Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by DrFeffer
(1) What is your home airport? Right now YYC. Possibly MCI or LAX in the future

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Near cheapest possible, or will stretch it a bit to earn miles
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? <25K or 25k-50K max

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Delta Silver, should be getting *A silver through aegean in the mail soon

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Really trying to get the *A free lounge access, priority boarding and upgrades

(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Probably in this order: US Domestic, Canada/US, Transatlantic, Transpacific

(7) Preferred Airlines - none
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure

I have a round the world trip coming up here and I can't figure out what miles I'll earn with all the codeshare confusion. Does this expression UA Metal mean the actual physical plane?
Here is an example itinerary and I'm trying to figure out if I should join Asiana Club to try to earn gold (because of the 2 years accrual factor, and that I don't travel a ton of miles each year).
What would I earn with Asiana Club with these flights? I tried to figure out on their site. Or should I just use AC? Much appreciated

Flight: UA8458
Operated by AIR CANADA EXPRESS - JAZZ.
Aircraft: Canadair Regional Jet 705
Fare Class: Economy (T)
1,747 miles

Flight:NH858
Operated by ANA All Nippon Airways.
Aircraft: Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner
Fare Class: Economy (K)
2,277 miles

Flight: UA9722
Operated by Air Japan.
Aircraft: Boeing 767-300
3,854 miles

Flight: UA7809
Operated by Hawaiian Airlines.
Aircraft: Boeing 717-200
500 miles
UA Metal means that United will be airline operating your flight / their aircraft. I'm not very familiar with ASIANA's program but a 2 year accrual period is attractive (Similar to LH MM). For this specific trip, the best thing to do is to look up the earnings chart for both AC and Asiana and see what miles you would earn for each program. Programs can range widely. there can be instances where you earn 100% miles in one plan, and another plan would only give you 25 or 50% credit.

Is the above itinerary a typical trip for you?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
... For this specific trip, the best thing to do is to look up the earnings chart for both AC and Asiana and see what miles you would earn for each program. Programs can range widely. there can be instances where you earn 100% miles in one plan, and another plan would only give you 25 or 50% credit...
As you are / will be Aegean silver do the calculation for that ffp also. Earn to burn is what is important
What was the intention / objectives in getting Aegean silver?
Note that swapping ffp number after check in can be problematic:- the change does not always stick

Your Hawaiian flight will not earn miles in a Star ffp, as the operating airline must be Star alliance. In Oneworld the marketing airline determines mile earning

Having many ffp with low balances hardy ever works out as you never get enough miles to be useful and some miles will/may expire

From another thread
Best Frequent Flyer Program for you?
The answer to this question depends very much on your personal travel profile and objectives.
- what is your definition of best?
- do you value miles/points (or equivalent) for redemption over gaining status?
- do you fly enough to gain any meaningful status?
- what do you want to use the miles/points for (award, upgrade, hotels, what ever)?
- what sort of flight award is of interest (destination, class of travel)?
- are you interested in topping up by paying cash for miles?
- which airline and where do you normally fly?
- are you primarily a leisure or business traveller?
- where do you live?
- do you have other ways of earning points in the various programs, e.g. credit cards, shopping, etc,?
- there is a big difference between a frequent flyer and a frequent spender getting ff miles from a credit card
- etc, etc, etc

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 24, 2014 at 6:05 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Platinum, AMEX CA Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As you are / will be Aegean silver do the calculation for that ffp also. Earn to burn is what is important
What was the intention / objectives in getting Aegean silver?
Note that swapping ffp number after check in can be problematic:- the change does not always stick

Your Hawaiian flight will not earn miles in a Star ffp, as the operating airline must be Star alliance. In Oneworld the marketing airline determines mile earning

Having many ffp with low balances hardy ever works out as you never get enough miles to be useful and some miles will/may expire

From another thread
Best Frequent Flyer Program for you?
The answer to this question depends very much on your personal travel profile and objectives.
- what is your definition of best?
- do you value miles/points (or equivalent) for redemption over gaining status?
- do you fly enough to gain any meaningful status?
- what do you want to use the miles/points for (award, upgrade, hotels, what ever)?
- what sort of flight award is of interest (destination, class of travel)?
- are you interested in topping up by paying cash for miles?
- which airline and where do you normally fly?
- are you primarily a leisure or business traveller?
- where do you live?
- do you have other ways of earning points in the various programs, e.g. credit cards, shopping, etc,?
- there is a big difference between a frequent flyer and a frequent spender getting ff miles from a credit card
- etc, etc, etc
I was going for the quick gold with Aegean before they recently changed their program.
I checked on those pacific flights and it looks like I'd only earn 25% with Asiana, and possibly 50% with AC and 50% with Aegean.
I'm a Canadian citizen (so I can't get US credit cards unfortunately) - but I have the Amex Plat Canadian version (which includes the Priority club card) - so I can transfer to Aeroplan and Avios 1:1. AC's redemptions always seem like garbage though to me - little choice if any.
I want status as a #1 priority (I earn lots of fixed based miles/points with my credit cards).
I feel I am just on the line of flying enough for meaningful status. I just wonder if Asiana's 2 year accrual time will give me that possibility for *a gold.
I would use the points for economy redemptions most of the time, possibly business if it's a good deal. I have topped up using cash before.
I live in Canada right now, but possibly moving to the US soon. I will be flying back and forth to Hawaii quite a bit the next few years.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..I want status as a #1 priority (I earn lots of fixed based miles/points with my credit cards). ...
What do you hope to get from status?

