Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:48 am

I should add that I will be flying LHR -BNE return in a couple of weeks most likely with either Malaysian (re my post in the Oneworld thread) or Singapore. Many thanks
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bugatron
.....Having had a look around, it seems like a number of FFPs will honour flights taken with the relevant airline within up to 12 months prior to joining. Does anyone happen to know whether any Star Alliance airlines will honour flights taken on other Star Alliance airlines so I can get recognition upon joining of a number of flights I've taken with Lufthansa, Swiss, Turkish in the last 12 months?
Most FFP's do not allow retro credit unless you were a member at the time of the flight. A few allow a small (~30 days?) retro claim window. US Airways allows 6 months. You will need to look at each FFP. Some information in a post here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...rn-points.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 17, 2014 at 12:34 pm
Old Aug 17, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Who has lower redemptions thresholds? What would overall better between AC or Lifemiles?

I'm saying this because once i finish my A3 adventure, it might be wiser for me to credit into something else as my main program.

I would already be *G with Aegean, so for this new program low award redemption would be priority. I have not looked up into the charts of both Lifemiles and AC that seem to be on paper the better ones.

I'm based in Venezuela and do speak spanish fluently. Both options are the same for me, i tend to favor ex-CCS routes to NA. or ex-MIA routes to worldwide. I'm just wondering what would be overall the best go with Avianca or Air Canada for low redemptions, if i'm already A3 *G.

Will have to start crediting to a new program soon, as i think after i redeem with A3 i will move into a more sensible choice of a program. Avianca still flies here but Air Canada pulled out.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:23 pm

KrisFlyer or LifeMiles

Hey there.

My SA program of choice used to be TAM Fidelidade (since I flew with them more often than not and would get bonuses when flying their metal) but since April they've left SA and I've been "making do" with non-SA partnerships to credit my miles, but I believe the time has come for me to make a choice.

I've read a whole of information here but in the end I need some guidance as to where I should go. I'm between Avianca LifeMiles and Singapore KrisFlyer since they are both AMEX MR partners, which would make redemptions a lot easier since I haven't been flying a whole lot.

At a glance it seems like KrisFlyer's award chart is better for Y redemptions, but I would like to hear more experiences with the programs so I'm not based only on the chart.

(1) What is your home airport? POA
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 30 to 50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? OW Ruby
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) Good award redemption rates in Y
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) Brazil domestic, Brazil to US
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvtm
Who has lower redemptions thresholds? What would overall better between AC or Lifemiles?.....
Low mile redemptions mean little. Its earn to burn that matters. You do not need to fly an airline to collect miles in an airline FPP, but is does help. Generally collecting miles with the airline you fly most tends to be better, but not always.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:22 am

Hi everyone. I'm very new to the idea of frequent flyer miles. I've only ever flown on economy tickets, and always the cheapest I can find, and that is not likely to change. I live a global lifestyle though (recent international relations graduate), so even though I don't consider myself a frequent flyer I am frequently making trans-continental flights. I've just realized that almost all the flights I've taken in the past couple years have been on star alliance airlines, as are all the ones I foresee taking in the next few years. Any advice on which would be best for a casual traveler like me (or if it won't be worth it at all) would be so appreciated! I do have a travel rewards credit card not linked to an individual airline that I use to accumulate miles as well.

(1) What is your home airport?
I don't have a "home airport" because I move so much, but the ones I frequently am based at or traveling to are: CMH, LLW, JNB, GVA and ZRH (my family lives in Columbus, OH/USA, I am currently working in Southern Africa, and my partner's family lives in Switzerland where I plan to settle in near future).

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
The cheapest fares I can find on Kayak or Sky scanner (economy class).

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
In the past, usually 8k-15k, but this year I am looking at up to 30k miles.

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
No

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Anything that could (a) save me money (on ticket or baggage) or (b) afford me something I wouldn't otherwise be able to experience (like going in a lounge or a little nicer of a seat)

(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
Transatlantic (US/Europe or US/Africa), Transafrican, between Europe and Africa and within Europe

(7) Preferred Airlines
I don't have any preference, but I foresee using Ethiopian and South African a lot in the near future, as well as United and Swiss in the long-term. I also occasionally fly Lufthansa or Air Canada.

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
Pleasure

Last edited by marevoyag; Aug 22, 2014 at 1:42 am
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriot Silver
Hi,
I want to ask for my wife, who doesn't travel much and has few upcoming flights:

(1) What is your home airport? NYC (LGA, JFK, EWR)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Discounted Economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Less than 25K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Nope
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Free bag checks and free lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? US Domestic (ORD or SFO) and Korea (ICN)
(7) Preferred Airlines? UA, OZ
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure

Two upcoming travel for her this year:
1. (not confirmed yet) SFO to NYC; one way in discounted economy in UA; 2,500-3,000 miles depending on route
2. (confirmed) JFK-SFO-ICN; round trip in K class in UA; 8250 miles each - 16500 total

She has no status and hasn't accumulated any miles this year (only had few award travels). Two obvious choices are A3 or OZ and I am slightly leaning toward OZ.

