Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:22 am

Mwenenzi, thank you for your reply!

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Real taxes are 100% the same for all passengers flying the same route & class of travel on all airlines
Sorry, I meant surcharges, not taxes.

USA based airline ffp's tend to be more generous (status benefits/earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry) compared to non USA based airline ffp’s (even after the recently announced changes to some USA ffp’s)
Generally, how do they compare to Avianca (heard they have the best miles per benefit ratio?) or Asiana (10 year expiry??).

The airline you fly most or an airline of the country you live is the best ffp for many people.
The airline you fly and the airline ffp you credit those flights to does not need to be the same.
The thing is, I fly a different one almost every time...
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by TomPete
I've been with M&M till now but not really happy with their tax policies (EDIT: should be "surcharge policies"). Makes the awards too expensive. So I'm looking for a better option.

(1) What is your home airport? Currently UIO but could change within this or next year, possibly to HKG
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Usually cheapest
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Somewhere between 8k-20k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc) None
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) Good award redemption rates & options (mainly flights)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) To ZRH more than others but also a lot of random short trips (South America, Asia).
(7) Preferred Airlines Non in particular...though I try to stay away from American ones.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) Leisure I guess (I'm a digital nomad, can always choose airlines/class of service)
Based in Asia I used Miles and Smiles simply to achieve status. When booking I was generally pretty careful about the fare class as often $20 - $100 would mean the difference between no points through to full credit and mostly my fares were paid by company. However if you can get credit card spend adding to miles that may influence the program. I preferred to direct credit card spend to a hotel program.

If based in Hong Kong Asiana may be a good option and dare I say it Air China which if travelling within Asia may be an airline that you will travel on a lot if you want to stick with Star Alliance.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:29 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Miles beyond A3 Gold?

Hi all, I was wondering if you could help me with my dilemma. In short: I found myself back in a job where I travel regularly enough to easily earn and maintain A3*G. I have begun wondering whether I should credit any miles beyond that to another FFP.

Specifically I am wondering whether I should start building up towards Lifetime Star Gold. So, my real questions are:

1) Which airlines actually offer Lifetime Star Gold? (I can look up the requirements and limitations myself, grateful if you could point me in the right direction).
2) Is it worth starting from scratch to accumulate on such a programme (beyond my A3*G qualification requirements)? or
3) Should I just keep crediting to A3 (to build RDM) or to another Star porgramme where I already have a stash of miles? (approx. 150k each on A3,UA and approx. 300k on LH)

My answers to the "guiding" questions:
(1) What is your home airport? LCA, for now.
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? various Economy fares
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 35-65k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? A3 Gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Priority services, lounge access, good redemptions (incl. no high/excessive surcharges)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? A3/LH/OS/SN/LO, currently mostly within Europe.
(7) Preferred Airlines: any Star Alliance is OK
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? both, currently mostly for work.
(9) Can you chooose your airlines? Yes (work travel is all Economy)

Grateful for any help!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by nomad1974
1) Which airlines actually offer Lifetime Star Gold? (I can look up the requirements and limitations myself, grateful if you could point me in the right direction).
2) Is it worth starting from scratch to accumulate on such a programme (beyond my A3*G qualification requirements)? or
3) Should I just keep crediting to A3 (to build RDM) or to another Star porgramme where I already have a stash of miles? (approx. 150k each on A3,UA and approx. 300k on LH)
As a published benefit, I think only OZ does this. LH has a "SEN for life" program but it's not very well documented (there is a thread here on FT). If you can maintain A3 you could easily maintain OZ, but of course the gamble is that the OZ's program won't change over the next ~10 years.

I would maintain A3 as *G and stash the rest in a program where you can redeem the miles with minimal surcharges (i.e. UA or AC).

Also if I were you I'd start planning to get rid of those 300k on LH, since they don't last forever and it might take a while to spend all maximizing their volume (i.e. in premium cabins).
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by malmostoso
As a published benefit, I think only OZ does this. LH has a "SEN for life" program but it's not very well documented (there is a thread here on FT). If you can maintain A3 you could easily maintain OZ, but of course the gamble is that the OZ's program won't change over the next ~10 years.

I would maintain A3 as *G and stash the rest in a program where you can redeem the miles with minimal surcharges (i.e. UA or AC).

Also if I were you I'd start planning to get rid of those 300k on LH, since they don't last forever and it might take a while to spend all maximizing their volume (i.e. in premium cabins).
I forgot about the LH Lifetime but maybe my brain just deleted it for irrelevance: isn't it something like you have to be over 65y.o. and have been SEN for the past 10 consecutive years or something?

