Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by strafe
(1) What is your home airport? DOH
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Will probably fly over 50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? No
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? good award redemption rates
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Doha to Atlanta
(7) Preferred Airlines: dont have one yet
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Most travel will be for pleasure.

My employer has booked a one way ticket for me to Doha on Lufthansa business class so I am wondering which star alliance member I should redeem the miles with.

I will be moving to Doha Qatar for work. I am a travel noob but will be traveling much more now that I will be living over seas. My travel will be from Doha to the US (family is TX and near Chattanooga TN, so probably ATL, IAH, and DFW) and vacation to Europe to meet friends and family half way. I think I will probably return to the US about 2-3 times per year. I will try to go on vacations as much as my holiday time and money allow. I am most interested in redeeming points for economy flights. I dont have much interest in upgrades or perks... of course I have never flown anything but economy so maybe my tastes will change.

I have 70k AA miles, 45k avios, and 50k Chase UR points from credit cards and travel. I almost always fly AA as I live in a small town that is only serviced by AA and United and AA is always significantly cheaper.
I'm now in Doha, any suggestions on which milage program I should redeem the miles with?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

strafe Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by strafe
So I'm here in Doha now, any suggestions on which airline program I should redeem the ticket with?
I am not sure what you mean by "redeem"? Redeem is when you use miles for an award or upgrade.

How long will you be living in Doha?
What airlines did you use to get to Doha?
Credit the flight to any ffp?

I would stick with AA & UA. If you fly Qatar Airlines QR you will/may get AA miles if a eligible fare class.
Lufthansa flights can credit to UA. However for many fpp's you need to be a signed up member before crediting flights. Join UA now

Edit
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...ill-claim.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23533734-post2.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 1, 2014 at 8:05 pm
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
(1) What is your home airport? BOS
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy / Premium economy / some business (25-30k miles)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? about 75k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? BA Gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? good award redemption rates as my wife and myself also get a lot of miles from our cards (Chase UR/ Amex MR)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? US Domestic (BOS-SFO-BOS), BOS-BLR-BOS, BOS-SIN-BOS
(7) Preferred Airlines: don't have one yet
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Most travel will be for work.

I am currently BA gold (One world Emerald) and don't see any issues maintaining it going forward. The biggest issue with OW is finding OW J availability on TATL and US to Australia / New zealand routes.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
strafe Welcome to FT

I am not sure what you mean by "redeem"? Redeem is when you use miles for an award or upgrade.

How long will you be living in Doha?
What airlines did you use to get to Doha?
Credit the flight to any ffp?

I would stick with AA & UA. If you fly Qatar Airlines QR you will/may get AA miles if a eligible fare class.
Lufthansa flights can credit to UA. However for many fpp's you need to be a signed up member before crediting flights. Join UA now

Edit
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...ill-claim.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23533734-post2.html
Sorry I meant claim miles not redeem.

To answer your questions:
I will be in Doha for at least a few years. I flew here on Lufthansa and have not claimed the miles on any frequent flyer program.

I just signed up for UA, will they let me claim the lufthansa miles?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: Millemiglia, Miles & More, Multiplus
Smile Advice needed!

Hello all, here is mine:

1) GRU airport (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
2) Types of fares: Economy
3) 25-50k /year
4) No
5) Good award redemption rates
6) GRU-FCO (at least 2times a year), flights inside Brazil, flights to the US
7) No preferred airlines. Next month I will fly GRU-FRA-FCO with Lufthansa, then FCO-FRA-EWR and then EWR-GRU and I would like to choose the right FF program.
8) Leisure

Thanks for your help!
Silvia
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
1. My home airport will be YVR
2. Fare type is economy
3. I anticipate <25k miles
4. No status with any airline
5. Lounge access and upgrades
6. Routes will be intra-Canada/USA, to/from Australia and LHR
7. I have no particular preferred airlines
8. A mixture of both work and pleasure

Thanks guys ^
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: delta, united,
help please

What is your home airport? nyc (including ewr)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? about 200k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? dl diamond and ua 1k
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? to be able to earn full miles traveled on lower economy fares on united primarily
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? US Domestic (nyc-lax-nyc) and intl nyc-tlv- nyc

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? both

Im mostly interested in getting full miles travelled plus the 100 percent elite bonus. My flying has been 80 percent dl and ua. I am status matching to alaska as I will accrue 200 percent on all my dl flights regardless of fare and I wanted advice on which Star alliance partner I would do the same primarily for my united "k" fares. I will redeem on united if need be to avoid yq (i can always "fund" my united account with ur points to redeem on other star alliance partners) but the question here is how to accrue 200k miles for the actual 100k miles id fly on united k fare or similar next year.
thanks guys
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT
Hi, I am currently 1K with UA in NYC and decided not to spend $12k+ next year...not sure which program should I credit my UA flights to next year...I plan to fly about 50-75k miles and spend about 10c per mile at most. I frequently book L and T on UA. I fly mostly domestic and a couple of intercontinental flights per year. Those I want to do in C with upgrades or redeem miles for C or upgrades. I definitely want to have *Gold which rules out LH miles&more...used that previously. If only BMI was still star alliance...Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: United 1K, Copa Presidential Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
With all of the United downgrades next year I'm desperate! Help!

