Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:30 am

M&B *G achieved, where to accumulate miles

Originally Posted by Cyzei
Well, in fact, no matter which ffp you choose, miles earned toward that specific program cannot be transfer to another.

In my opinion, you can get A3 Gold first, which requires 20K miles in 1-2 years, depending on how you manage your trips. A3 Gold gives you access to all Star Alliance lounge, which I guess it's the most important thing to you. Also, after you get A3 Gold, you only need to have one account activity in 36 months (or 24? I forget) to maintain your Star-alliance Gold status. A extremely short haul flight counts, as long as it is eligible to A3.

After you get A3, I think you can place your miles into UA, which is the most rewarding program. UA does not cost you much when redeeming miles. You can still enjoy *A Gold benefits (which A3 gives you) even if you are earning miles to UA's ffp.

The only problem of this is that you do not know when Aegean would chance their t&c...lol...And you may need to print your boarding pass twice to have this done. (Typing in A3's ffp number first, and this gives you *G status, and then reprinting your pass with UA's number, which your *G status would still be shown, agents can help you with that)
I have followed the advice above but am looking for some additional advice based on my new situation as below. I am already qualified for *G on Aegean/M&B for 2016. To be clear, I achieved gold status first in Nov 2014. This expires in Jan 2016. I just received and email from M&B that I have already accumulated enough miles to stay in Gold tier for the next year as well. Does it make sense to accumulate miles in the same M&B account after achieving gold status for the next year?

(1) What is your home airport? Primarily BRU

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) Y

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) 25K

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc) Miles and Bonus Gold *G since Nov 2014; I just received notification that I already qualify for *G Status through 2016 as well

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) Lounge access
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) BRU to Eastern/Central Europe/Turkey mostly (Moscow, Kiev, Sofia, Vienna, Prague, Istanbul)
(7) Preferred Airlines - Brussels Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service) Work, cannot choose class of service
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:48 am

Programs: AA
Which is the best FF program to choose in LIS

Hi, new here and looking for some advice as I need to switch FF programs.

1. Just recently moved from LAX to LIS

2. I fly >100K each year for work and pleasure. Work is almost always business class while pleasure is economy with fingers crossed for upgrades

3. Most of my travel will be within Europe with some transatlantic (maybe 5 to 10x per year). I expect LIS-LON to be my most heavily traveled route but that will probably make up less than 40% of my overall travel.

4. I have been AA Concierge Key for the last 5 years

5. Important FF benefits to me in order are: award tickets, award and complimentary upgrades, priority check-in and lounge access

6. I can choose which airline and sometimes class

So in LIS what is the best FF to partner with and how can I leverage my AA status on the new program?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: Velocity Rewards
I'm also looking for advice on a new FF program.

(1) What is your home airport? AKL - Auckland
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? V
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 20k. ~40 * 200 per year, plus a return flight AKL - FRA (or DUS) every other year.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Air NZ Airpoints Gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Award redemption rates
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Air NZ domestic
(7) Preferred Airlines?
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mostly work, except the AKL - FRA flight. No alternative to Air NZ on the regular trip.

Ideally I'd like to earn enough miles from the 40 flights within NZ every year to purchase a ticket with miles to Frankfurt. Star Alliance gold would be nice, but isn't necessary.

Airpoints has the benefit of having an associated NZ credit card, however redeeming awards is very restrictive. Can only book Air NZ operated flights (with no options to Frankfurt) so we're currently just booking AKL-LAX/SFO/YVR return then paying cash the rest of the way.

From a cursory glance, Miles & More seems like the best option, however I'm having difficulty deciphering the earn rate at https://www.miles-and-more.com/onlin...l=en&cid=18002 . It states that the earn rate for 'V' class tickets is '0.5x distance; at least 250 miles.' Does that mean the flight needs to be at least 250 miles, or that 250 miles will be earned for any shorter flights. If the latter, does that mean 250 miles or 125 miles (0.5 * 250) will be earned?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: LH Sen***, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm about to move to Paris. I've been a LH SEN for ever, but I guess I may be using AF now a lot from CDG for long haul. I have a Delta account (with the original card from 1988), so I'm not sure if I should switch to using my SkyMiles account, get a brand new Flying Blue account, or... and this is the main *A question - should I carry on flying LH etc as much as possible to keep the *G?
Old Oct 16, 2015, 3:01 am

Frequent Business traveller from Denmark.
Started in SAS *A program, (Close to silver by now) but thinking about moving to Miles & More, but before doing anything, I searched the internet for answers and found you guys

(1) What is your home airport?
(BLL or CPH)

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?-
(Economy/Economy flex: W,S,Y,B, H, K, L, M, N, Q, T, V, X)

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
Between: 25k -> 75K.

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
SAS - Basic (Close to silver)

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
Lounge & service when flying (food etc.)

Within Europe

(7) Preferred Airlines
SAS

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
Work - No options for choosing - Yet

Hope to get help from the experts

Best
Michael
Old Oct 24, 2015, 2:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
I've just started a job which will require me to travel for business and would be grateful for advice on what *A FF scheme I should join.