Like currencies frequent flyer miles/points are not equal. For awards/upgrades with miles earning 50% miles in 1 ffp can be better value than 100% in another. Especially if a ffp has award cash surcharges and another does not.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: Delta Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Platinum, AMEX CA Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What do you hope to get from status?

Like currencies frequent flyer miles/points are not equal. For awards/upgrades with miles earning 50% miles in 1 ffp can be better value than 100% in another. Especially if a ffp has award cash surcharges and another does not.
This was some of the stuff I was hoping to find out. There is so much to compare with the ffp's. I think first would be upgrades (not using actual points for upgrades), then *a lounge access.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was some of the stuff I was hoping to find out. There is so much to compare with the ffp's. I think first would be upgrades (not using actual points for upgrades), then *a lounge access.
For upgrades the general rule is you can only upgrade a flight marketed (flight number) and operated (metal) by the airline of your frequent flyer programme (no codeshares) with your airlines upgrade instrument (e.g. SWU, miles) or complementary with status (if applicable). All subject to the t&c's of your FFP and your paid ticket. Low cost tickets are often not eligible for upgrades.
However as is the way with FFP's there are some upgrade exceptions
- on some Star Alliance airlines with higher priced Y & B fare

This may be of interest http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...demptions.html
http://www.economicalexcursionists.com/travelTools/ Does not have all airlinbes ffp and may not be up to date
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
*A is my secondary network after OneWorld. I used to use AC because a) I was on the boards of 2 Canadian companies; and b) my wife is Canadian and so we visit family there, but they upped the minimum threshhold for *G a few years ago and I switched to A3. It looks like I've had 65K miles since May 2013. Some of that is from BOS-IAH and BOS-DEN and some LH flights. Much of the domestic is refundable coach and the international is business class. I haven't flown on SQ since they eliminated the SQ-EWR flight. Some is on USAir flights which now would be on OneWorld.

I'm thinking I will have to switch from A3 given their changes as I don't typically fly to Greece. My priority has been getting domestic (and sometimes international) lounge access and boarding priority. Miles matter less as I have 1 MM Avios and 1.7 MM Membership Reward Points. So, I find it harder to spend my FF pesos than to acquire them.

Which would be the best program now?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:23 pm

New York... so JFK or LGA

When paying, premium economy. (i.e. Exit Row seats.)

<25k or 25k-50k tops

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
No

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
Good award redemption rates for first/business class tickets on international flights.

Domestic now... but next couple of years will be more Transatlantic or Transpacific.

(7) Preferred Airlines
I prefer to travel in nicer airlines like Singapore, Cathay, Lufthansa, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, etc... when flying international or Jetblue/Virgin America when flying domestic. But I'm ok with flying on legacy domestic careers on domestic routes if earning those points/miles will help travel in more style on international routes on nicer airlines. Looks like I've been an idiot over the last couple of years and earned mostly Jetblue miles which are basically worthless for my goals.

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
For pleasure.

Goal
Be able to book First or Business Class tickets with points/miles for International Travel. For domestic travel, quite happy with paying out of pocket for premium economy (and save those points for international). If I have to, I'm comfortable w/ paying extra (by way of topping up points or fuel surcharges or whatever fees) of upto $400-800 per First/Business Class ticket for Transpacific or Transatlantic or Europe-Asia flights. I would take these flights anyway as part of my vacation, but if I was paying for them I'd be flying premium economy. I'd like to travel in first or business class instead. Getting bumped to first in USA domestic would be a nice bonus if I can achieve that.

Also currently earning miles mostly through AMEX MR and Chase UR. But I can get Citi AA cards if necessary.

Please help me figure out which alliance is best suited for me as well as which airline FFP is best for me.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by onehitrenegade
New York... so JFK or LGA

When paying, premium economy. (i.e. Exit Row seats.)

<25k or 25k-50k tops

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
No

Good award redemption rates for first/business class tickets on international flights.

Domestic now... but next couple of years will be more Transatlantic or Transpacific.

(7) Preferred Airlines
I prefer to travel in nicer airlines like Singapore, Cathay, Lufthansa, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, etc... when flying international or Jetblue/Virgin America when flying domestic. But I'm ok with flying on legacy domestic careers on domestic routes if earning those points/miles will help travel in more style on international routes on nicer airlines. Looks like I've been an idiot over the last couple of years and earned mostly Jetblue miles which are basically worthless for my goals.

For pleasure.

