Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Maria Isabel, Mexico City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Maria Isabel, Mexico City [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Just spent 4 nights at the Sheraton Maria Isabel and was very pleased with the stay.

Checked in using the special reception room for Platinum & Gold members as well as their VIPs, and the check-in people were very nice and friendly.

Was informed that I was upgraded to a suite without asking ^ - in fact, my key was in a blue SPG cardboard jacket with the word "Upgraded" embossed on it - very nice! They asked if I wanted points for my amenities or a bottle of wine, and I went for the wine, which was an excellent domestic Domecq Cabernet Sauvignon.

The refurbished suite was very large, with a living room area, a wet bar and a large marble top work desk, but no wall separation between the living area and the beds area (the 2 double beds are in plain sight) - instead the separation was achieved with the 40" flat screen TV and the TV stand which doubles as the clothes chest. Furnitures look fairly new and the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed was good as expected. High speed Internet (wired and wireless) was a reasonable 170 pesos per day.

Bathroom was small but nice and well lit, and stocked with the standard Bliss Sheraton toiletries. They provided 3 to 4 small bottles of Bonnafont water compliments of Starwood Preferred Guest.

The housekeeping service was excellent throughout the stay, as the crisp sheets were meticulously folded back in a turndown manner, TV remote put on my bed with the evening treat, and so on. It's the little things that make a difference sometime in a stay.

The very large Executive Lounge is on the 18th floor with a sweeping view of the city below, serving an excellent breakfast with smoked salmon, cold cut, fresh fruits, eggs, sausage, bacon, and assorted juices. The excellent coffee is poured at your table by the attendants. The Lounge is open for breakfast from 6:30AM until 11:30AM, much later than most lounges that I've been to.

In the evening, they serve hot and cold canapes along with 1 (or 2) complimentary beer, wine or cocktail. The food is passable, but relaxing in that Lounge is a nice ending to a hard day at work ^ If you like beer, be sure to ask for a "michilada" where they combine a beer of your choice (such as Corona, Sol, Modelo Negro) with lemon juice and salt the rim around the glass - fantastico! ^

The lobby bar is not bad (nice Don Julio Reposado margaritas) and boast a serviceable sushi bar (it's so so sushi, not as good as the Mikado Japanese restaurant 2 or 3 blocks away on Reforma). But one evening after I got back from work late (9:30PM) I called Room Service and asked if I can order from the sushi bar and have it delivered to my room, and they gladly accommodated me -a nice touch.

Will stay here again due to this positive experience and the hotel is very close to my office. Mexico City can be such a dangerous place these days (there was a drug related murder at a Starbucks not too far away) with paramilitary policemen in bullet proof vests and machine guns everywhere. Security at the Maria Isabel appears to be good and you must insert your card key into the elevator to reach any floor, which adds to the peace of mind.

Last edited by sapguy; Dec 5, 2009 at 7:40 am
Old Dec 5, 2009, 9:33 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
sapguy,

Great report; From your description you seem to have been in the nice suites accross the elevators or eventually the ones down the corridor, spacious indeed.

Those rooms usually feature a butler service as well; On your next stay you may want to pamper yourself being woken up by the buttler service, which includes a wake up call plus coffee/tea, orange juice and a croissant served at your bedroom. Once becoming a real regular guest of the hotel, prepare yourself to becoming more pampered, with a nice sweet desert every evening in your room. They really care.

Sparing a few hours at the Starbucks downstairs is also great to be with different people, other than hotel guests.

Glad to know you enjoyed your stay there !
Old Dec 5, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
My suite was indeed directly across from the elevator.

Yes, there was butler service, and the butler brought me a glass of Champagne and orange juice when I arrived.

I will try for the breakfast in the room experience the next time ^

They left me fruit plates a couple of nights too. Not bad at all, and to think that many people on this thread have slammed this hotel. Yes, there was a time when it was not that up to par, but it would appear that they have made a lot of improvements since then.

I in Mexico City for work, so I do mingle with lots of other people and not just hotel guests

I notice that you are in GRU. I stayed at the Hilton Morumbi a couple of weeks ago, but saw a Sheraton right behind it. Any experience with that Sheraton?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I am here now, and this seems like a nice place. I am only SPG gold right now, but I was upgraded to the towers and brought to the VIP section to check in. I have access to the lounge, but haven't been up there yet, and may not use it since I'm on the go a bunch this trip.