A3: 1,000 (signup) + 8,250 (50%) + 1,500 (50%) = 10,750 (earn *S status; 9,250 in 1 year to *G)

OZ: 16,500 + 2,500 = 19,000 (no status; 1,000 in 2 years to *S; 21,000 in 2 years to *G)

A3 will guarantee *S status but she would loose practically half the miles she has flown. She has to get 9250 in 1 year, but if she flies in discounted fare, that pretty much means she has to fly 18,500 miles.

If she credits to OZ, then she is short 1,000 to *S but this is easily manageable. And even the 21,000 in 2 years is doable (A round-trip to Korea and a round-trip to the west coast would do it).

And she sometimes uses OZ for trip to Korea so OZ sounds like an ideal choice for her.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: Topbonus, Miles&Bonus, Miles&Less
Originally Posted by jp2002
Hi,
I want to ask for my wife, who doesn't travel much and has few upcoming flights:

(1) What is your home airport? NYC (LGA, JFK, EWR)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Discounted Economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Less than 25K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Nope
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Free bag checks and free lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? US Domestic (ORD or SFO) and Korea (ICN)
(7) Preferred Airlines? UA, OZ
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure

Two upcoming travel for her this year:
1. (not confirmed yet) SFO to NYC; one way in discounted economy in UA; 2,500-3,000 miles depending on route
2. (confirmed) JFK-SFO-ICN; round trip in K class in UA; 8250 miles each - 16500 total

She has no status and hasn't accumulated any miles this year (only had few award travels). Two obvious choices are A3 or OZ and I am slightly leaning toward OZ.

A3: 1,000 (signup) + 8,250 (50%) + 1,500 (50%) = 10,750 (earn *S status; 9,250 in 1 year to *G)

OZ: 16,500 + 2,500 = 19,000 (no status; 1,000 in 2 years to *S; 21,000 in 2 years to *G)

A3 will guarantee *S status but she would loose practically half the miles she has flown. She has to get 9250 in 1 year, but if she flies in discounted fare, that pretty much means she has to fly 18,500 miles.

If she credits to OZ, then she is short 1,000 to *S but this is easily manageable. And even the 21,000 in 2 years is doable (A round-trip to Korea and a round-trip to the west coast would do it).

And she sometimes uses OZ for trip to Korea so OZ sounds like an ideal choice for her.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Still A3.
For both airlines you will need a mileage run. The only question is one year versus two years time. Pay attention to the Mileage Run deals as well as the Aegean sub-forum and you can find some cheap ways to get those remaining 9.5k miles.

The *A Gold status for life at A3 is worth so much more.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:22 pm

(1) What is your home airport? YYZ - Toronto
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Economy, Non-refundable
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Around 25K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? No.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) Good award redemption rates
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) International to US / North America
(7) Preferred Airlines Pretty open
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you choose your airlines, class of service?) Travel for work, I can choose my own airline and have to travel economy/cheapest fare

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Hello everybody

I am currently BAEC Silver.

(1) What is your home airport? EDI
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? A mixture of mainly Y and some J
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?around 80 sectors per year, mainly shorthaul so about 40,000 miles
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? BAEC Silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Fast track, lounge access, ability to choose good seats (row 1 or exit row).
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? European Shorthaul
(7) Preferred Airlines? Currently a mixture of BA and low cost carriers
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) Both and I always am able to choose and book myself

Here is my dilemma. I mainly fly to Europe with work and being based in EDI that currently means BA via LHR from October - May, and direct on LCC's during the summer. A large number of the flights are to Toulouse. Looking at the winter schedule with BA the timings are very inconvenient, whereas the timings with Brussels Airlines via BRU are very convenient and the costs are similar. However it looks like earning equivalent status would be much harder. Is there an easier way to earn status by signing up with say Aegian, but none of my flights would be on Aegian metal so unsure? Any thoughts? I should add that I also have a business trip to to Chile and Argentina coming up in January which I could use to ensure I retain BA silver for another year or to accrue with a *A carrier.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: Topbonus, Miles&Bonus, Miles&Less
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
Hello everybody

I am currently BAEC Silver.

(1) What is your home airport? EDI
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? A mixture of mainly Y and some J
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?around 80 sectors per year, mainly shorthaul so about 40,000 miles
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? BAEC Silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Fast track, lounge access, ability to choose good seats (row 1 or exit row).
(7) Preferred Airlines? Currently a mixture of BA and low cost carriers
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) Both and I always am able to choose and book myself

Here is my dilemma. I mainly fly to Europe with work and being based in EDI that currently means BA via LHR from October - May, and direct on LCC's during the summer. A large number of the flights are to Toulouse. Looking at the winter schedule with BA the timings are very inconvenient, whereas the timings with Brussels Airlines via BRU are very convenient and the costs are similar. However it looks like earning equivalent status would be much harder. Is there an easier way to earn status by signing up with say Aegian, but none of my flights would be on Aegian metal so unsure? Any thoughts? I should add that I also have a business trip to to Chile and Argentina coming up in January which I could use to ensure I retain BA silver for another year or to accrue with a *A carrier.
Just do the bare minimum to get Aegean Gold, and keep on raking up those Avios with BA. BA is undoubtedly a better programme than anything on offer at *A.

