Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Maria Isabel, Mexico City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Maria Isabel, Mexico City [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
I stayed here for the USA-MEX World Cup qualifier a few weeks ago and was happy. Nice room to a club room with welcome amenity of local beers and chips, salsa and guac waiting. Only complaint was could not find ice machine and asked for a bucket to be brought up which was never delivered. Would stay again though
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by pb9997
fj58,

This property does a great job pre-assigning rooms to customers based on their previous experiences.

Improve your odds by planning in advance and letting them be part of the decision.
Email sent!

Originally Posted by kxc262
Stayed here in mid-May for a week.

Hope that helps!
It did, indeed.

Originally Posted by uscjeff
I stayed here for the USA-MEX World Cup qualifier a few weeks ago and was happy.

Would stay again though
Good recommend.

Thank you all.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:23 pm

fj58,

Last, but not least, due to your being a Plat member and first stay in CDMX, I would personally suggest you write and let Sheraton Maria Isabel aware of your preferences, in advance, regarding views, suites, etc

They do a magnificent job of preparing rooms way in advance for their elite customers, as they tend to be rather busy, thus expecting last minute changes during check-in, eventually at late hours, might mean that all the best rooms may have already been occupied or preassigned, even among Gold elite customers.

Improve your odds by planning in advance and letting them be part of the decision.
Better advice could not have been given. Thank you.

Booked 5 nights on points (larger Business Deluxe) and was upgraded to Business Corner Suit (700sf) with Angel view. Decided to stay an extra night, asked if I could book the Classic (cheapest) and still remain in the same room. They checked if it was allocated for the next day, it wasn't, I did.

Although it has a few quirks (highest water pressure I have ever experienced; bedroom not completely closed to the vanity/bathroom) it was a highly satisfying stay. Lounge breakfast was good-to-very-good (though no mimosa, even after offering a $200 MXN tip), evening Lounge drinks limited but adequate, staff pleasant, bar fine, dining Okay, very good location for Ubering.

We will stay again at the Sheraton Maria Isabel on our next CDMX visit.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by fj58
Better advice could not have been given. Thank you.

(...)

We will stay again at the Sheraton Maria Isabel on our next CDMX visit.
Truly glad you were able to make the best of your first visit to this property and CDMX. This property reminds me of the good old times when hoteliers took notes of guests preferences to better welcome them on their eventual next stay.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Truly glad you were able to make the best of your first visit to this property and CDMX. This property reminds me of the good old times when hoteliers took notes of guests preferences to better welcome them on their eventual next stay.
I've stayed at this property now 79 nights in the past year (and well over 50 since January 1). If you're a regular and get to know the staff, they are what makes this place. EVERYONE - from the bell staff who always stop and say hi (and we've created our own handshakes now), to the club lounge staff who is already grabbing me a cold beer and a fresh cup of salsa from the back as soon as I walk into the club lounge, to the bartenders who stock up on my favorite IPA and have it out before I even reach the bar...it's perfect. I see it too with the other regulars in the hotel as well.

Always have a couple of fresh craft beers in my room every time I check in as well.

Hotel overall could use a slight facelift, but for location (can walk to Condesa and Roma Norte in 20 minutes) can't beat it, especially if you have business on Reforma. I'll still stop in on Sundays now that I live here and grab a couple of La Lupalosas at the bar.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
I'm just wondering if this is a policy change under Marriott, or if this has always been the case at this property. I've never experienced this at any other property before.

My default in my account is set to book for 1 person -- as usually I'm traveling alone on business. I booked a long weekend at the Maria Isabel this weekend, and forgot to change it to 2 adults on the reservation. When checking in they insisted that I pay an extra USD 10 per night since my wife was with me. I told them I've never been charged before for a second person -- if this were a B&B rate I could understand but not a regular room (which they did upgrade for me). I was told that it's because of the lounge access.

After a bit of back and forth upon checkout they relented and took the extra charges of my bill, but I've never encountered this before at any other property.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I just left the hotel about an hour ago. First stay with my "new" SPG number. No issues with that, a lovely Jr. Suite (with hyperactive AC which is fine with me), the usual chips and 2 beers in the room upon arrival, and nice club lounge staff. Room included breakfast, so I tried the dining room full buffay one day, which was decent.

And best, the shower pressure could blow you to the ground, which is delicious.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I just left the hotel about an hour ago. First stay with my "new" SPG number. No issues with that, a lovely Jr. Suite (with hyperactive AC which is fine with me), the usual chips and 2 beers in the room upon arrival, and nice club lounge staff. Room included breakfast, so I tried the dining room full buffay one day, which was decent.

