Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG launches new social currency platform. Earn bonus Starpoints and more.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG launches new social currency platform. Earn bonus Starpoints and more.

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by ttusqrl
People, there are T&C links for a reason! They say all SPG participating hotels count, that award stays count, that you only get one bonus for a 24 hour period, that you have to have your account linked at the time of the reservation and check in, so on and so forth. READ THE T&Cs AND FAQs!

I would need some Valium or a lot of Johnny blue if I was a lurker...
actually, i read the terms, and they did NOT state that ALL SPG hotels were participating or that award stays count. If the terms do state that, please quote them as I've obviously missed it three times.
Old May 10, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mrredskin
actually, i read the terms, and they did NOT state that ALL SPG hotels were participating or that award stays count. If the terms do state that, please quote them as I've obviously missed it three times.
From the FAQ:

For SPG foursquare specials with a confirmed reservation, if part of my stay has an Award Night or a night using Cash & Points, does my stay qualify?
Yes, Award Night and Cash & Points reservations are eligible for SPG foursquare check in specials. Please ensure the reservation number for your stay is under the same SPG number you have associated with your foursquare account.
Old May 10, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K Million Miler, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.246 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Question dor those of us who have not graduated from Facebook or Twitter - what is foursquare?
Old May 10, 2011, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by bradj
Reading the T&C it says that you must checkin with foursquare and have a reservation. It doesn't say anything about having to use GPS checkin with a mobile phone.
It depends on how starwood is awarding these points. SPG has the ability of only letting you "unlock" the 250 points by physically checking to a property. (Foursquare app, it has nothing to do with SPG) You won't be able to unlock it unless you physically check in via GPS. Also, as I said earlier, you will not be eligible to become SPG mayor or win a free resort night by checking in remotely.
Old May 10, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K Million Miler, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.246 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Question for those of us who have not graduated from Facebook or Twitter - what is foursquare?
Old May 10, 2011, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by denis in denver
what is foursquare?
http://foursquare.com/
Old May 10, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by denis in denver

Question for those of us who have not graduated from Facebook or Twitter - what is foursquare?
OK not everyone fools around with social media but surely you have come across search engines? http://www.google.com/search?q=foursquare
Old May 10, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
You won't be able to unlock it unless you physically check in via GPS.
It does not say this anywhere in the T&C. Not everyone has a GPS-capable phone, and I'm not about to pay for international roaming on several upcoming stays in Asia. Since you have to physically check in to the hotel, there's no doubt that you're actually there and absolutely no reason for them to require a GPS checkin.
Old May 10, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
(*wakes up*)I do remember dreaming something about large rubber playground balls...(*dozes off again*)
Old May 10, 2011, 3:12 pm

I'm staying at a W tonight, and I just checked in using the mobile check in web site.

Do I need to do anything else? (I created the foursquare account and linked them, etc.)

Thanks,
David
Old May 10, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mrredskin
absolutely. you would have to hotel hop every day of the month to get 30. there is no listed incentive for becoming "mayor", either.
Well there is the prestige of being the SPG Mayor, and naturally all the fame, status, and women that go along with it.
Old May 10, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by yvr76
Well there is the prestige of being the SPG Mayor, and naturally all the fame, status, and women that go along with it.
I've been a foursquare SPG hotel mayor in Chicago for a couple of months now. I'm still waiting for the prestige, fame, status and status. Heck, I have all these loyalty status and foursquare badges, might as well go for the official SPG mayorship.
Old May 10, 2011, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It does not say this anywhere in the T&C. Not everyone has a GPS-capable phone, and I'm not about to pay for international roaming on several upcoming stays in Asia. Since you have to physically check in to the hotel, there's no doubt that you're actually there and absolutely no reason for them to require a GPS checkin.
This is not really about SPG. This is how foursquare works. In order to unlock a foursquare associated special offer with a partner, foursquare requires a physical check in in order to unlock it. This makes people actually visit the merchant instead of checking in remotely.

Also, you don't 100% need GPS in order to be physcally checking in. You could also use wifi. Foursquare determines your location by the wifi's IP address. Any device that supports foursquare app work, like ipad.

SPG may choose to award the points a different way, but this is normally how the foursquare promotion works.
Old May 10, 2011, 5:22 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by estnet
okay I seem to have figured this out BUT I'm not so sure I feel comfortable with so many "infringements" on my privacy
fake info?
Old May 10, 2011, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Also, you don't 100% need GPS in order to be physcally checking in. You could also use wifi. Foursquare determines your location by the wifi's IP address.
But it sounds like that still requires the app. There's no way to get it to work using the mobile site on a laptop?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.