SIN

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy?
V, T, or Y

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
I expect to be flying around 25 - 50k / year for work; much of this will be shorthaul regional flights. I also travel approx 10 - 15k for leisure.

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present?
I previously missed out on A3 gold status when it was easy to get because they didn't credit my miles in time, so don't have any existing FFP membership. I have 18k award miles languishing there but am willing to write this off.

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Lounge access, award redemption rates

(6) Which routes do you fly most often?
Southeast Asian regional, SIN-LHR long haul.

(7) Preferred Airlines?
SQ

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
Primarily work; I have flexibility in choosing which airlines to travel with, so long as they are not prohibitively expensive compared to other carriers (e.g. SQ)

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 31, 2015, 6:39 pm

Hi All,

I'm going on a 'round the world' trip next year, with flights booked individually (it worked out cheaper than a RTW ticket in the end).

In South America we are doing a lot of flying with *A (mainly Aviainca) and it would be good to try and get some value out of this. I appreciate that we're not going to make any status with economy fares but it would be good if we can get enough rewards for a flight or two while we're in the US or Canada. We should fly about 5,000 miles each, so 10,000 total between two of us.

Does anyone have any advice on which FF we should be joining?

Answers to the questions are below.

Thanks

Adam

(1) What is your home airport? CBR/SYD
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? <20k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? None
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Hoping to get a reward flight or two in US/Canada
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Avianca
(7) Preferred Airlines? Not fussy
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure, most work travel is with OW.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:14 pm

Moving to SIN next year, looking for most optimised program

Hello All,

I would like to ask your expert advices as I am going to move back to Singapore. I am currently FF on Mile&More, I do not travel 100k miles per year and will definitely never become Gold if I stay on that program. I however travel more than 50k per year and believe I could get more benefits if I was moving to another program

My silver enables me to access the lounge in Europe but I won't be able to access it in SIN, where I will be travelling most of the time.

Here is my profile:

Currently:
(1) What is your home airport? JNB
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? mostly Q, V, W, sometimes H M. Y or K depending on the avaibilities and price
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? between 55k and 75k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Frequent Flyer M&M
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? 1) Bagage allowance 2) access to lounge, 3) priority check-in, 4) upgrades, 5) priority boarding
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? JNB-FRA-BRU-FRA-BRU or JNB-ZRH-BRU-ZRH-JNB
(7) Preferred Airlines LX, SA
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? about 50/50. I can choose my tickets/class

From next year:
(1) What is your home airport? SIN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? mostly Q, V, W, sometimes H M, Y or K depending on the availability and price
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? between 55k and 75k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Frequent Flyer M&M
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? 1) Bagage allowance 2) access to lounge, 3) priority check-in, 4) upgrades, 5) priority boarding
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? SIN-FRA-BRU-FRA-SIN or SIN-ZRH-BRU-ZRH-SIN, or SIN-CDG-SIN, and probably about 1-2 regional flights per months from SIN.
(7) Preferred Airlines SQ
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? about 60/40. I can choose my tickets/class, as long as the price is reasonable.

With slightly more than 50k per year (73k this year already), I am sure I could be close to *A Gold on some programs. But that would mean I have to change my program and start from scratch again, unless I can possibly get a status match?

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your advices!
Mariton
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:25 pm

Aeroplan to United (or something else?)

Hi All, thanks in advance for any advice you have on this.

- YYZ usually
- BUF alternate

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
- Discounted Y (cheapest usually)

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
- 25K to 50K

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
- *G
- Aeroplan E50K

- Complementary Upgrades to Business Class / E+ Seating
- Lounge Access
- Priority Boarding

- Canada -> US 50%
- Canada Domestic -> 25%
- Canada International -> 20%

(7) Preferred Airlines
- Open to anything (see below)

- Work 80%
- Pleasure 20%

More information, got *G/E50K this year (kicks in Jan 1 currently *S/E35K), it was an effort to get enough mileage on AC Metal since most travel is outside of Canada I'm usually on United. My next trip this year is 6 segments on AC just to get the last few segments I need on AC.

I'm thinking of switching to United's program on Jan 1, and collecting with them next year since once you reach status on United they have the complementary upgrades to E+ and Business (right?) and on AC they don't do any comp upgrades.

Questions then, if I switch to United and then use my (non-Status) United number on my travel, will I still get *G privilege since I'll have E50K? Specifically priority boarding and lounge access. I don't want to have wait 8 months to get back into boarding group 2. I know I won't get upgrades into preferred seating in United until I have status there, but hey that par for the course with AC.

My other option I was thinking of was to status match into Delta's program and using Delta out of YYZ and BUF for US/International travel and WestJet for Canada travel. But not sure how well that would work.

Thanks all.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 6:22 pm

(1) What is your home airport? SEL currently, soon relocating to MEL
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y, usually discount fares
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? <25k, probably will go up to about 25k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? OZ Club Gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Priority services, Lounge access. Upgrades would be nice.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often Once I relocate, Australia->Asia, US(east coast)
(7) Preferred Airlines TG, OZ, SQ but will fly anyone decent that is generous with miles
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure

I have about 90k miles towards lifetime D+ with OZ, but given how much I fly, it's pretty much a non-issue. I can't seem to decide if I want to switch over to QF or stay with *A given the network in Australia. I have PriorityPass for now for lounge access but that's pretty much useless in Australia and the US.

