Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:19 pm

Another *A Question

I'm *A Silver through UA, but pro'ly won't make Gold this year. Considering switching programs next year because of UA changes - maybe Asiana or something like that (seems easier to qualify for status on Asiana if you fly consistently).

(1) What is your home airport? LAX

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Usually discount economy.

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 20k-50k

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? UA Silver (at 42k miles - unfortunately pro'ly won't make 50k before Dec 31)

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Elite Status plus Award Redemption (although I get more miles from CC so I can credit them wherever)

(6) Which routes do you fly most often? LAX-JFK, LAX-NRT, NRT-ICN, NRT-SIN, LAX-SIN, LAX-ICN

(7) Preferred Airlines: Any that allow me multiple itinerary changes - that's my most important criterion because my schedule changes a lot. Asiana, Korean, Singapore (although tightening up lately), etc.

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? both
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:54 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Hello, I'm currently DL Gold (via my Japanese credit card) and AA Platinum (requalified for 2015). I'm going to have to fly some NRT-ZRH at some point, and figure I might as well explore a new program or go all in. (Oh, and JL changed their SFO-HND flight schedule to be completely useless to me...that aside...)

1) What is your home airport? HND, and reluctantly NRT

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Usually discounted business.

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 40k

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? AA Platinum, DL Gold

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? IRROPS handling and good chances for upgrades and using miles for upgrades on paid tickets.

(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Will be flying NRT-SJC, NRT-JFK, NRT-ZRH, NRT-SEA

(7) Preferred Airlines: Swiss (ZRH), ANA (all others)

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mostly work.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:03 am

(1) YUL (Montreal,Canada)
(2) Economy
(3) Usually under 10k but starting 2015 I'll be doing Asia a few times a year so I assume 25k+
(4) No status
(5) Exchanging miles for tickets, upgrades
(6) It will be mostly Montreal - Taiwan/Japan
(7) None.
(8) a few thousand miles for pleasure per year, will travel 25k miles for work

I am currently a member of Aeroplan, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus...got some aeroplan miles lineup up for a vacation. nothing else.

Should I stick to just one of them or is there a way to maximize ? and then transfer all miles in one program to redeem ?

Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:03 am

Really excited to find this thread. I've only discovered the joys of status in the last few years and would hate to totally lose it due to United's new rules.

(1) Home: New York - EWR, JFK, LGA
(2) Usually buy economy, rarely premium economy. Going back through my history I see S, W, Q, G, Y, T, ZT
(3) Most years I fly less than 10k, but every few years I'll go somewhere far away and hit 25-30k.
(4) Currently have UA Premier Silver - will lose it this year because of the new Premier Qualifying Dollars requirement.
(5) Most important: ease of getting and maintaining status, free/cheap upgrades to premium economy, expedited checkin and security screening, no extra fees
(6) US Domestic - SFO, DFW, MIA, KCI
(7) Don't really have an airline preference. I chose *A because of their good long-haul carriers to Asia/Pacific (Singapore Airlines, Air NZ) but most of my flights are within the US.
(8) Fly mostly for pleasure, a bit of work. I can choose my ticket in both cases.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: British Airways, Lufthansa
(1) Home: LHR,LGW,EDI
(2) economy but wishing to go buisness soon
(3) 15k is a year
(4) Currently have BA Blue
(5) Most important: ease of getting and maintaining status, free/cheap upgrades to premium economy, expedited checkin and security screening, no extra fees
(6) US Domestic-N/A
(7) Don't really have an airline preference. Predominatelly one world with a couple in Star
(8) Fly for pleasure

Currently have: BA, Aeroplan, Virgin America for Virgin Atlantic use but mainly with oneworld
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold/50k, Air Canada Aéroplan
Hi all!
I just move from Canada to the US. I have 400k miles accrued with Aeroplan, which I will probably use for flights back home to visit family and friends. And for vacation.
Am now thinking I should move to United Mileage Plus and add a partner credit card to get the miles going. But I amy be wrong, and that is where you come in!

(1) What is your home airport? SFO
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Have not been paying attention, sorry. Economy business travel booked by company.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Just got 25k on Aeroplan this year, expecting this to go up with new job.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Aeroplan 25k, so 1st tier level.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Frequent upgrades on travel, priority boarding. Free lounge access is nice to have.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? US domestic
(7) Preferred Airlines United, Delta, American seem favored by my employer
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? When travelling for work, I have my pick of airline and schedule, as long as the price difference is small. All economy travel. Fare classes, no clue, I never tried to ask for that.

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:09 pm

.deleted.

Last edited by RedRobin; Jan 5, 2015 at 5:14 am
Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite
This thread seems to be dead, but I will try anyway...

I currently have Platinum status with UA, will probably be Gold next year. I am considering to switch to Lufthansa, mainly because I fly more with them than with UA and I hope I will get upgrades at least from time to time. Other than that I am happy with UA and have no problem maintaining at least Gold status with them, but since I live in Israel and most of my travel is to Europe or Far East (China/Korea/Japan) and typically only once a year to US, I cannot enjoy benefits such as free upgrades and I believe award tickets cost me more, since I usually get award tickets from Lufthansa using my UA miles.

