Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look here (top sticky thread in this forum)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
1.CCS (Caracas)
2.Deep discount Economy
3.<25K
4.AA PLT
5.Free lounge access, Preferred seating, Business/First class check-in.
6.International
7.None
8.100% Pleasure

I can choose airline,class of service. Usually remain loyal to my alliance (Oneworld) and do almost all my travel with American. I think, given my travel patterns. Preferred route. Caracas-North America, there's nothing better than OW. But would like to explore my *A options as i have to start diverse travel... as ticketing from Venezuela starts to get harder. Fast-Track to status,something similar i have with OW is what i would hope for *A as all my travels are on Y.

I don't care about upgrades. Low economy award mileage redemption would be a nice benefit but far from the most important. Lounge access (most important),preferred seating in Y, priority check-in ,anything than can enhance my international travel experience in Y is welcome

Last edited by mvtm; Mar 20, 2014 at 4:56 pm
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mvtm
1.CCS (Caracas)
2.Deep discount Economy
3.<25K
4.AA PLT
5.Free lounge access, Preferred seating, Business/First class check-in.
6.International
7.None
8.100% Pleasure

I can choose airline,class of service. Usually remain loyal to my alliance (Oneworld) and do almost all my travel with American. I think, given my travel patterns. Preferred route. Caracas-North America, there's nothing better than OW. But would like to explore my *A options as i have to start diverse travel... as ticketing from Venezuela starts to get harder. Fast-Track to status,something similar i have with OW is what i would hope for *A as all my travels are on Y.

I don't care about upgrades. Low economy award mileage redemption would be a nice benefit but far from the most important. Lounge access (most important),preferred seating in Y, priority check-in ,anything than can enhance my international travel experience in Y is welcome
I think I commented on your other thread earlier, but perhaps you might want to consider sending your AA PLT credentials to Aegean. They might match you to *G which lasts for life (unique to Aegean) if you credit a flight at least every 3 years, and you can get lounge access on all *A flights regardless which FFP you credit to.

Lifemiles for low Y award redemptions.

In *A, you have to have status on the carrier you are seeking better seating with. So, if better seats are important to you, pick the carrier you'll be flying the most on (exception: AC on higher fares).
Old Mar 21, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I think I commented on your other thread earlier, but perhaps you might want to consider sending your AA PLT credentials to Aegean. They might match you to *G which lasts for life (unique to Aegean) if you credit a flight at least every 3 years, and you can get lounge access on all *A flights regardless which FFP you credit to.

Lifemiles for low Y award redemptions.

In *A, you have to have status on the carrier you are seeking better seating with. So, if better seats are important to you, pick the carrier you'll be flying the most on (exception: AC on higher fares).
Thank you
I just saw your reply on the other thread. I'll go with your recommendations. Do you know to what address should i email Aegean? Do i need to create an account with them first before i drop the mail?

I'll join Lifemiles too.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer Gold, CX Marco Polo Gold, United, Delta
Which Star Alliance Airline program should I build status with?

I currently reside in Bangkok, Thailand. Home is NYC. Previously I was Platinum with AA for several years, then since the past 2 yrs Gold with SQ Krisflyer. I take several business trips and my wife, our son and would do at least 1 trip a year to the US and 2 others for vacations. Fave Airline is SQ and we try to use it as much as possible, however redemption taxes and mileage accrual through partner airlines is pretty strict/tough. I will make gold again through Krisflyer in another 3 months for sure. Wondering if I should switch to another airline FF program for myself. Also, what airline FF should my wife enroll into? Notice ANA has a family program. I also have a Amex Platinum both in the US and Thailand.

(1) What is your home airport? - BKK (for now) else NYC

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? - C/Y/Q/H for Biz and Vacas

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? - >50k

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? - SQ Krisflyer Gold

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? - Good award redemption rates, easy upgrades

(6) Which routes do you fly most often - Within Asia (China, HK, S'pore, Europe)

(7) Preferred Airlines - SQ, TG, ANA

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? - Both

(Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) - For work depends on distance usually depends on best price
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL Gold, Starwood Gold
I have the same issue/question as some of the other posters: I travel quite frequently for business in C but have been putting miles on UA so I could get free domestic trips/status. But these minimum flights on UA metal and the future minimum spends to maintain premier status have me irritated. I earn the majority of my *A miles on LH. Still debating if it's time to switch to LH Miles & More.

(1) What is your home airport? LAX
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? C for work. Personal: mileage redemption on C for int'l
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? >50K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? UA Premier Platinum, AA EXP
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? From most to least important: good award redemption, upgrades, lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: Int'l TATL
(7) Preferred Airlines LH
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work, but pleasure quite a bit. That's how I burn the miles up.