Internet access is $20/day but free in the Link if you want to use it downstairs.

The gym is $12/day, but it looks like they waived it for me

An interesting thing is that all room service items appear as single charges on your folio. For example, if you order a meal, a beverage, and a dessert, and tip the server then you will have four room service charges on your folio. Its not a big deal at all, but at first glance I didn't pick up on it and thought I had been charged four times.

If you get a cab from the font of the hotel and are on a budget then be sure to ask for a normal taxi. Otherwise they might put you in an executive car which will be more expensive. It really isn't that much more (about 1.5x the cab price), but some may be wondering.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by omegadeal
If you get a cab from the font of the hotel and are on a budget then be sure to ask for a normal taxi. Otherwise they might put you in an executive car which will be more expensive. It really isn't that much more (about 1.5x the cab price), but some may be wondering.
If you are not familiar with Mexico City (a quite dangerous place for neophyte), then may be an executive car would be a good idea. I always insist that my company pays for a car service to pick me up at the airport, and to be driven around to see clients as needed.

If you are fluent in Spanish and know your way around Mexico City, then take the white cab with brown stripes. And here is a tip: if you take it right in front of the hotel, they will charge a higher rate than if you walk a block to be in front of the Sanborn department store and hail a cab there. But like I said, unless you're fluent in Spanish and know your way around Mexico City, I do not recommend it since you could be kidnapped or robbed if they know that you're an unsuspecting tourist.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by sapguy
... unless you're fluent in Spanish and know your way around Mexico City, I do not recommend it since you could be kidnapped or robbed if they know that you're an unsuspecting tourist.
Absolutely excellent advice. For anyone out there who reads this post and is planning a trip to MEX, please heed this advice. It's simply not worth the small savings to risk a potential very serious situation. Don't risk it!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:09 pm

Stay Report Sheraton Maria

Here from April 9-20th. Arrived to the hotel and was upgraded to a two room suite on the 7th floor overlooking reforma and the Angel.

General Comments, the hotel is looking slightly dated from a decor standpoint.

I have a separate room with a couch, table and chairs. Chairs and couch are looking a little tired but still in pretty good shape.

The bed is a sheraton sleeper and is great. Pillows (2 nice one and 2 not nice ones).

Have access to the Gym, nice (Up charge if you book the basic rooms)
Internet wired and wireless are 190 pesos for every 24 hours (pretty standard for Mexico)

The Roof has a small pool and some nice views.

ATM is located in basement by the Valet.

Nice lobby bar, offering sushi (ok not as good as the Niko), and a couple of small apps during HH.

If you have club access a free drink and more food.

There is a second bar called joronado which is a Mexican Mariachi bar. Free for guest otherwise 150 peso cover.

Also you have a couple of gift shops, starbucks and Manhattan deli in a small concourse that is reachable from inside the hotel.

Near by -the Angel, Zona Rosa, Torre Mayo and the Park.

Short cab ride to Polacno, condessa and zolaco.

Long Cab ride to Santa Fe.

Special Tourist taxi are here and are considered the safest means of transport in the city for tourist. Prices are posted outside by the front door, you can pay peso or for a fee charge to your room via the Front Desk.

Other things near by, Sanborn's (drug store to the right of the hotel as you exit). Acros the Street is HSBC (ATM). Hotel is Banomex, several more are on the side about one block away.

Several nice places are loacted on Rio Tibor which is the road at the rear of the hotel.

If you cross the street to the Zona Rosa (During the Day) you can find about 100 places to eat including VIPS, Mcdonalds, subway, dunkin dounts, wendays, Konditorro, Itianlians, Angus, and many others. Be careful if walk in the area at night.

Two Markets in the Zona Rosa, one is located about 4 blocks away and is called the Plaza de Angel which is a super cool antique market. Then another block away is artist Market (Translated tourist Market) selling many local items.

If you walk down Reforma past the Zona Rosa is a large Mall with Pf Chang and several other American chain places.

Of Course the hotel is next to the Embassy so you may have VIP's staying at the hotel which can increase the security around the hotel.

On Sunday Mornings Reforma is closed and you can ride bikes or roller blade down it. Ask the Front desk where to get a bike.

If you walk down to Torre Mayo be sure to have a meal a Los Canaries. One of the best places in the city.