Goal
Be able to book First or Business Class tickets with points/miles for International Travel. For domestic travel, quite happy with paying out of pocket for premium economy (and save those points for international). If I have to, I'm comfortable w/ paying extra (by way of topping up points or fuel surcharges or whatever fees) of upto $400-800 per First/Business Class ticket for Transpacific or Transatlantic or Europe-Asia flights. I would take these flights anyway as part of my vacation, but if I was paying for them I'd be flying premium economy. I'd like to travel in first or business class instead. Getting bumped to first in USA domestic would be a nice bonus if I can achieve that.

Also currently earning miles mostly through AMEX MR and Chase UR. But I can get Citi AA cards if necessary.

Please help me figure out which alliance is best suited for me as well as which airline FFP is best for me.
Since you are in a Delta / US neighborhood I would start there. I think I would give the edge to US/AA since you can the access BA and CX among other good partners. With DL, you get AF and KLM to europe. IMHO, I'd go US/AA.

Ideally UA Mileage Plus due to great redemption options, but they don't offer a ton of options out of JFK or LGA. If you don't mind flying out of EWR, then UA would be the way to go.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: BA, SQ KF, UA MP, SPG
UA Mileage plus issue

@lufthansaflyer
Hi, I realised that I am short of the age limit 18 to join UA MP, 3 months short as my birthday is in January. Any idea how to get over this? Alternatively, other FFP?
I am intending to travel on Thai in December and I only have a SQ Krisflyer account with little miles now.

Originally Posted by seahyile

SIN

Y (economy fares)

<25k

N.A

Frequent upgrades on travel, good award redemption rates
I also would like to be able to redeem tickets on Japanese domestic routes.

Routes within Asia, mostly SIN-HKG, SIN-BKK, HKG-HND

(7) Preferred Airlines

SQ, TG

All pleasure. Economy class

My question:
A little background about myself, I am a college student in Singapore. I travel only a few times a year with family for leisure. Currently, I have BA membership and SQ Krisflyer. I do not fly SQ frequently and it is difficult to get award tickets. I am seeking advice on which Star Alliance program to join, preferably one that has good award redemption rates for tickets. Is it advisable to join an Asian airline FFP or European/American airline FFP?
Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:46 pm

1) BNA - Nashville, TN
2) US Airways Silver
3) cheap economy fares
4) will be flying BNA-SFO a lot, but mostly BNA-anywhere int'l
5) ~50,000
6) Leisure
7) Upgrades are nice, but mostly award redemption.

Was thinking Alaskan b/c then I'd be able to fly both Delta or American out of BNA and accrue mileage. Thank you.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by seahyile
@lufthansaflyer
Hi, I realised that I am short of the age limit 18 to join UA MP, 3 months short as my birthday is in January. Any idea how to get over this? Alternatively, other FFP?
I am intending to travel on Thai in December and I only have a SQ Krisflyer account with little miles now.
If time isn't an issue you can wait until you turn 18 and submit mileage credit for any flights flown up to 12 months before you registered
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA, SQ KF, UA MP, SPG
Hello,

It is possible but I found out that partner flights are not credited.

Can I receive credit for trips taken before I had a MileagePlus account?
You may receive mileage credit for United-operated flights taken up to 30 days prior to your enrollment date free of charge. No mileage credit will be given for partner flights. You may also receive mileage credit for United-operated flights taken between 31 days and six months prior to enrollment for a $50 USD service fee. Please contact the MileagePlus Service Center or mail a copy of all ticket receipts and the original boarding passes from your United flight(s) to: MileagePlus Service Center, P.O. Box 6120, Rapid City, SD 57709-6120.

How?

Originally Posted by steveman518
If time isn't an issue you can wait until you turn 18 and submit mileage credit for any flights flown up to 12 months before you registered
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:36 pm

Requesting a mileage credit http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...agecredit.aspx
Not sure what you mean about partner flights not being credited...
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by strafe
(1) What is your home airport? DOH
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Will probably fly over 50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? No
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? good award redemption rates
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Doha to Atlanta
(7) Preferred Airlines: dont have one yet
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Most travel will be for pleasure.

My employer has booked a one way ticket for me to Doha on Lufthansa business class so I am wondering which star alliance member I should redeem the miles with.

I will be moving to Doha Qatar for work. I am a travel noob but will be traveling much more now that I will be living over seas. My travel will be from Doha to the US (family is TX and near Chattanooga TN, so probably ATL, IAH, and DFW) and vacation to Europe to meet friends and family half way. I think I will probably return to the US about 2-3 times per year. I will try to go on vacations as much as my holiday time and money allow. I am most interested in redeeming points for economy flights. I dont have much interest in upgrades or perks... of course I have never flown anything but economy so maybe my tastes will change.

I have 70k AA miles, 45k avios, and 50k Chase UR points from credit cards and travel. I almost always fly AA as I live in a small town that is only serviced by AA and United and AA is always significantly cheaper.

So I'm here in Doha now, any suggestions on which airline program I should redeem the ticket with?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.