Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Maria Isabel, Mexico City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Maria Isabel, Mexico City [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2005, 2:36 pm

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
This is an awful hotel that systematically denies platinum members their expected benefits. After one stay here I switched to the Marquis Reforma down the street and couldn't have been happier. I will never stay at the MI again.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 3:00 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I"ve had only okay experiences here, but full disclosure:

- I'm a Plat SPG member

- I was last there in early January when Mexico is celebrating Epiphany, so commerce is at a standstill (similar to Xmas week in the USA)

- Front desk pulled a few strings and upgraded us to the towers level, advising that the front desk manager said this was a one time courtesy since the hotel was essentially empty.

I will acknowledge that this hotel absolutely, positively will not standardly upgrade ANYONE to the Towers Level under normal circumstances and has established a bogus Platinum SPG Floor. A far better solution would be (it seems to me) to offer Plats access to Towers rooms until such time as those rooms are gone, and then inventory as usual for everyone else.

I am angry that this hotel has, for years, seemingly skated around the upgrade to the Best Available Room benefit. On that fact, is there any doubt?? It has been well documented here (and other hotel reviews on the web) and never called into question since it is, apparently, standard practice.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Smile Sheraton Maria Isabel not that bad after all.

Well I am back and stayed at the Sheraton maria Isabel for US139 per night all taxes included for 3 in a room with 2 double beds. We were on the 11th floor and I don't know where the Tower was, unless it was in the back somewhere. The room was clean and the staff was friendly. I did not like the fee for using the gym as an SPG. But as well it is a good location. I am surprised to read all the negative reviews about this hotel. But thanks for all the feed back.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 4:00 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Sheraton Maria Isabel - Mexico City, Palm Treo

Nifty test they're running right now:

Upon check-in they asked me whether I'd like to volunteer to their most recent program "stay in touch", all complimentary:

It's a Palm Treo cell phone, local number, free incoming calls and free local calls. Access to the internet (free). You only pay for long-distance calls. This service will run for USD $5/day, but for now it's free for their best customers.

I accepted at the end of my stay to let them know my comments.

So far it's worked... well... I had to change it for a new one with a different phone number as the first one stopped its internet service upon 24 hours...

But - it's a great bonus to be at this hotel !
Old May 31, 2006, 5:25 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Santa Maria Isabel Hotel & Towers Mexico City ?s please. Appreciate.

Change in gears. A client who is building another home in Los Cabos is going with his designers to Mexico City for a shopping spree. I have always been curious about Mexico City but hesitant from a safety standpoint. I booked the Isabel since this is also where they are staying. I will be inbound and outbound on Alaska Air. The flight arrives around 4 PM and leaves at 6 AM. I want to be a tourist while they shop. We will have two nights. I am interested in ANY comments people might have. In particular transport to/from MEX, upgrades for Ps at the Hotel, any recommendation for a private tour guide and any other thing that comes to your mind. All comments appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 31, 2006, 5:32 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
This hotel is very centrally located to much of what you'd want to do in the city. If you speak Spanish, you'll enjoy what's going on around you infinitely more than if not. Personally, I love this city, but it's not for everyone. You'll need to do some aggressive research and learn which taxis are safe to take and which ones are more likely to be dangerous (hint: don't take the green beetle taxis you'll see everywhere!).

The Sheraton Maria Isabel is an institution in MEX. As a Plat guest, however, you will not NOT be upgraded to their Towers Rooms nor will you have access to their Towers Lounge.

I like your idea of hiring a personal guide for some of your time there. I think that could work well for you. One thing you simply must do is make it to the Pyramids at Teotihuacan. Google it and you'll understand -- a definite DON'T MISS if you're in nearby MEX.
Old May 31, 2006, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Safety standpoint? Well, it's next to the US Embassy so may be 'secure' . See the lines waiting to apply for visas! (Don't mock. We have to line up outside the US Embassy in London, too .)

Very close to the Zona Rosa, known as a colorful area - restaurants, night clubs and the like. Be streetwise, like in most capital cities.

When I was last there, the refurbishing still had a long way to go. As a mere gold, I had an unrefurbished room until I requested an SPG upgrade - to an identical room on a higher floor which had been refurbished.

There are nicer hotels, but if you like Sheratons, it's OK.
Old May 31, 2006, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Is there a reason why definitely- NOT on upgrade? Should I see about booking a Towers room?
RTW - do a search here on FT about this hotel and you'll see why. This hotel considers the TOWERS rooms and TOWERS lounge to be a "separate hotel within a hotel." It is, by any measure, a serious reach, but nonetheless, they make the rules and so it is. It is the rarest of days when this rule is broken, perhaps only when the rest of the hotel is solidly booked.

This hotel, for some time now, has maintained one entire floor, which they designate as the PLATINUM SPG floor -- which, according to others, is essentially the very same type of room in the rest of the hotel save that it's on a higher floor. You will not be granted access to the lounge, nor will there be a complimentary breakfast offered.

Finding a really good guide book to Mexico City in the states is bafflingly difficult. I secured one years ago from a publishing house in the UK that was magnificent. I strongly advise your taking the time to study up on this amazing and troubled city before leaving. Keep in mind it's one of the planet's largest cities and can be rough around the edges. Be smart and careful and you'll fall in love with it.
Old May 31, 2006, 4:41 pm

I have never had a problem in MEX.

From the airport take the official taxi.

Once you are at your hotel, book the drivers/taxis through the hotel. It is not expensive (15-20 per hour) for sight seeing.

