hopefully the Plat Desk staff has visibility to more refined details. Either that or they also fall prey to it's on the web so must be available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.