Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Maria Isabel, Mexico City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Maria Isabel, Mexico City [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2007, 7:12 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
ok if that is what your budget dictates. well run,big city hotel within walking distance to the zona rosa which is no longer what it once was and is not very interesting. the w is in polanco adjacent to the nikko, presidente intercon, and the marriot. this is a much better neighborhood if you work during the day and just want dinner and a few drinks at night. look at the cash and points option.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by gabo02
Any recent stays in Sheraton Maria Isabel Mexico city.... or feed back. thank you in advance.
I've been there several times in the past six months. I like it especially for the location. Plat upgrades are modest to non-existent. The lounge is of minimal value in the afternoons and evenings, but breakfast is okay. Staff is hospitible and competent. The fitness center is good, but open only limited hours, particularly on weekends.

The whole place is a little run down/dingy, but not enough to bother me.

Specific questions?
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:12 am

I stayed there as a platinum and felt the treatment was very good. I was upgraded to a suite on the 12th floor (not one of the renovated floors) that, although some of the furniture was dated, was still fairly nice. This was without asking at checkin and for a five night stay. The breakfast food in the lounge was substantial (juices, fruit, smoked salmon, eggs, and a variety of breads). The evening lounge had a good variety of snacks (cakes, chocolates, chips + guacamole, cheeses) that was enough for a light dinner. No problems with being charged for anything in lounge except alcohol wasn't free. For reference I booked the lowest pre-paid rate on the starwood website of about $100 a night.

The sheraton centro historico is a better location for tourism than this hotel, however. It is possible to walk to the cathedral but it is a long walk and you pass the centro historico sheraton on the way. It is also possible to walk from the hotel to the anthropology museum (which would be a very long walk from the centro historico) but still isn't an easy walk. If I went again I'd likely stay at the centro historico. This was my first time to Mexico City and had a good time. I'd second the recommendation for the ballet folklorico.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:24 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Greg:

thanks for your recent review. Your review marks a distinct change for the Sheraton Maria Isabel if you were granted Towers Lounge access as a Plat member without having to ask aggressively or push for it. I'm glad you were granted Towers Lounge access. I agree that it is a great lounge and well stocked/staffed.

I would point out that I think one could make an argument either way as to which of the two MEX, DF Sheratons are in the best tourist location. While the Centro Historico is much closer to the Zocalo and the Bellas Artes, the Maria Isabel is in the heart of the old Zona Rosa and a stone's throw from both Polanco and the wonderul Chapultepec Park, Zoo, Castle, etc. I say it's a draw between the two -- with my preference for the old Maria Isabel.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:44 pm

Yes, I was somewhat surprised to get the nice treatment as a platinum at the hotel based on what I had read here. I did email the hotel a few weeks prior to my visit saying that I had heard platinum members are often denied access to the lounge and I wanted to make sure I had no hassles. The reply said I should have no problems (and I didn't) but if there were to contact the following at guest relations: Julieta Becerril at ext 2222 or Adela Mizrahi at ext 3934. So future platinum members who get denied access may want to contact those individuals.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 7:44 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
any recent stays at this property
Old Sep 22, 2008, 9:52 pm

Programs: Starwood Preferred Guest, OnePass
September 4-5 Stay

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Maria Isabel (September 4th and 5th of 2008).

The Sheraton Centro Historico is definitely top notch with newer facilities, an excellent staff and a good location. I prefer the location of the Maria Isabel on the Paseo de la Reforma right at the Angel of Independence monument, but if one is doing a lot of sightseeing in the historic center, the Centro Historico location is conserably closer.

I have been at gold status this past year, and the perks seem fairly decent. Apart from my first stay at the Maria Isabel in 2006, which was comped for a cancelled flight, I have always been placed in the towers, facing the Paseo de la Reforma with a view of the independence monument. I find this view to be spectacular. I don't recall ever being in a room higher than the 9th floor; I suspect that might be their token nod to the Plats. For SPG members, they provide two little bottles of water on the house; for gold members it seems like they give a couple of vouchers for welcome cocktails in the bar (good for "national drinks" - beer or margaritas made with well booze).