Appreciate any advice out there.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by secret_chimp
I have the same issue/question as some of the other posters: I travel quite frequently for business in C but have been putting miles on UA so I could get free domestic trips/status. But these minimum flights on UA metal and the future minimum spends to maintain premier status have me irritated. I earn the majority of my *A miles on LH. Still debating if it's time to switch to LH Miles & More.

(1) What is your home airport? LAX
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? C for work. Personal: mileage redemption on C for int'l
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? >50K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? UA Premier Platinum, AA EXP
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? From most to least important: good award redemption, upgrades, lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: Int'l TATL
(7) Preferred Airlines LH
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work, but pleasure quite a bit. That's how I burn the miles up.

Appreciate any advice out there.
LH/UA have a JV. You should be able to plate LH segments on UA stock if you don't have a foreign address for the PQD thing. I would stick with UA unless you will fly 100,000 miles in a year because LH doesn't give Senator Status until then (heck, LH gives Star Silver at more miles than some airlines give Gold).
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:59 pm

Changing Alliance, A3, OZ or UA?

Hi everyone. I have read many posts but still couldn't decide which program to focus on. Thanks in advance for ur help.

I have Cathay's silver status now, which is a OW Ruby. It doesn't give me any actual benefits when I am not flying with Cathay. In addition, to keep the status and to attain higher one in Cathay is really painful...so I am considering switching to *A.

(1) What is your home airport?
My base is CAN (Guangzhou), and HKG is okay for me as well. However, I also spend a lot of time in the US. Most of the time I fly between JFK/ORD/LAX and HKG/CAN.

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Most of the time would be Economy Y, but sometimes when flying between Chinese cities, First Class A is also a choice.

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
I could only answer this question in a two-year basis. I normally fly three round trips between US and China in two years. After adding up some short haul flights in US and China, it turns out to be around 45-60K in two years.

(4) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Priority Services, lounge access, and upgrades

(5) Preferred Airlines
I prefer OW Cathay, but the FFP is changing my mind.

The question I have is to choose between A3, OZ and UA.
Since A3 may or may not change its requirements to keep the status, I am not sure if it is still worth to get it. After attaining A3, I can choose UA since UA is a superior program in redeeming miles. The problem is, if A3 changes requirements, I have no other backup plans for *Gold.

I can get OZ's status easily, but OZ's miles are not that competitive to UA.

So could talkers plz give me some advice? A3+UA, A3+OZ, OZ+UA or OZ only?
Thanks a lotttttttttttt!!!
Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:05 pm

Deleted

Last edited by bearsfan172; Mar 30, 2014 at 6:18 pm
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:54 am

(1) What is your home airport? SFO, PVG, HKG
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? transcpac C
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 6-10 r/ts a year, so about 70k-120k miles
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? DL DM
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good redemption rates out of China or Hong Kong. It seems like Asian airlines don't give complimentary upgrades to elites like they do in the US, otherwise it'd be nice to get upgraded when I fly regional short haul in Y
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Transpacific and intra Asia short haul
(7) Preferred Airlines, CX, NH, OZ, SQ
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work for long haul, personal for short haul. Can choose airlines among the lower cost options, within reason

I'm tempted to go with CA, but the two year expiration and lack of elite bonus miles when flying other *A metal puts me off.

A3, TK and OZ don't have good redemption rates out of China...
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by savekenny
(1) What is your home airport? SFO, PVG, HKG
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? transcpac C
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 6-10 r/ts a year, so about 70k-120k miles
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? DL DM
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good redemption rates out of China or Hong Kong. It seems like Asian airlines don't give complimentary upgrades to elites like they do in the US, otherwise it'd be nice to get upgraded when I fly regional short haul in Y
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Transpacific and intra Asia short haul
(7) Preferred Airlines, CX, NH, OZ, SQ
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work for long haul, personal for short haul. Can choose airlines among the lower cost options, within reason

I'm tempted to go with CA, but the two year expiration and lack of elite bonus miles when flying other *A metal puts me off.

A3, TK and OZ don't have good redemption rates out of China...
Well...getting *A Gold status is definitely not a problem for you, so you don't have to consider A3. I do not suggest you to go with CA as well because the redemption and their service... It is true that TK and OZ don't have good redemption rates, but it is extremely easy for you to get OZ's lifetime Diamond status. And OZ gives out many complimentary upgrades to its diamond members. In the sense of redemption, OZ is okay if you redeem short haul direct point-to-point flights within South Asia, departing from ICN. The only problem is that you have to somehow use ICN as your base.

I would say if you are looking for good redemption rate, check for United, but it would be hard for you if you want to enjoy upgrades.