1) YYZ Toronto, Canada
2) Types of fares: Economy
3) 100/125k /year
4) United 1K (Star Alliance Gold)
5) Lounge Access, Good award redemption rates, 100% mileage earn on lower fares.
6) Canada-Europe/Asia, Deep South America
7) Star Alliance Airlines in general.
8) Leisure and business, all funded by me.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS
Like many others, due to the new UA, looking to jump ship. Now though, mainly a AA flier, so just looking for a program to dump extra trips into.

1) LAX
2) Types of fares: Economy, 1biz RT
3) OW: 50K, *A ~10-15
4) United GM
5) Earning rates, eventual redemptions (credit card bonus?)
6) earn: US, Redeem: everywhere else
7) Star Alliance Airlines preferred. Sadly AA flier now
8) Leisure and business. Biz funded by co.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rebmig
Like many others, due to the new UA, looking to jump ship.
<snip>
1) LAX
2) Types of fares: Economy, 1biz RT
3) OW: 50K, *A ~10-15
4) United GM
5) Earning rates, eventual redemptions (credit card bonus?)
6) earn: US, Redeem: everywhere else
7) Star Alliance Airlines preferred. Sadly AA flier now
8) Leisure and business. Biz funded by co.
As you are a USA resident hard to go past UA. The grass is not greener over the Star Alliance fence. The grass may be greener over the fence in the OneWorld AA garden
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: QR Gold
(1) What is your home airport? HKG
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? ~48K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? No
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounges access and priority baggage and extra baggage allowance
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? HKG-LHR
(7) Preferred Airlines: SQ LH TK CA
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Travel between Home and School.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.
Need advice which program is best to join?

(1) What is your home airport? YVR
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? ~50-60K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? AC E50
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades, priority boarding, lounge (in priority order)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? YVR-PHL (3-4), YVR-FRA (2-3), YVR-SIN (1-2)
(7) Preferred Airlines: SQ AC
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work
Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Emerald Club Exec Elite, Air-Kayaker (former United MP)
Need help for 2015

(1) What is your home airport?
IND

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy?
2014: V, U, E, W, Q, T, H

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
2014, Probably just at 25k, def not up to 50k. When i made Goild in 2012-13 it was on segs, not miles.

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
None currently. I was UA Gold in 2012-13, job change killed that, and this year with new job, I calculated I just squeaked at 30 segments, but that was spread over different carriers (the bulk of my flights were on UA).

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Accruing/redeeming miles for family vacations is most important, pretty much domestic travel a couple times per year. I funnel mileage+ dining and hilton double-dip to UA right now. I could do that to AA or whatever other airline I choose (if i move from UA). I used to get upgraded all the time as a silver on UA, and that never happened this year. I also have the chase preferred card so accruing gobs of points there and can use on any carrier.

(6) Which routes do you fly most often
US Domestic - when I fly for work these days it will be MSP, IAH, DFW, OKC, KC, OMA, FLL, MSY, BOS. Anything else will be gravy.

(7) Preferred Airlines Right now UA just because I am most familiar, and also with hub at ORD, I like to connect thru there on my returns, b/c if something happens I can just grab a car and be home in 3 hrs.

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
almost all for work, with a handful of flights domestic each year for personal. i control my own bookings w/ work, but if i select a more expensive flight i have to be able to justify (i usually can). been talking about taking a trip to Europe in a few years, and would like to accrue/use points for that.

UA point redemption has been great for me thru the years...with good planning Ive always been able to get exactly the routes/times we want for only 25K or less per leg. I am hearing that in 2015 that UA's redemption requirements will increase...if so, want to know if i will be able to do any better on accrual/redemption on another carrier, or just stick w/ UA
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
New member seeking advice for 2015

Hello all!

I've been creeping FlyerTalk for a few weeks now. Stoked to build my acumen and be a valuable contributor soon!

In the meantime, any assistance you guys might offer on selecting the best 2015 program for me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Tristan

(1) What is your home airport? BCN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Usually economy; sometimes economy flex.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? >50K; sometimes >75K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? AC Altitude 35
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Frequent upgrades.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? BCN-YYZ, BCN-LAX, BCN-NYC
(7) Preferred Airlines? No preference.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both. I make my own booking choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.