Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:52 pm

Hello,I need some advice on which airline star alliance to join.I also want to know if I can link a Korean credit card to maby United's ffp,since I hear they are the best deal.I know that Asiana and other Korean Airline programs have credit cards that link to the airlines to get those extra points.

1)My home airport is Either Incheon(ICN) or Busan(PUS),for a few more years(I have been living in KOrea for a few years).

I am a resident of South Africa.

2)I always buy the cheapest fairs available which could range from cheapest
to the regular economy.Usually I miss the super specials tho.

3)I think I fly about 5 000 miles per year(actual miles that the plane flies).I travel about 1 time per year,mostly in Asia thus far.,but things could change.

4)None,I have a China eastern skypass card which I have accumulated points but I have no idea how many they are or if they have expired.I fly with them the most in Asia due to their cheap prices.

5)Most important thing for me would be to get free tickets.

6)I mostly travel in south east Asia.

7)China Eastern because of cheap prices.

8)I only travel for pleasure.I can choose my airline,so if one airline offers better miles I may choose that one.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:56 pm

(1) What is your home airport? SFO
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? C, F, Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? ~80k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Lufthansa M&M Senator
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? good award redemption rate
(6) Which routes do you fly most often Transcontinental 4+/year, transatlantic business 3+/year and a few US domestic
(7) Preferred Airlines LH, Swiss
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both, I have relative flexibility in choosing airlines for work related flights

Hi All,
Happy 4th July!
I'm reaching my Senator status with my next flight and was wondering if it would make sense to switch to another program. As I am based in SFO and travel quite a lot to Europe and to the E Coast, I probably stay withing Star Alliance.
I have a family and we need to visit our family in Europe or redeem award tickets for them to visit us. That's why, for me the most important would be award ticket redemptions (eventually in prem. economy).
Thanks for any advices.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:26 am

Programs: A3 Gold, HH Diamond
(1) What is your home airport?
HKG
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Couple of J, rest is Y or discounted Y
Around 50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
LH FTL (won't make it to SEN unfortunately barring a crazy mileage run, thinking of switching)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Lounges, priority services (+award tickets/upgrades)
To Europe for business, SE Asia regional and US for leisure
(7) Preferred Airlines
N/A
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
1-2 J return to Europe / year, rest is mostly Y. Some flexibility in choosing airline/alliance for work travel.

Many thanks in advance!
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Need your help please ...

Need help please. Flying this itinerary with UA and NH in 6 weeks. The classes are all K class. First flight is a UA flight, second and third is ANA but UA flight #, third is ANA and has ANA flight #.

(1) What is your home airport? PBI/FLL/MIA
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? <25K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? Fly a lot less now so none
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good award redemption rates
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? US Domestic & a trip to SE Asia every two years
(7) Preferred Airlines? No preference
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure

Thank you in advance for the advise and assistance ^

Ps: I did look on here: http://www.wheretocredit.com/united-airlines/k and http://www.wheretocredit.com/all-nippon-airways/k and seems like not a good choice with either NH or UA FFP. So basically, looking to see which other FFP is the best option from the list.

Thank you!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As living in UK join BA ffp http://www.britishairways.com/travel/home/public/en_au
Is the flight on Emirates an EK or QF flight number? Is this Aust to NZ?
Hi Mwenenzi, it's been a mighty long time since you replied - so first thanks very much for that.

So, we're flying from the UK and have booked with Quantas for this trip i.e. QF flight numbers. We go MAN - DBX - SYD - AKL and return the same route
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:01 pm

Hi Markie and friends. Thank you for helping me out.

(1) Home airport: SFO and FRA
(2) Types of fares? Mixed but most often H and L
(3) How many miles each year? 40k - 50k (Assuming actual flight miles, not award milage)
(4) Status at present? UA Premier Silver
(5) Most important? Free flights and seat upgrades
(6) Routes most often Transatlantic, US Domestic
(7) Preferred Airlines: No strong preference

More background: So far I have always collected M&M but received UA Premier Silver as a perk from my company. Now I am wondering if I should switch to UA or even a totally different *A scheme.

