Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by goingbananas
(1) What is your home airport? LAS
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Refundable Domestic, Premium INTL
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Around 250K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Lifetime 1K (former GS) EXP
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Frequent upgrades on travel if I qualified, which seems doubtful, good award redemption rates Award redemption for 2
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: 20-25% domestic 75-80% intl based on # of trips..not dollars
(7) Preferred Airlines - UA - used to be across the board, now OW for INTL trips.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? 95% Work - I choose

Additional: Recovering GS at UA. Now Lifetime 1K. Have returned to EXP status after a break via mostly OW INTL trips. Is this still the best way to go? having both of them? or?

Many thanks....
The only other thing you could consider is LH HON status.
But, thats useful if you fly a lot of LH/LX...

Otherwise, I would keep it the same.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by snod08
The only other thing you could consider is LH HON status.
But, thats useful if you fly a lot of LH/LX...

Otherwise, I would keep it the same.
Thanks..I figured where I was at maybe the best. I forgot about LX crediting to HON. I like LX's C and F product, but really don't care for C on LH.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:49 pm

Thanks..I figured where I was at maybe the best. I forgot about LX crediting to HON. I like LX's C and F product, but really don't care for C on LH.
LH C is indeed awful.
I guess they do have a market..as they are in no hurry to improve their product in C. (i mean the seat).

LX C/F ..i have never flown them. However, seems to get great reviews ..and you have experience with that.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
(1) What is your home airport? LAS
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Refundable Domestic, Premium INTL
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Around 250K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Lifetime 1K (former GS) EXP
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Frequent upgrades on travel if I qualified, which seems doubtful, good award redemption rates Award redemption for 2
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: 20-25% domestic 75-80% intl based on # of trips..not dollars
(7) Preferred Airlines - UA - used to be across the board, now OW for INTL trips.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? 95% Work - I choose

Additional: Recovering GS at UA. Now Lifetime 1K. Have returned to EXP status after a break via mostly OW INTL trips. Is this still the best way to go? having both of them? or?

Many thanks....
HON is a good idea.

Another thing I'd suggest is US - they're trying to improve their (outdated) reputation, so they haven't screwed their elites quite as much as the competition. Also, their new Envoy Suites product is reportedly fantastic.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: SQTPP*G OZ LDMP*G QF LGold OW KE MC Sky E CI Emer Sky + IHG Spire Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Cybergeorge
(1) What is your home airport? PEN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? H
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 35K, this year possibly up to 60K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? M&M Silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
I have 100K+ miles on M&M and plan to use them for 2 special-offer-return-tickets FRA SIN for relatives of mine.
Personally, I would like to get to a point where I can do at least one-way upgrade SIN-SFO or SIN-FRA once a year. Also important is luggage allowance.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Transpacific, Asia, Asia-Europe
(7) Preferred Airlines? only SQ
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) work, I stay home for pleasure

Remark: What annoys me is that M&M silver is extremely useless with SQ (no 125% miles, zero miles on PEN SIN, no extra luggage allowance, no lounges in SIN, no early boarding, etc.). So now I thought of leaving the 100K+ miles in the M&M and start over new in Krisflyer.
Trade-off seems to be that Kris has lower silver status miles (and therefore earlier 125%), but awards are a lot more expensive than M&M.

So, should I stay or should I go?
Hi, you should take a look at Asiana Airlines, by only flying 35k miles a year will get you no where with SQ or M&M only * Silver status.

Asiana Club you do have to fly 40k miles before you get * Gold status and than 40k miles for every 24months to maintain *Gold status.

You would be able to use Biz check in, priority luggage and lounge + 1 guest. The downside is the miles burn ratio when you are trying to redeem award travels.
500k gets you lifetime *Gold

Hope my humble recommendation helps.. I was once SQGold.. they get treated the same as Asiana*Gold. SQ Gold / 50k a year..
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:46 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I suggest calling TG and asking them if something can be done about it - they might accept the 2k rupees from your personal credit card and reissue the ticket in Q. Not sure what their policy is, but it won't hurt to ask.

If that doesn't work out, then 9W is (sadly) your best bet it seems.

Also, is there any way that you can pay your company the fare difference and book in the more expensive fare class? Or could you hold off on booking until the day before?
For a fare of INR 15k , paying INR 2k personally to get an additional to get 2k miles is not worth it for me..
Company would not pay the fare difference since we need to book thru a corp agent website and can book fares shown there..
I tried to do a dummy booking giving the next day's flight and returning the folloing day and TG still showed the cheapest class and fare , so I guess this will also be a hit or miss..
Old Jan 27, 2012, 6:45 am

Hi,

I'm new to FT, but it seems like a gold mine of information! I'd really appreciate advice on which progamme would be best for us. I also wanted to ask whether it is worth joining BMI Diamond because they seem to allow you to have family miles? Usually when I travel it is with my partner, and I think it would take us some time to independently get enough miles to qualify for free flights. One more thing to add is that over the coming month I will be travelling the following route with my partner, mostly on Air New Zealand:

LHR-LAX-PPT-AKL(-WLG-CHC-ZQN-AKL)-HKG-LHR

I think that equates to quite a few miles, but as we have got some quite cheap seats I don't know whether it will actually add up to many air miles.