You are right of course about the bet. 10 years seems to be a long time in FFPs.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Not sure this would be the right place to ask ...

Are there any simple, straight, status matches within Star Alliance at this time?

There used to be TK, but now they do a challenge.
There used to be Amigo Brazil, but they don't send the card until you credit 5 flights.
There used to be Copa, many reports of needing to first fly with them/credit a flight with them before they would consider a match.

Is there any *A airline doing simple status matches from other alliances?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:40 am

(1) What is your home airport? SFO
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? J,W, Rarely Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? typically 25k-50k/>50k, However I can use a credit card's partnership to increase my miles)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Czech Airlines basic, but I am moving to star alliance.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge Access, Good award Redemption Rates and availability, Good Business/First Class, Cabin Upgrades (Optional, but preferred)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Transatlantic, US Domestic, However, sometimes also Transpacific, but mostly Transatlantic
(7) Preferred Airlines? Swiss, Lufthansa, (American) United
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
Mostly Pleasure (Business for Long-Haul Flights >5h) (Premium Economy for Medium-Haul 2-5h) (Economy for short-haul/domestic <2h)
Rarely Work (Business for most flights, Paid by Company if needed). I can choose my airlines.

Last edited by Adam Gawlowski; Jan 28, 2016 at 9:48 am
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:27 pm

Hi. I'm new to Star Alliance, but not new to SQ. I'm based in Singapore.
I realised it doesnt reward to remain faithful (to SQ) after googling Krisflyer vs Mileage Plus.

I have one question here.
- I have some Krisflyer miles. Can I sign up under United Airline Mileage Plus, and used those Krisflyer miles?

Thanks.

My answers to the "guiding" questions:
(1) What is your home airport? Singapore.
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Redemption of Economy class miles
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50-70k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Krisflyer Silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Cost; No high/excessive surcharge.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Singapore-Hong Kong. Planning to do a Singapore-Europe or Singapore-New York soon as I have around 200k miles to clear by 2017.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? both.
(9) Can you chooose your airlines? Yes (work travel is all Economy)

Last edited by chopra123; Jan 31, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chopra123
Hi. I'm new to Star Alliance, but not new to SQ. I'm based in Singapore.
I realised it doesnt reward to remain faithful (to SQ) after googling Krisflyer vs Mileage Plus.

I have one question here.
- I have some Krisflyer miles. Can I sign up under United Airline Mileage Plus, and used those Krisflyer miles?
Note sure what your question means.
You cannot move/transfer ff miles from one ffp(SQ) to another(UA)
You can sign up for UA and earn miles on SQ and other star alliance airline flights, if an eligible fare booking class.
At some you will need to use the SQ miles before they expire. They have a 3 year hard expiry (slight extension possible) Can be used for an award on a UA flight, if an award is available. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nt-expire.html
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:20 am

Ok, I'm currently at the crossroads and deciding whether i should go for and retain VA gold, or restart the hunt for a *G card having being recently downgraded from the lofty heights of A3*G.

Here are my answers to the questions:

(1) What is your home airport?
50% SIN and 50% HBA

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
J most of the time

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
Based on QF year, more than 50k

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
QF Plat, VA Gold & AZ Freccia Alata Plus

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Definitely lounge access and good burn rates. Top tier within a programme is a bonus. Interested in lifetime status but not a major priority now.

(6) Which routes do you fly most often?
Intra-Asia and Asia to Oceania Routes

(7) Preferred Airlines?
Currently QF, but if the *A hunt starts, then it will be 100% SQ for international and 50/50 QF and VA for domestic Australia.

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
More pleasure than work for now. CoS selection flexible. Have necessary mileage run blueprints to make it work.

For reference purposes, a standard return base mileage for me is 11234 before any CoS bonus. I normally fly 4-5 of those trips within a calendar year. Im currently not considering SQ for PPS as my spend will not make it possible.

Last edited by lowjhg; Feb 1, 2016 at 8:28 am
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:54 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I would be grateful for some advice to rethink my *A FFP strategy.
I am currently EBS (qualifications with segments) and used my Miles for last minute short haul award on SK metal. I use EB more for the miles than for status, although the EBS and *S benefits were useful to me a few times.

I got on EB 10 years ago when I was living in Norway. Moved to ABZ more than a year ago and kept EB as I do regular ABZ-SVG trips. I also use LH quite a bit. My main FFP is with BA (Silver, OWS) and will still probably be for long-haul flights plus flights to the UK.
I will move in a couple of weeks near FRA. I will still fly with SK a bit I guess (for trips to SVG) but I expect that my amount of flights with LH will increase as I shift my SH flying from BA to LH (week-end city breaks, trips to France to visit family, some work trips).