Hmm...Cathay Pacific's Marco Polo Club (Asian Miles) could be another to consider, but it is an Oneworld member. Personally, I would suggest you to get OZ's life time diamond first, and then choose other programs like UA or change to Oneworld. CX has some really good services to its ffp members, esp when you are in CX Gold or higher.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Cyzei
Well...getting *A Gold status is definitely not a problem for you, so you don't have to consider A3. I do not suggest you to go with CA as well because the redemption and their service... It is true that TK and OZ don't have good redemption rates, but it is extremely easy for you to get OZ's lifetime Diamond status. And OZ gives out many complimentary upgrades to its diamond members. In the sense of redemption, OZ is okay if you redeem short haul direct point-to-point flights within South Asia, departing from ICN. The only problem is that you have to somehow use ICN as your base.

I would say if you are looking for good redemption rate, check for United, but it would be hard for you if you want to enjoy upgrades.

Hmm...Cathay Pacific's Marco Polo Club (Asian Miles) could be another to consider, but it is an Oneworld member. Personally, I would suggest you to get OZ's life time diamond first, and then choose other programs like UA or change to Oneworld. CX has some really good services to its ffp members, esp when you are in CX Gold or higher.
CX has absolutely horrible redemption rates, though. CA has great redemption on select routes out of China or HK! Why not CA?

On OZ, lifetime is at 500k, right? It'll take several years before I get there...
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by savekenny
CX has absolutely horrible redemption rates, though. CA has great redemption on select routes out of China or HK! Why not CA?

On OZ, lifetime is at 500k, right? It'll take several years before I get there...
CX allows several stopovers and open jaw when redeeming, so it could be a selling point if you care about this.

I am not quite familiar with CA, but its service is definitely not as good as CX and OZ. Upgrade for CA is a joke...And CA is about to raise its price for first class A. Well, if you also have CA's credit card, then it is not that bad to put your miles in CA.

For OZ, 500K for lifetime status is the lowest requirement among almost all airlines, and you can get it very quickly. Also, before you get the lifetime status, you can still enjoy OZ Diamond. OZ has much better service than CA.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:35 am

(1) What is your home airport? Primarily BRU, but occasionally CDG/AMS
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) 25K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc) Used to be UA Premier got bumped down few months ago to no-status
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) Lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) BRU to Eastern/Central Europe/Turkey mostly (Moscow, Kiev, Sofia, Vienna, Prague, Istanbul)
(7) Preferred Airlines - Brussels Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service) Work, cannot choose class of service

Based on other replies in this thread, I am trying to decide between Aegean and Turkish Airlines frequent flyer programs. Any input appreciated here.

Edit (1): I have about 15K miles in UA Mileage Plus. Can I transfer over to Aegean or Turkish easily? Also, I usually travel once or twice a year from BRU to Tampa, FL for pleasure - would be great if I can redeem Aegean/Turkish FF miles for one transatlantic flight.

Edit (2): Answering one of my own questions: Looks like there is no option transfer miles into/out-of Aegean FF program.

Last edited by sociableorg; Apr 6, 2014 at 6:43 am
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by sociableorg
(1) What is your home airport? Primarily BRU, but occasionally CDG/AMS
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) 25K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc) Used to be UA Premier got bumped down few months ago to no-status
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) Lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) BRU to Eastern/Central Europe/Turkey mostly (Moscow, Kiev, Sofia, Vienna, Prague, Istanbul)
(7) Preferred Airlines - Brussels Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service) Work, cannot choose class of service

Based on other replies in this thread, I am trying to decide between Aegean and Turkish Airlines frequent flyer programs. Any input appreciated here.

Edit (1): I have about 15K miles in UA Mileage Plus. Can I transfer over to Aegean or Turkish easily? Also, I usually travel once or twice a year from BRU to Tampa, FL for pleasure - would be great if I can redeem Aegean/Turkish FF miles for one transatlantic flight.

Edit (2): Answering one of my own questions: Looks like there is no option transfer miles into/out-of Aegean FF program.
Well, in fact, no matter which ffp you choose, miles earned toward that specific program cannot be transfer to another.

In my opinion, you can get A3 Gold first, which requires 20K miles in 1-2 years, depending on how you manage your trips. A3 Gold gives you access to all Star Alliance lounge, which I guess it's the most important thing to you. Also, after you get A3 Gold, you only need to have one account activity in 36 months (or 24? I forget) to maintain your Star-alliance Gold status. A extremely short haul flight counts, as long as it is eligible to A3.

After you get A3, I think you can place your miles into UA, which is the most rewarding program. UA does not cost you much when redeeming miles. You can still enjoy *A Gold benefits (which A3 gives you) even if you are earning miles to UA's ffp.

The only problem of this is that you do not know when Aegean would chance their t&c...lol...And you may need to print your boarding pass twice to have this done. (Typing in A3's ffp number first, and this gives you *G status, and then reprinting your pass with UA's number, which your *G status would still be shown, agents can help you with that)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.