(1) What is your home airport? LHR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Cheapest economy airfare I can find.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Around 20,000.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? None.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access would be good, and longer mileage expiry.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Mostly within Europe.
(7) Preferred Airlines? None.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure

Thank you for your help!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by ojdyar
Hi,

I'm new to FT, but it seems like a gold mine of information! I'd really appreciate advice on which progamme would be best for us. I also wanted to ask whether it is worth joining BMI Diamond because they seem to allow you to have family miles? Usually when I travel it is with my partner, and I think it would take us some time to independently get enough miles to qualify for free flights. One more thing to add is that over the coming month I will be travelling the following route with my partner, mostly on Air New Zealand:

LHR-LAX-PPT-AKL(-WLG-CHC-ZQN-AKL)-HKG-LHR

I think that equates to quite a few miles, but as we have got some quite cheap seats I don't know whether it will actually add up to many air miles.

(1) What is your home airport? LHR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Cheapest economy airfare I can find.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? None.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access would be good, and longer mileage expiry.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Mostly within Europe.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure

Thank you for your help!
Welcome to FT! Enjoy the site and learn!

BMI Has been sold (if you already didnt know). I dont know the new rules yet..as it is leaving Star Alliance.

For 20K miles, Aegean Airlines is your only option.

For Air New Zealand, the cheapest fares do not earn any miles on any program, ...so, if you find the fare-class you booked, compare it with the earning classes on Aegeans website. Then compare with Air NZ website as well. Perhaps you might get some miles if you credit to Air NZ.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:38 am

Thanks for the speedy reply! I've had a look at those programmes, and it seems that our flights won't earn many miles at all with them. Would we still be eligible with any *A programme to earn segments or status points that aren't miles? Sorry if I'm completely wrong on the terminology here! With Air New Zealand we would earn about 400 status points for our travels over the coming month, which is just below the amount necessary for silver status.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by ojdyar
Thanks for the speedy reply! I've had a look at those programmes, and it seems that our flights won't earn many miles at all with them. Would we still be eligible with any *A programme to earn segments or status points that aren't miles? Sorry if I'm completely wrong on the terminology here! With Air New Zealand we would earn about 400 status points for our travels over the coming month, which is just below the amount necessary for silver status.
Whatever miles / points you earn in any Star program will depend on the fare class of the ticket you have purchased with Air NZ. I suggest you first find out your ticket fare class. Then compare it across programs such as Aegean, Turkish, Asiana (these are the three best programs for low mileage flyers).
Unfortunately, the cheapest fares earn either very little miles or none at all.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:32 pm

Question FF & MR assistance

1. SEA
2. Econ
3. <25K
4. Newbie
5. Upgrades
6. US Dom 2-3 x/yr
Trans ocean 1 x/yr
7. DL, VX, WN

I am wondering what the good and great CPM is goint at now. I have been doing some trial MRs and have been getting at or just above .03 CPM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Hello my Flyer talk friends

I was wondering if you could help me work out which Star Alliance to join. I have filled out the info that most people give, however my situation is a little different. As I live in Australia, Star Alliance is not possible for domestic travel so I am Qantas Gold. However, I am just about to embark on the following journHong ey in July.

What I am aiming for is to get enough points to get a ticket from brisbane to new zealand, even if its one way. The RTW journey has some 1 qantas flight from SYD to Hong Kong which obviusly won't get me Star Alliance points but the rest is:

Hong Kong to Zurich on Swiss
Geneva to New York on Swiss
JFK to Sydney on United ( one flight number 819 via SFO)

I also have two internal flights with Air Canada - Boston to Quebec City and Toronto to Chicago.

Standard Info:

(1) What is your home airport? Brisbane
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Cheapest economy or business airfare I can find.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? None for Star Alliance Qantas Gold Frequnt Flyer
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? For this its all about getting points, The Qantas Pub (oops Club!!!) keeps me very loyal to them
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Mostly within Australia.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both - allthouogh no FF points awarded for work travel

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks heaps
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, DL - Gold, Aegean - Gold
Used to be JK Gold - Now what?

(1) What is your home airport? MAD
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Around 100,000 but split across one world, star, sky team
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? Gold Iberia, Gold Spanair (worth nothing since they just went bust), Silver FlyingBlue
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, accumulating and redeeming miles
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? 4* year MAD-USA, 6* year MAD-GRU or CDG-GRU, 4*year MAD-SCL or MAD-EZE, 12* year MAD-LON or MAD-CDG, 12*year MAD-PMI
(7) Preferred Airlines? Iberia has lots of nonstops to Latin America from MAD but is expensive. TAM seems fine for Brazil
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both

Thanks for the advice!

Marcos
Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by MrPinrel
(1) What is your home airport? MAD
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Around 100,000 but split across one world, star, sky team
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? Gold Iberia, Gold Spanair (worth nothing since they just went bust), Silver FlyingBlue
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, accumulating and redeeming miles
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? 4* year MAD-USA, 6* year MAD-GRU or CDG-GRU, 4*year MAD-SCL or MAD-EZE, 12* year MAD-LON or MAD-CDG, 12*year MAD-PMI
(7) Preferred Airlines? Iberia has lots of nonstops to Latin America from MAD but is expensive. TAM seems fine for Brazil
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both

Thanks for the advice!

Marcos
it seems that you put in about 30-35K in Star Alliance per year? If you are splitting 100K between the three alliances.

Your best option for Star Gold is currently Aegean, Asiana or Turkish airlines.
They have the low thresholds for Star Gold requirement.

Lounge access through the system.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by rdaven2003
1. SEA
2. Econ
3. <25K
4. Newbie
5. Upgrades
6. US Dom 2-3 x/yr
Trans ocean 1 x/yr
7. DL, VX, WN

I am wondering what the good and great CPM is goint at now. I have been doing some trial MRs and have been getting at or just above .03 CPM.
<25K = Aegean for Star Gold.
You wont get free upgrades on other airlines.
For free domestic US upgrades, 25K miles per year is highly unlikely to get you anything in any US based airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.