Important for your way to Aegean Gold is to book your flights sufficiently late, that you can get into the mile-earning booking classes of M, U, H, Q, V, W, S for Brussels Airlines. With clever booking, you should be getting 4x750 = 3000 miles per return flight to Tolouse. Ie. you need seven trips to Tolouse to gain A3 Gold status.

Last edited by dio1982; Sep 9, 2014 at 5:52 am Reason: ere
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Looking for a suggestion on where to credit the UA Global First (A-fare) trip I booked (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...irst-f-37.html).

Here are my details:

UA Prem Gold/*G already this year. Would love to hit Prem Plat for the flexibility on booking award tickets. With that said, availability on UA has become almost as bad as DL. And, since I avoid int'l flights on UA metal (this trip excluded obviously ), their recent devaluation on using miles for premium cabin partner airlines is a big negative for me.

I fly ~125-150k elite qualifying miles per year., no issue with the PQD requirements at all. I always get to 75k (PM) on DL, and tend to split between UA and DL for the balance. A handful of paid int'l business class tickets, the rest domestic economy. I have both Amex plat and Chase Saph Pref credit cards.

What I care about most is international premium cabin redemptions and availability., as well as a few domestic Y-cabin redemptions on UA. Looking for a program with low YQ. My thought is that if you recommend I credit to a program other than UA, that this should become my *A program of choice for 2015+. So I'd hit 50-75k elite miles/year going forward. I've gotten exactly 0 upgrades out of DEN this year as a Prem Gold, so "losing" that benefit isn't an issue.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
1) What is your home airport? DUB
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy only
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 14-20 sectors in discount Y on SAS + 4-12 sectors in discounted Y in whatever airline in europe and will be doing 1-2 TATL flights per year in the future. Would say I do around 25-35k miles per year.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Eurobonus Silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Fast track, lounge access and business check-in.
(7) Preferred Airlines? I got used to SAS by now as they serve me the best in terms of routes.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) Mostly pleasure and a few sectors with work where I can choose SAS, however only in economy.

Shouldn't I just choose A3 and then go for gold status or am I missing something? I think I can get 20k points rather easily within a year and I get 100% for Discount Y on SAS(Just by flying home 3-4 times a year which I do, I get 3k points return per trip). And the status is valid for 36 months after right?

Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by keloutwest
Looking for a suggestion on where to credit the UA Global First (A-fare) trip I booked (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...irst-f-37.html).

Here are my details:

UA Prem Gold/*G already this year. Would love to hit Prem Plat for the flexibility on booking award tickets. With that said, availability on UA has become almost as bad as DL. And, since I avoid int'l flights on UA metal (this trip excluded obviously ), their recent devaluation on using miles for premium cabin partner airlines is a big negative for me.

I fly ~125-150k elite qualifying miles per year., no issue with the PQD requirements at all. I always get to 75k (PM) on DL, and tend to split between UA and DL for the balance. A handful of paid int'l business class tickets, the rest domestic economy. I have both Amex plat and Chase Saph Pref credit cards.

What I care about most is international premium cabin redemptions and availability., as well as a few domestic Y-cabin redemptions on UA. Looking for a program with low YQ. My thought is that if you recommend I credit to a program other than UA, that this should become my *A program of choice for 2015+. So I'd hit 50-75k elite miles/year going forward. I've gotten exactly 0 upgrades out of DEN this year as a Prem Gold, so &quot;losing&quot; that benefit isn't an issue.

Thanks for the feedback!
Anyone?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, Miles and More, Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Move from United?

1) What is your home airport? DCA
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Usually economy, sometimes a cash upgrade.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? About 25k/year, but it varies.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? No.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? long-haul business class awards, upgrades.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? United, Turkish, SAS, Delta, American Airlines
(7) Preferred Airlines? I like the SAS Optiontown feature, for long-haul economy I prefer Turkish.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) Both work and pleasure. Usually I can choose the airline.

I'm thinking about changing from United because of the new accrual rules for 2015. I'm planning on making at least 2 transatlantic trips per year for the next couple of years. For 2015 I'm planning 3 (maybe 4) transatlantic trips (one with my young daughter) and one trip to Latin America (also with my daughter). I usually fly domestically a couple of times a year for work, and maybe once for pleasure. I don't mind flying economy for shorter trips, and I've resigned myself to it when traveling with my daughter, but when I'm flying a long-haul trip alone I like to be able to go business class.

I'm considering switching from United FF to SAS (I like the Optiontown feature, and their business class, though economy is awful for a long trip), or Turkish (they have a lot of very affordable flights out of DC to Europe, if I must go economy I like their service, and I happen to love Istanbul and have a lot of friends there).

The only thing that is stopping me is that I have a United Mileage Plus credit card. Since most of the *A flights I'm planning on taking are not actually on United, does the new mileage accrual system even affect me? Is it better to just keep putting *A flights on United? Or should I migrate over to another FFP?

Thank you!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.