I also just applied for the Chase Sapphire CC.

Thank you for your help

Last edited by Nicolazinho; Jul 25, 2015 at 10:59 pm
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: Lufthansa, Aeroflot
(1) Home airport: LHR
(2) Types of fares? Cheapest
(3) How many miles each year? 25-30k
(4) Status at present? None
(5) Most important? Lounge access, redemption rates
(6) Routes: European short- and medium-haul
(7) Preferred Airlines: Lufthansa, but could easily switch to Air France/KLM or Alitalia

I cover quite a lot of segments relative to mileage, so I'm counting on that or credit card bonuses if good ones exist our side of the pond. Looks like my mileage and fares are too low.

Lufthansa will give me 2 years of silver if I fly 30 segments in 2015. So far I've flown 9, have another 6 booked, and was planning a further 12. So I'd be 3 short. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:11 am

Thank you so much for your help,
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
Boston Logan International Airport. BOS
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
Y
<25K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
A3 Gold membership. about to expire in November 2015.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
good mileage accumulation rate as well as good award redemption rates
US-China. US Domestic
(7) Preferred Airlines
UA, AC, ANA
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
Pleasure, visiting family, etc. So, yes, I get to choose.

I'm thinking to join either Asiana or UA, coz A3 changed their policy. Seems Asiana is easier to get to Gold. But the problem with Asiana is that I do NOT ever want to fly with them(personal thing). I wonder if its an easy procedure to redeem Asiana's miles to buy ticket from other *A airlines, specifically UA. If its easy, I would like choose Asiana, otherwise I have to choose UA.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by NewbieDave; Jul 27, 2015 at 9:58 am
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:06 pm

(1) What is your home airport? MSP and now SIN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Business class and Y - whatever in on Kayak for economy seats when flying close by
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? > 50K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Delta Skymiles Gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounges and miles for family vacation.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) - When I am based in US (MSP), I fly to Asia and Latin America (mostly Delta) 3-4 times a year. I just got transferred to Singapore and will be flying at least once a year to US but multiple trips from SIN to other Southeast Asia (JKT, KUL, BKK, SAI) and Northeast Asia (Narita, Seoul, Taipei). Once in awhile I will fly to Middle East.
(7) Preferred Airlines - I don't have anyone in specific but I am with Delta for more than 10 years.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?). Work mostly, pleasure will use budget airlines.

My issue is this - I was based in MSP which is a Delta hub. I just got transferred to Singapore and since Delta requires MQD now, I think changes of me getting any status that is pretty low - Delta only flies to Narita from Singapore. So, I am thinking Star Alliance seems to make sense??

I still have about 100K miles from United that I still carry (no status anymore) and I still have about 150K and Gold Status from my Delta Sky Miles.

What should I do??
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:03 am

Where to start?

(1) What is your home airport? STO / ARN / BMA
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Cheapest
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?<40K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Not really
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? In the end, my miles are going to buy more flights, so good redemption rates primarly, but priority lane access at airports are also great.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often Sweden Domestic and Sweden to Europe. Outside of Europe once a year.
(7) Preferred Airlines Good onboard service is a plus.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both, but as an entrepreneur I choose my own flights while traveling in work.

As a Swedish resident, I would like to find a good credit card for everyday use, that earns miles, which limits the available airlines I would think...
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:24 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ludvig_d
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Cheapest
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?<40K
That is close to an impossible combination - flying little and on cheapest flights. Cheapest tickets earns close to zero on most programs - especially on those programs that has low thresholds.

You might want to look into SK EBB - you can qualify *G on 45 segments and *S already after 10 segments. The Coop 'Med mera' card earns points that can be converted to EB points at a decent rate (currenty that is, it might change)
IIRC, SK does not charge YQ on redemptions which is good in your case.