Staff was super friendly and helpful.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:28 pm

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
I stayed for one night at this hotel a few days ago. I thought the hotel average or less than average, maybe because it was immediately after my excellent stay at Hilton Mexico City Reforma, formerly Sheraton Centro Historico. The building is old with low ceiling even in the lobby level.

I asked if I got a suite at the time of check-in, but I was simply told "no". I did not find their guest services anything outstanding, but they seemed more like they were just doing their job. My room was on the 9th floor overlooking the monument, but rather small. It was a pleasant surprise to find 2 glasses of spakling wine and orange juice when I returned to the room in the evening. I had access to the club lounge. I guess it is nice for North American standards, but most club lounges are better in Asia IMO.

I would probably choose to stay at other hotels in Mexico City next time unless SPG had great promos.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
While the room decor leaves a bit to be desired (it's a bit dated), the staff were extremely courteous to me on check-in, and I was pre-blocked into a fairly large suite. The suite itself, while large, looked like it had last seen a furniture refresh in about 1992, and didn't have much in the way of lighting:

Suite Living Room

Random Spot to Place a Microwave

Suite Bedroom

Suite Bathroom

Bath/Shower Combo
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
While the room decor leaves a bit to be desired (it's a bit dated), the staff were extremely courteous to me on check-in, and I was pre-blocked into a fairly large suite. The suite itself, while large, looked like it had last seen a furniture refresh in about 1992, and didn't have much in the way of lighting:

Suite Living Room

Random Spot to Place a Microwave

Suite Bedroom

Suite Bathroom

Bath/Shower Combo
Good quality photos. Thanks for posting. Yes, this hotel could use a makeover but the great staff makes up for the difference.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Just finished my fourth stay here this year. Very courteous staff. Rooms are a bit dated but spacious bathrooms, good gym, excellent business center and executive lounge. This was the first time I didn't get an upgrade, however the rate I book is usually about US$140 so hard to argue.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Just finished my fourth stay here this year. Very courteous staff. Rooms are a bit dated but spacious bathrooms, good gym, excellent business center and executive lounge. This was the first time I didn't get an upgrade, however the rate I book is usually about US$140 so hard to argue.
+1. I am currently at this property for a 2 night stay. Have stayed here off and on for 20 years or so. OK, it is not the most modern/newest property in Mexico City, but for what it is, they do a great job. Also excellent location.

I arrived last night and was upgraded to the Towers/Executive section. Butler arrived with OJ/Champagne/bottle of water within 15 minutes of my arrival. Also, got two shirts and one pair of trousers pressed last night as a complimentary service. Breakfast in the lounge was very nice as others have already noted.

You can find much more luxurious properties in Mexico City, but with a much higher price attached. For $150-170/night, you cant do much better than the Sheraton Maria Isabel.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 4:06 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Staying here right now. Had booked a business deluxe room and received room on 12th floor which is underwhelming. Very dated decor. Do not think this was an upgrade (in fact am wondering if its not a downgrade...). All sorts of suites available on spg.com but oh well...I am just too tired of having to negotiate for this.

Staff is very curteous though, and butler swiftly arrived with sparkling wine (this is definitely not Champagne) and orange juice. Towers Club is OK with decent snacks in the evening and one free alcoholic drink. It is a bit oddly lighted though, very bright, which does not make it comfortable.

Overall not a bad experience but would probably choose a hotel that is in better shape next time in MEX.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Two night stay

1) Not new, but clean and decent rooms.

2) Good concierge who was extremely helpful.

3) Central location. Near Polanco, on a central blvd.

4) Breakfast at the Manhattan Deli was excellent. Lunch was okay.

5) As a gold, I got some sort of preferred room, which was spacious. I compare this to staying at the Sheraton Lima, where I got upgraded to a suite and given free breakfast.

6) Cost was 110 / 138 with Tax. No complaints.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
stayed here last week- As a Platinum guest, I received:

-500 Starpoints
-upgrade to a junior suite (non-towers, booked std room)
-4pm late checkout granted
-free wifi for Platinums (taken off at checkout)
-butler service
-welcome drink (mimosa)
-lounge access (evening light bites & breakfast)

I have written a detailed review of my experience at the Sheraton Maria Isabel Hotel and Towers with pictures on my blog:

http://pointssummary.com/2013/01/30/...-towers-review

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.