FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Maria Isabel, Mexico City [Master Thread]
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:26 am
sapguy

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Just spent 4 nights at the Sheraton Maria Isabel and was very pleased with the stay.

Checked in using the special reception room for Platinum & Gold members as well as their VIPs, and the check-in people were very nice and friendly.

Was informed that I was upgraded to a suite without asking ^ - in fact, my key was in a blue SPG cardboard jacket with the word "Upgraded" embossed on it - very nice! They asked if I wanted points for my amenities or a bottle of wine, and I went for the wine, which was an excellent domestic Domecq Cabernet Sauvignon.

The refurbished suite was very large, with a living room area, a wet bar and a large marble top work desk, but no wall separation between the living area and the beds area (the 2 double beds are in plain sight) - instead the separation was achieved with the 40" flat screen TV and the TV stand which doubles as the clothes chest. Furnitures look fairly new and the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed was good as expected. High speed Internet (wired and wireless) was a reasonable 170 pesos per day.

Bathroom was small but nice and well lit, and stocked with the standard Bliss Sheraton toiletries. They provided 3 to 4 small bottles of Bonnafont water compliments of Starwood Preferred Guest.

The housekeeping service was excellent throughout the stay, as the crisp sheets were meticulously folded back in a turndown manner, TV remote put on my bed with the evening treat, and so on. It's the little things that make a difference sometime in a stay.

The very large Executive Lounge is on the 18th floor with a sweeping view of the city below, serving an excellent breakfast with smoked salmon, cold cut, fresh fruits, eggs, sausage, bacon, and assorted juices. The excellent coffee is poured at your table by the attendants. The Lounge is open for breakfast from 6:30AM until 11:30AM, much later than most lounges that I've been to.

In the evening, they serve hot and cold canapes along with 1 (or 2) complimentary beer, wine or cocktail. The food is passable, but relaxing in that Lounge is a nice ending to a hard day at work ^ If you like beer, be sure to ask for a "michilada" where they combine a beer of your choice (such as Corona, Sol, Modelo Negro) with lemon juice and salt the rim around the glass - fantastico! ^

The lobby bar is not bad (nice Don Julio Reposado margaritas) and boast a serviceable sushi bar (it's so so sushi, not as good as the Mikado Japanese restaurant 2 or 3 blocks away on Reforma). But one evening after I got back from work late (9:30PM) I called Room Service and asked if I can order from the sushi bar and have it delivered to my room, and they gladly accommodated me -a nice touch.

Will stay here again due to this positive experience and the hotel is very close to my office. Mexico City can be such a dangerous place these days (there was a drug related murder at a Starbucks not too far away) with paramilitary policemen in bullet proof vests and machine guns everywhere. Security at the Maria Isabel appears to be good and you must insert your card key into the elevator to reach any floor, which adds to the peace of mind.

Last edited by sapguy; Dec 5, 2009 at 7:40 am