And best, the shower pressure could blow you to the ground, which is delicious.
Second stay with my "new" SPG number a couple of weeks ago. Everything was lovely. Jr. Suite, nice lounge staff, etc. And then my points didn't post. And then I inquired. And I just received an email from the hotel telling me that I had an AAA rate so I "don't win points." Now the fun begins.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 3:19 pm

Second stay with my "new" SPG number a couple of weeks ago. Everything was lovely. Jr. Suite, nice lounge staff, etc. And then my points didn't post. And then I inquired. And I just received an email from the hotel telling me that I had an AAA rate so I "don't win points." Now the fun begins.
What was the result of the AAA situation? I am considering this property in October for 3 nights on the AAA rate.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:24 pm

Bump...

What was the outcome of the AAA situation...looking at a December stay now. Thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
So what is the lounge like currently?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
So what is the lounge like currently?
I was there 3 days ago. I'll provide a full report next week. Good, attentive service. Food choices were different each day for breakfast and the evening. For example, the potatoes were different each morning. Cook to order eggs. Complementary Corona and wine for a limited time each evening. I do not have any wine details. i did not visit during the work day, so I don't know what may have been offered. You need to sign a 0 balance check...i suspect it is more related to tips, which i did leave due to the good service. Good view of the Angel.

Right up until the last afternoon...
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:08 am

29/11-3/12, paid, Platinum, booked Danubio Tower, king, AAA rate.

Applied SNAs. Granted Corner Suite, Angel view, king, Reforma Tower. At check-in, I was given what turned out to be a Junior Suite, City view, king, Reforma Tower on a non-Club floor). I mentioned something about the Angel and she quickly told me that the room had a partial Angel view. It had no view of the Angel. In hindsight, I should have made an issue of it, but my days were filled with activities, so my time in the room was for sleeping.

Check-in was efficient, benefits described to me proactively, the local amenity (passport holder) in lieu of points offered. She suggested that I take the points.

Keycard security on the elevators.

Lounge - as I described in my previous post. I had a confirmed late checkout. I asked the lounge manager (turns out she was THE lounge manager) the morning of to verify as I was headed out for the day. She gladly checked and ensured my keycard was programmed properly. Keycard did not work on elevator, but since I was on an elevator going to the 18th floor (lounge location) with another guest, I rode up with it figuring the lounge staff would fix the keycard. As I entered the lounge, behind the guest with access, a lounge staff member blocked me from entering. I simply, nicely, explained that my keycard was not working. He 'said you need to go to the lobby to have it fixed'. 'Sir, I have lounge access and the lounge manager checked my key this morning, why can you not do the same?' 'Management's rules.' So I went back downstairs and the keycard was fixed. Then back to the lounge for a water, where the previous staff member was not present, but the lounge manager was at her desk. I explained the situation and she seemed concerned, but who knows if she did anything about it.

Late checkout - housekeeper and likely a manager were knocking on my door at 3:40 (4 PM checkout) asking why I had not left yet. I told them I was leaving at 4. Looking through the peephole, I could tell that the manager was not pleased with that answer.

Checkout itself OK. I do not understand that when there is an Elite desk position available (with a staff person), and I walk up to it, I am often redirected to a regular desk position. Not a big deal, but why have the Elite desk position and not allow Elite's to use it? Staff person was a bit frustrated when I asked to review a printed copy of my bill prior to signing.

I did look at tours that the concierge had available. But tours could not be charged to the room, all had a premium to pay with a credit card, and all included extra 'stops' at various 'local' vendors along the way.

The issues above excepted, it was a good property and I'd return. Unrelated to the property, Paseo de la Reforma, is closed on Sundays to motorized vehicles. Traffic on the side streets is horrible, so allow plenty of time if you are leaving the neighborhood on a Sunday. (I have written to the lounge manager regarding the lounge issue and the SNA application. I'll provide feedback if I receive a response.)

I'd also highly recommend Uber vs. the hotel taxi. I did use the hotel taxi to go to Centro Historico on Saturday morning. Flat rate of 245 MNX. Using Uber on the return, as well as Sunday's two trips, was 1/3-1/2 that cost.

Last edited by lamphs; Dec 8, 2019 at 11:09 am
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by lamphs
a lounge staff member blocked me from entering. I simply, nicely, explained that my keycard was not working. He 'said you need to go to the lobby to have it fixed'. 'Sir, I have lounge access and the lounge manager checked my key this morning, why can you not do the same?' 'Management's rules.' So I went back downstairs
A little mordida to the dragon would have saved a trip downstairs.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
A little mordida to the dragon would have saved a trip downstairs.
That's funny! Mordida is better suited for the beginning of a stay to make sure i am taken care of, but not at the end of the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.