Take taxi from hotel to go out to eat or the like, then when you want to leave the establishment, have them call a radio cab.

It is a big city, take adequate precautions.

If you want the tower, you must book the tower.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 2:50 am

I just came back from a trip to MEX, and I would like to echo Coplatsat's recommendations as the safest options for transportation. His advice is basically the same as what I gathered from multiple sources prior to my trip. Expect to pay roughly 2X for hotel-owned taxis, although you will certainly get better cars and safer drivers (at least based my own experience).

Given my student's budget, I did not opt for a personal driver/tour guide. In general, finding transportation in MEX is easy enough that I don't think it's necessary.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 6:17 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Thank you. I hate these hotels that make their own rules. That being said I have no intention of changing the world this morning. After reading the post I looked online and also booked a room on the Towers level for safety purposes. I will e-mail the Hotel to see about a guide and driver. Any comments on transport?
The closest subway stop to the Isabela is Insurgentes--probabably a 10 minute walk so not terribly convenient. That being said, the subway is a great way to get a feel for Mexico DF (goes everywhere, crowded, a bit exhausting, very inexpensive). I'm on my way there this morning and am looking forward to it (staying at the W as I don't like the Isabela at all). It's a terrific city; taking in a show at the Bellas Artes and seeing the Museo de Antropologia ^ ^ ^ would be my two "must sees." Have a great time!
Old Jun 1, 2006, 7:29 am

I stay here frequently. IME, what they effectively do is upgrade Plats one room type. If I book a lowball prepaid rate in the back building, I'll usually get a regular room in the Reforma building (I think they have a lame "Piso Platinum" or something IIRC). If I book a Reforma building room (generally not prepaid), I'll usually get a Tower's room. If I book a Tower's room, I frequently get a suite. Those aren't the rules, but 90% of the time, that has been my experience at this hotel. Prepaid rates seem to reduce your upgrade chances FWIW.

Few other notes: If you're a Plat, go directly to the Tower's check-in area (immediately to your right before the main check-in area when you enter) no matter what. If you go to the main counter, they'll just ring the "bell" to have a bell-hop take you the 50 feet to the Tower's check-in and rake you for another tip.

Also note that many of the lower floor rooms are not wired for internet, and the wi-fi signal is extremely crappy. If this is important to you, insist on a wired room at check-in.

I have walked all around this hotel at all hours of the night. There are tons and tons of police along Reforma at all hours of the night. Being next to the US Embassy doesn't hurt either. The Zona Rosa area is somewhat seedy, but not particularly unsafe IME. I'm actually at the W right now, which of course is in a fantastic area for walking, restaurants, cafe's, etc.

Have a great trip, enjoy and don't let paranoia ruin your trip!
Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds

Have a great trip, enjoy and don't let paranoia ruin your trip!

Great advice! However, I maintain that safety and comfort in MEX largely depends on the person visiting!!! If one speaks Spanish and conveys a sense of confidence, it's likely that you'll be fine. However, if one speaks limited or no Spanish and looks like a tourist, I cannot imagine recommending the subway in MEX, particularly in the crunch hours. The locals have enough problems as it is, nevermind an American tourist with a digital camera around his/her neck studying the subway map.

I'm not trying to create a sense of fear, here. However, MEX is not your typical weekend getaway resort town, either. The OP was asking for basic info on being here, and I consider it to be of upmost importance to be fully aware that this city has some history of elevated crimes against persons who appear to be "from away." Not unlike other mega cities, to be sure. Regardless, I will reiterate my suggestion to carefully research this visit before going -- understand what a sitio taxi is vs a street cab. Know that even though guide books will tell you the best place to hear Mariachi groups is Garibaldi Plaza, most locals will even tell you that it's become terribly unsafe and simply unfit for anyone not willing to tolerate some "trouble" while there. That's the sort of thing I'm warning about.

Just do your homework and have a great time.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by rhetor
It's a terrific city; taking in a show at the Bellas Artes and seeing the Museo de Antropologia ^ ^ ^ would be my two "must sees." Have a great time!
Both excellent recommendations! The Palacio de Bellas Artes is a stunning building and the stage has a curtain made entirely of Tiffany Glass! The largest Tiffany piece on the planet. Really amazing. You won't go wrong seeing the Ballet Folklorico here --- your hotel concierge can arrange with no troubles and there's no need (I promise!) to reserve much more than a few days before the show.

The Museo de Antropologia is widely considered one of the world's foremost Anthropolgy museums and reminds me of the Smithsonian in DC. You could spend years in this place! And, if you're here anyway, you should know that there is a Zoo (free, IIRC) across the street in the Park that's a fun way to spend an hour or so.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by sbtinme
This hotel, for some time now, has maintained one entire floor, which they designate as the PLATINUM SPG floor -- which, according to others, is essentially the very same type of room in the rest of the hotel save that it's on a higher floor. You will not be granted access to the lounge, nor will there be a complimentary breakfast offered.
Odd -- I have nver had a problem getting lounge access here as a Plat, though I probably only go up there 1 out of every 3 or 4 stays or so, but I've never been turned away. But agreed, the "Piso Platinum" is incredibly worthless. I do however get Towers upgrades sometimes at this property, generally as described in my prior post.

For safety, I agree with your recommendations. But this property isn't the Durban Hilton, where they leave a map in your room of the only exact street route you can walk safely on outside the hotel! Normal big city precautions plus a little bit more are in order. And as you say, don't take the subway looking like an obvious tourist. It's not 'tourist friendly' at all, and can definitely be unsafe if you don't look the part.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.