Bottom line, my question is - is it worth for me to move to Lufthansa?

If so, another question would be how to do this, as they don't offer intra-alliance status match problems. I've heard that I can book my tickets using UA frequent flyer number (to get lounge access), but then change it to Lufthansa at the gate. Would this work?

1) What is your home airport? TLV.

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Usually economy or discount economy.

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50K-70K

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? UA Platinum

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, upgrades, miles redemption (in that order)

(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Israel-Europe (mostly), Israel-China/Korea/Japan and usually once a year Israel-US

(7) Preferred Airlines: Lufthansa, United

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mostly work.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by gruimed
Bottom line, my question is - is it worth for me to move to Lufthansa?
Probably not but we still don't know the details of the MileagePlus (MP) for partners after March 1. If there is no revolution, I'd stick with MP but if the earnings on partners are severely "enhanced", consider switching.

Lufthansa Miles&More is attractive only for people flying business or first (or full fare Y). Flying discount economy, you'll have hard time getting Frequent Traveler (FTL) status which is a "gold-plated" *silver status with LH and absolutely no chance for Senator. With last year's gutting of M&M earnings, you get only 50% on such high classes as Q. With FTL, you'll get lounge access to only LH-group lounges, so only in a few airports (FRA, MUC, etc.) and some benefits on LH-flights but no alliance recognition except for *S which is basically nothing tangible. Redemption of M&M miles is also not that great with high fuel surcharges and only premium classes are worth paying YQ.

With UA Gold, you'll get full *G benefits but nothing more for non-UA flights. You'll get full lounge access, reasonable miles redemption (still very good mileage chart in economy because of no YQ, rather average for premium cabins) but few upgrade opportunities as the *A upgrade process is very restrictive (only high classes are eligible for miles upgrade).

With 50-70k yearly miles, you are likely safe for UA*G (but remember of 4 segment minimum on UA for status) but you may also have a look at traditional *A easy *G programs: TK, OZ, and A3 that may suit your travel patterns. The problem with the latter programs is that many discounted economy classes earn as little as 25% or nothing and those about 20k miles per year for *G may not be that easy to get. On the redemption side, there are some bargains in each of them but also fuel surcharges.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite
Thanks for detailed answer, very helpful!

This probably rules out LH, Aegean is indeed worth checking.

Another option I am considering is to move from Star Alliance to Sky Team (Air France or KLM). Any advice regarding these?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by gruimed
Thanks for detailed answer, very helpful!

This probably rules out LH, Aegean is indeed worth checking.

Another option I am considering is to move from Star Alliance to Sky Team (Air France or KLM). Any advice regarding these?
A3 changed their gold and silver requirements, so it is harder, especially while flying discount UA, where you only get 50%.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:54 am

Advice please

(1) Home Airport: AUS, but can use SAT also
(2) Happy to upgrade to premium economy but usually purchase economy
(3) Most years I fly >30k, sometimes >50k - but last two years had to not travel due to injuries
(4) Had UA Gold, then UA Silver, just lost it because of zero travel in 2014. Am traveling again. Have also been AA Plat and Delta Plat in the past.
(5) Most important: ease of getting and maintaining status, upgrades to premium economy, expedited check-in and security screening
(6) US Domestic - AUS-SFO, AUS-DEN and International AUS-BCN, AUS-VIE, AUS-HKG, AUS-PEK
(7) Preference is *A as I need to have points valid for Air Canada routes
(8) Fly for work and pleasure. I book my work flights via corporate tools with a lot of personal control. But the corporate tool puts a lot of pressure for lowest cost non-refundable economy, and new United rules that award points on dollars spent may hurt point accumulation

Thoughts?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:23 am

Hi
I am looking for a program to credit *A flights in. Most of my travel is on discounted economy class international sectors on airlines based in Asia and Europe like SQ, TG, AI, LH & TK. I do not travel much, maybe 2 or 3 trips a year and hence if the program allows pooling miles with family members, it would be good, however, not necessary.

Main motive would be to redeem the miles for those expensive short haul one way tickets, especially within Europe or other small regions.

Any help on which program to credit miles in?
Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:55 pm

Alternative to UA

In a previous job, I flew frequently and had UA and Alaska status. I haven't had status levels in a couple of years, but the new job will be traveling frequently. With UA's new requirements, I'm not sure I'd make the $$ spend requirement on UA.

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
PDX

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
Domestic: discount economy (L,G)
International: business (Y, Z)

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
Anticipating >50K in 2015
~6-8 international and ~8-10 domestic

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
None.
Made the mileage for UA but not the UA $$ requirement. Too many other *A flights

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
Priority services, lounge access - the things that make travel more comfortable

(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
Portland - Dusseldorf
Portland - Tokyo
Portland - SFO or San Jose
Misc Asia, Europe, and domestic

(7) Preferred Airlines
Air Canada to Asia
Domestic I have little preference, except for FFP

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
Both, can mostly choose airline. Domestic is economy, international is business.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sierra_pdx Welcome to the forum

Another "which FFP" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
When you fly internationally which airlines?
UA is still a good ffp, compared many others

Sadly the Star Alliance "which FFP" get few responses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.