If you give up on alliances and status, you could consider DY and apply for their mastercard. You will earn credits that can be applied to next ticket, ie it is a strict discount system.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:47 am

(1) What is your home airport? SEA
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? E+/PE and occasional J
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?~30k (one TATL and/or one TPAC + random domestic US
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? SPG Gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? US Domestic checked bags
(6) Which routes do you fly most often One TATL and/or one TPAC plus additional North American. Next year will be one of each and at least two TransCon
(7) Preferred Airlines I prefer BR on TPAC, Alaska for domestic, and have so far done BA on TATL. I used to do a lot of flying on OneWorld (CX and BA), but OneWorld options in Seattle are slim
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both. Work tickets are in Y but personal tickets are PE or J
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:22 am

Programs: UA Plat; Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; Hyatt Gold; Hertz Gold
Aeroplan or MileagePlus?

I have been a long time Aeroplan member, but in the past have not flown enough to get status. Recently I started flying more for work, and this year it looks like I will qualify for AC's 25K (with a remote chance of hitting 35K).

Most of my flying is on United from YVR to the US, and I recently realized that, once I do get status, AC status won't get me much on UA. Also, for an Aeroplan rewards ticket I was looking at booking, I was surprised at the out-of-pocket costs (which I know has been well discussed elsewhere). So, I'm wondering if it makes sense to stick with Aeroplan?

I don't think I should switch at this point in the year, when I'm close to getting AC status for 2016 (even if status doesn't do much for me). So, if I switch, I expect I'd wait until the new year.
  1. What is your home airport? YVR
  2. What types of fares do you usually buy ? Mostly economy.
  3. How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25K-50K (actual miles is probably closer to the upper end, since most of the flights only accumulate at 50%)
  4. Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Expecting to be AC 25K by end of this year.
  5. What is most important to you in a FFP? A balance of upgrades and reward flights.
  6. Which routes do you fly most often YVR to ORD (about a third) and assorted other US (two thirds), 1-2/year trans-Canada, 1 TATL.
  7. Preferred Airlines Historically, I've flown mostly AC and UA, and been satisfied with their offerings. I've flown TATL on both BA and LH, and been pleased. I've flown a bit on AA, DL, but not frequently or recently enough to like or dislike them. I've avoided WS in favour of AC, but that's primarily just for the AE points.
  8. Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mostly for work, about 2/year pleasure. Company policy allows me to choose a flight on the airline of my choice as long as its within $X of cheapest available on any airline. However, it often means I'm in discount economy. For personal travel, basically same thing except replace company with wife :-)

In terms of reward travel, it is more likely to be Canadian domestic, or international, than US. (And I'd hate to have to route inefficiently through the US just to be able to claim a reward ticket.)

So, should I switch to MileagePlus? switch to something else? or stick with Aeroplan?

Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:53 am

Hi everyone,

I am looking for the best ffp that fits my way to fly, so here's my informations

(1) What is your home airport? CDG
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 22 000 miles per year but it is increasing
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Royal orchid plus Silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good award redemption rate, have enough time to have enough miles to book long haul business award, lounge access.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often ? Europe-Asia (x2) + intra Europe ( x2)
(7) Preferred Airlines. Singapore,Thai, maybe TK is great too. Anyway I prefer Asian services.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure.

If you know the best ffp don't hesitate! I already looked at krysflyer and Asiana Club.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:22 am

Programs: FB Platinum
(1) What is your home airport? Based between BIA / CDG and LHR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y shorthaul, C longhaul, once in a while F if the price is reasonable.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? >50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? FB Gold and BA Bronze
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? For *A, Lounge access and award redemption
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Euro Shorthaul + EU - SFO on longhaul
(7) Preferred Airlines: Anything goes
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Bit of both, usually business when on longhaul, can choose class of service most of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.