I'm normally willing to take extra connections or pay extra (within reason) to fly on my favored carriers though. I'd like to upgrade every now and then but OZ doesn't even fly to MEL which is a bit of a concern (and *A upgrades require a Y fare, which at that point you might as well buy discount business).

Last edited by stupidhead; Nov 7, 2015 at 6:36 pm
Old Nov 7, 2015, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stupidhead
(1) What is your home airport? SEL currently, soon relocating to MEL
<snip>
I have about 90k miles towards lifetime D+ with OZ, but given how much I fly, it's pretty much a non-issue. I can't seem to decide if I want to switch over to QF or stay with *A given the network in Australia. I have PriorityPass for now for lounge access but that's pretty much useless in Australia and the US.
How long in Australia for? Short term (months - a few years) or for ever?

There are no *A domestic airlines in Australia. Some international airlines serve Australia. Air NZ is a Star Alliance airline, but has nil to very poor earnings with any ffp on many flights.
Not worth changing to any other Star ffp (but watch expiry)

QF (OneWorld) is a very poor ffp. AA (OneWorld) may be better, even with the upcoming changes. AA are to start LAX-SYD-LAX flights in December this year.

USA based airline ffp's tend to more generous (earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Old Nov 8, 2015, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
How long in Australia for? Short term (months - a few years) or for ever?

There are no *A domestic airlines in Australia. Some international airlines serve Australia. Air NZ is a Star Alliance airline, but has nil to very poor earnings with any ffp on many flights.
Not worth changing to any other Star ffp (but watch expiry)

QF (OneWorld) is a very poor ffp. AA (OneWorld) may be better, even with the upcoming changes. AA are to start LAX-SYD-LAX flights in December this year.

USA based airline ffp's tend to more generous (earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Hmmm....thanks for the help. I sort of opened a QF account to park stray EK miles but will definitely look into AAdvantage.

I'll be in MEL for at least two years....there's a possibility I may relocate to the US later on too (say, 5~10 year horizon?). Kind of sad to hear what UA did with their accrual rates for discount Y (used to be 100% for all paid Y fares with OZ club).
Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:32 pm

Can someone tell me how to get this whole air mile thing going. I don't use credit cards. I fly mostly domestic out of SMF (Sacramento, CA). Only travel a couple of times a year but looking to do more if I could get in on cheap airfare. Speaking on cheap airfare how do I begin to find like those hot last minute deals "mistake airfare" or something like that. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stupidhead
Hmmm....thanks for the help. I sort of opened a QF account to park stray EK miles but will definitely look into AAdvantage.

I'll be in MEL for at least two years....there's a possibility I may relocate to the US later on too (say, 5~10 year horizon?)
IMHO AS would be a better ffp to park miles from EK flights.
With QF with EK flight numbers you get QF points, but not QF status credits

For 2 years I would not consider QF. Keep to a USA based ffp.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:24 pm

Hi there, first time poster, gonna take the plunge. First I think a little background on my situation might help you guys. I'm a student at a university on the East coast but I'm originally from the SF Bay Area. Therefore I would love to be able to fly back to see my family on the major breaks holidays, etc. My closest international airport is BOS, but to go to the New York area airports isn't much of a hassle.

I have done a bit of research and I'm leaning towards Mileage Plus. My only reservations are the PQDs and the revenue based reward miles. I tend to buy the cheapest tickets available for domestic flights on UA metal, but for long international flights, I try to avoid UA (as any logical person would) and I'm not sure if I could earn PQDs from say, Lufthansa or Singapore. Plus, the amount of rewards miles I get is not nearly close to what I would get if it was distance based.

I'm not adverse to trying out Oneworld if you guys have better suggestions however Skyteam doesn't seem all that appealing to me (but I promise to keep an open mind if you have a compelling arguement). Up until a couple of days ago it was pretty clear that I was going to pick AA, but now I'm not sure.

(1) I am halfway between BOS and JFK/EWR/LGA so any of those airports would work for me. (Technically my closest airports are BDL and PVD, but they don't have flights to anywhere)
(2) I'm not sure what the classes are, I generally fly premium economy if it's available and if not, then Economy.
(3) Last year flew about 35,000 - 40,000 miles, but all on different airlines and thus different programs so hoping to consolidate.
(4) BR Silver and *A Silver -- Valid until 10/31/16
(5) I would love upgrades but realistically at the amount I travel, it's unlikely. Also good award charts, especially in upper cabin levels for transpacific/Atlantic flights.
(6) Fly roundtrip BOS-SFO at least 6 times a year and at least one transpacific or transatlantic flight per year.
(7) None for the most part, tend to hate UA for international travel in economy but if the price is right...
(8) Travel for pleasure, so I can pick whatever airline I want.

My overall goal is to get the transcontinental flights for as cheap as possible, and maybe get one transpacific flight I take per year bumped up to business or first.

Sorry if this is too long, but thanks in advance for all your help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.