A relatively new addition that I like is the sushi bar in the lobby bar. I am a vegetarian, and cannot say if any of the fish selections are decent, but the vegetarian selections are very good and a nice change from the standard peanut mix and bar menu. The bar prices are expensive - $13 for a Jack Daniels, if I remember correctly - but they do have some musical entertainment most early evenings, either a trio playing Mexican standards, or a pianist playing a variety of classics from the 30s through the 70s.

Although they've been there for at least a year, somewhat recent is the Starbucks in a little retail area attached to the hotel. There is also a tobacconists in the same area where they sell all kinds of things.

During this stay, the condition of the room was probably the worst I've had there. The wood paneling on the bathroom door was heavily chipped, and the closet door was difficult to open at times. The hot water seemed to fluctuate (although just enough to notice, not enough to scald or chill), which I have noticed at other times at the hotel. The air conditioning was a little weak; for two people it might have been just perfect, but with three people in the room, it was a little too warm at times. The linens were in fine condition and I didn't notice any particularly bad wear on the carpet.

Like 365RoadWarrior says, it's a bit run down overall, but not enough to bother me.

I would generally say that it depends on what you pay as to whether or not it is a good deal. The weekend rate can be as low as around USD $115, but it looks like they have recently bumped up the weekday price to USD $200 (Internet-only rates) during the week, which I would say is overpriced. It seems there has been a city-wide hike at the Starwood properties: the weekday rate at the Centro Historico (Internet-only USD $240) and the W (Best Available USD $394) also seem too high for what they are.

The following stuff has been there as long as I've been going there, but for those unfamiliar with the place...

They have an interesting mariachi bar on-site, which is quite different from your usual fare, although the cover is about USD $15 and that does not include anything but the show. The quality of the bands that play there seems to be quite high.

They have a very nice Italian restaurant called Ristorante Amici that is relatively upscale on the second floor.

I do not recommend the Manhattan Deli. Their breakfast buffet is mediocre at best, and their supposed deli items are awful. I ordered a reuben and it came with plain cooked cabbage instead of sauerkraut, mozarella cheese instead of swiss and a microscopic amount of dressing (was it thousand island? Russian? mayonnaise? there wasn't enough to tell) - all that and a side of cold french fries for only USD $13!

I will go platinum at the end of the year (maybe at the Maria Isabel if they drop that USD $200 weekday rate), and I can report on how they do with the associated perks after that. From the stories I read on FT, I am not expecting much. Maybe for a somewhat regular customer, they're better about it.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:10 am

Thanks for the useful review, crispy. I'd agree with everything (to the extent I have any knowledge - I'm a vegetarian and a teetotaler.) That location is just ideal for me.
Old May 23, 2009, 9:36 pm

Any recent stays in Sheraton Maria Isabel Mexico city.... or feed back. thank you in advance. will be there in a couple weeks. how is the situation since the "flu" outbreak. since i heard hotels are running at a less then 10% occupancy
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:21 am

So i checked in monday and checked out tuesday. Came over to Sheraton Centro historico. Here is the problem i didnt tell anyone where i would be staying. But yet this company called looking for me at the sheraton isabel and the hotel told them no he is not here he is at the other sheraton. but if you would like to reach here he will be checking in thursday and leaving saturday. The hotel had no right to tell them any of my information. What should i do. so i bring it to to Gm attention or just leave it. By the way i dont want anything but just that my privacy be kept to a low...
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:23 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by gabo02
So i checked in monday and checked out tuesday. Came over to Sheraton Centro historico. Here is the problem i didnt tell anyone where i would be staying. But yet this company called looking for me at the sheraton isabel and the hotel told them no he is not here he is at the other sheraton. but if you would like to reach here he will be checking in thursday and leaving saturday. The hotel had no right to tell them any of my information. What should i do. so i bring it to to Gm attention or just leave it. By the way i dont want anything but just that my privacy be kept to a low...
I would definitely report that to Corporate Customer Service. 800-328-6242 or [email protected].