So my question is: should I stop using EB and start putting all my miles in another FFP ? LH M&M seems bad for me based on what I read (high surcharges on SH redemption, low mileage earning for SH cheap bucket fare). A status match to another *A using BA Silver ?
Or do I continue with EB ? The problem is that I qualify with segments and I forecast less SK segments and more LH ones (which do not count towards qualifications).

(1) What is your home airport? It will be FRA
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? usually cheap Economy fare for SH, for LH it is a mix of Y, Y+ and J
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Around 70k, currently 70% of that is on BA/OW.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? EBS, BA Silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
- As a main FFP: Priority services, Lounge access, Upgrade using Miles, Good redemption w/o surcharges
- Secondary FFP: Last minute SH redemption
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? SK to Norway, LH within rest of Europe, BA to UK. Also do 3-4 Longhaul trips a year (US, Asia).
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? both
(9) Can you chooose your airlines? Yes
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:36 am

Hi guys, have been lurking here for a little while and finally decided to ask for advice on a program.

Posted a similar question on information desk but think most of my flights would be on *A, so decided to ask here also.

I will be moving from Brazil to Vienna for the next 3 years, and plan to choose a new frequent flyer program (currently Gold with Brazilian GOL Smiles).

I thought that Austrian Miles & More, with a Diners Club or Austrian Mastercard would be the best option. But browsing the forums, I did not see even once MM been suggested as an good alternative recently for anyone that fly coach.

A good partnership with a credit card is important, as that is the main way that I got miles. I don't know if any program allows to get status this way nowadays, but that would be nice. (P.S.: I don't have any credit score in the US).

I would very much like yiur help to choose a FFP! Here are the points:

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
Probably good award redemption rates and access first and upgrades second

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
Less than 25,000, 12 flights or so.

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
Economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Travel for pleasure, almost exclusively, but usually choose the cheapest fare

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
I will be flying to new destination all the time, for leisure, but expect to fly a couple times to GIG in the next 3 years (Rio de Janeiro).

6. What is your home airport?
Vienna International Airport (VIE)

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
Gol Airlines Smiles - Gold status (accumulated some 20,000 flow miles and some 50,000 miles via credit card in the last 12 month); some random flights and miles in TAM Fidelidade.

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
I would be mostly be flying weekends on leisure with my wife, mostly to Europe, with a long vacation or two a year for a longer haul flight (have 30 days every year). Flying mostly economy, a few quick searches in google flights showed that I would probably be mostly flying Austrian.

Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 21, 2016, 6:35 pm

Edit: Deleted, NVM!

Last edited by putinbot; Feb 24, 2016 at 8:49 pm
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:59 am

Hello *A folks.

Normally I am a BA/OneWorld Flyer (as most business travel is to London and BA is the only direct flight from my home (Cape Town) to London.

*But*, because of BAs monopoly on the CPT-LHR route, costs are ridiculous, so I've started looking at alternative flight arrangements. I've found that I can regularly fly business on Emirates for the same (or cheaper!) than Premium Economy on BA.

So, my question: If I am flying regularly on EK from CPT-LON as well as flying regularly domestically in SA, am I better of signing up for the EK FF or SAA? Benefit of crediting my miles to SAA would be local lounge access, what would the benefits of allocating to Emirates directly instead?

For more background, the form questions:
(1) What is your home airport? (Cape Town)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (Premium Economy or Business)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (25k-50k (Earned ±50k avios last year)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (BA Silver)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, free lounge access)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (Cape Town-London and Domestic South Africa)
(7) Preferred Airlines (Emirates)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Both, most mileage is for business. Can chose to fly business if within budget).

Thanks in advance!

R
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by RichardAtCT
So, my question: If I am flying regularly on EK from CPT-LON as well as flying regularly domestically in SA, am I better of signing up for the EK FF or SAA? Benefit of crediting my miles to SAA would be local lounge access, what would the benefits of allocating to Emirates directly instead?
I think to have lounge access in SA you will need to have status with SA, but will you earn tier miles when flying EK? You need to clarify this point.

The same is valid for the reverse: if you choose EK you will be able to earn skyward miles on SA flights, but will you be able to earn tier miles there?

I am sure that the answer to these questions is already on FT, so you probably need to look a bit in the EK and SA sub-forums.

The main issue I see with crediting with SA is that they recently changes their redeeming tables and award flights are now ridiculously expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.