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jun 29, 2009, 5:30 pm

Just finished a weekend in Mex DF. Spent the first two nights at the W then moved to the Sheraton Maria Isabel as some friends were staying at another hotel in the area.

Overall, agree with everything that has been said about the hotel being tired. But the bed was comfy and water pressure was good, so my needs were met in terms of the room itself.

Upon arrival, was informed that as a platinum member, i was put in a room on the platinum floor, which as previously mentioned here just seems to be a regular floor with a sign that said "platinum floor" in the hallwah. I was not upgraded to anything beyond a normal room, although needing two beds, figured that any meaningful upgrade was unlikely anyway so didn't pursue. I did get a great view of the Angel monument, one of the signature monuments in the city.

Upon arrival, I was also informed that as a platinum member, I was entitled to all the Tower section priviledges, which included the butler service (welcome drink of champagne and fruit, pressing, coffee with the wake up call, and other things that I forget) as well as access to the towers lounge. So far as I could tell, as a platinum member the only thing lacking for the tower section was the room itself.

The butler came by with the welcome drink promptly and introduced himself, explained his services, etc. Then we never heard from him again. Perhaps I didn't tip enough...

The lounge breakfast was from 6:30 to 11:00 and was quite tasty and very filling with some pastries, bacon and eggs, hash browns, a mexican chile verde breakfast dish and some fruit.

Afternoon cocktails are now in the lobby bar, which I believe is also from 6-11. Didn't take advantage of this but did pass by on the way out the door one night and the canapes looked tasty. One glass of wine or a beer was complimentary.

Overall, the neighborhood didn't do it for me. I found the Zona Rosa to be much too touristy. And the walk to La Condesa was long enough that next time I would take a taxi. Given that I'd have to get in a taxi to get to La Condesa anyway, I much preferred the W location as Polanco was just as fun as La Condesa (although a different vibe). Of course, the W is more expensive though.

Overall, a good experience and quite the deal with cash and points.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 7:10 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Stayed at both the Historico and the Maria Isabella last week. Yes, the Historico is sharper, cleaner, smoother operation, but the MI is very classy and well cared for. Marco, the front desk manager at the MI, seemed to take a special interest in me and made sure I had a Platinum room on the 12th floor and all the extras even though I'm just a basic level SPG. When I told him I hadn't stayed there in 45 years, he was absolutely incredulous. He introduced me to all the key people and made sure I got everything I wanted. I haven't been treated so well at any hotel in many years. Tip to first timers:
Ask to be checked in by MARCO - he is such a gentleman.

Last edited by maltasr; Jul 4, 2009 at 7:14 am Reason: Added info.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Any recent update on the Maria Isabel?

I will be staying at the Sheraton Maria Isabel in November and December and would like to see if anyone had stayed there recently and what are their impression? The last post was July 2009.

I much prefer the Centro Historico (stayed at both properties before) but the Maria Isabel is on my company's preferred list whereas the CH is not. Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:28 pm

Nov.2 ~ Current

This is my third time staying at the Maria Isabel since 2006. And past two stays were a month long each I guess. My current stay would be until Nov.26 which would be 24 nights.
As a long term visitor, I have some suggestions for Sheraton MI.
Please make some new menu for Manhattan DELI! At least please change or add some menus for breakfast buffet for DELI, those are almost same everyday since 2006. I know that the menu will be little bit tedious after weeks later from my previous experience. Menu should be shifted.

Well other services from the hotel and staffs are fine and nice for me. No other complains. Yea I will stay Sheraton MI always whenever I visit Mexico city. (Hey but I haven't stayed other hotels in the city.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.