Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
deleted.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by ginkoka
My home airport is Singapore, and I'm interested in transferring SPG pts to FF programs to redeem C or F tix from SIN to destinations in Europe or US. Which FF programs offer the best redemption rates?

Thanks in advance!
Generally US based programs offer the lowest taxes on mileage redemptions.

I have no idea about what programs SPG points can be transferred to.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, UA MP, SPG, Hyatt gold, Hilton,
Thank you for this thread! I have recently started a new job and will be traveling 2-3x/month, currently out of PDX and moving to bay area so could choose between those 3 airports. I am looking for feedback on which FF program to focus on

1. What is your home airport? PDX (sfo-oak-sjc w/in year)
2. What types of fares do you usually buy? Coach/economy
3. How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25k-50k, perhaps more than 50k
4. Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? AS MVP, UA Premiere, 30k expired miles on delta trying to get reinstated.
5. What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, Upgrades and FF benefits recognized by partner airlines, bonus mileage earning/good award redemption rates
6. Which routes do you fly most often? Us domestic- west coast or cross country. Currently PDX-sfo/oak; PDX-dca; PDX-dfw
7. Preferred Airlines? Alaska, delta (may change if miles aren't reinstated), qantas, SAS
8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Travel for both, can choose airline. Work class is economy, pleasure can be any class.

Willing to sign up for a CC to maximize mileage earning also. Am member of all major hotel chain programs and generally earn points for stays to use on vacations but swilling to reconsider. Thank you in advance!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:47 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dbpdx
Thank you for this thread! I have recently started a new job and will be traveling 2-3x/month, currently out of PDX and moving to bay area so could choose between those 3 airports. I am looking for feedback on which FF program to focus on

1. What is your home airport? PDX (sfo-oak-sjc w/in year)
2. What types of fares do you usually buy? Coach/economy
3. How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25k-50k, perhaps more than 50k
4. Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? AS MVP, UA Premiere, 30k expired miles on delta trying to get reinstated.
5. What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, Upgrades and FF benefits recognized by partner airlines, bonus mileage earning/good award redemption rates
6. Which routes do you fly most often? Us domestic- west coast or cross country. Currently PDX-sfo/oak; PDX-dca; PDX-dfw
7. Preferred Airlines? Alaska, delta (may change if miles aren't reinstated), qantas, SAS
8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Travel for both, can choose airline. Work class is economy, pleasure can be any class.

Willing to sign up for a CC to maximize mileage earning also. Am member of all major hotel chain programs and generally earn points for stays to use on vacations but swilling to reconsider. Thank you in advance!
US Airways or Aegean Airlines are your 2 choices in Star Alliance.

US Airways because it actually gives you a chance at upgrades with only 30-50k miles (with UA, you need to be flying 100k miles to even have a chance these days). Also, US' credit card is decent, and redemption is about the best out there.

Aegean Airlines will get you hassle-free *G. This means that you will get lounge access, but no upgrades (you might get emergency exits or bulkheads on United-Continental or US Airways, and even the occasional op-up to Business or First Class - I've had good luck with LH)
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: *G (OZ)
Should I give up my EBS *S and focus on the new CO/UA instead?

Hello dear flyers. I have been a mute follower of these forums and now it is my turn to ask for honest advice from the people who know better... I have a dilemma.

1. home: JFK-EWR-LGA
2. I mostly fly economy, sometimes flexible, and sometimes I have found good discounted business class on SAS.
3. In 2011 I flew just enough to get EBS *S on SAS
4. Current status: EBS
5. I realize that I don't fly that much, compared to *G people so I'm not asking for much. Priority check-in, priority boarding and priority seat selection are the little things that would make my travel nicer.
6. I earned my current status by flying EWR-CPH on SAS, but I also want to fly JFK-SFO and JFK-LAX this year.
7. Preferred Airlines? whatever works. I like SAS, I guess, but they don't fly in the US.
8) I fly for fun and fame. I'm an independent visual consultant (www.ideasarenothing.com) so my work is my passion and I sometimes travel with my passion...

Here's the dilemma: I was honestly proud when I got my EBS card last fall. I'm from Denmark but moved to New York last year. I have had a lot of requests for my work in Denmark, so I have been flying back a forth a good deal. After flying discounted economy for years and never earning any status with SAS I finally took a few more expensive flights and made it to Silver. Hurray!
Now it seems the demand for me to be in Denmark is fading and I find myself much more interested in going to LA and SFO to see friends, and/or to work/network.

Naive as I can be, I though EBS = *S would give me wonderful perks on other *A airlines like CO or UA, but it seems that the ONLY thing I get for my hard work is priority on waitlists and standby. Not even business class check-in or priority boarding...

So the question is: should I abandon my EBS since it doesn't give me anything right now anyway, and start a new? If so, what should I pick? I'm thinking the new CO/UA seems to have good reach from NYC and CO also have a direct flight back to Copenhagen (although with a smaller 757, compared to A330/340 on the SK909)

I'm appreciative of any advice.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:50 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mathiasvestergaard
Hello dear flyers. I have been a mute follower of these forums and now it is my turn to ask for honest advice from the people who know better... I have a dilemma.

1. home: JFK-EWR-LGA
2. I mostly fly economy, sometimes flexible, and sometimes I have found good discounted business class on SAS.
3. In 2011 I flew just enough to get EBS *S on SAS
4. Current status: EBS
5. I realize that I don't fly that much, compared to *G people so I'm not asking for much. Priority check-in, priority boarding and priority seat selection are the little things that would make my travel nicer.
6. I earned my current status by flying EWR-CPH on SAS, but I also want to fly JFK-SFO and JFK-LAX this year.
7. Preferred Airlines? whatever works. I like SAS, I guess, but they don't fly in the US.
8) I fly for fun and fame. I'm an independent visual consultant (www.ideasarenothing.com) so my work is my passion and I sometimes travel with my passion...

Here's the dilemma: I was honestly proud when I got my EBS card last fall. I'm from Denmark but moved to New York last year. I have had a lot of requests for my work in Denmark, so I have been flying back a forth a good deal. After flying discounted economy for years and never earning any status with SAS I finally took a few more expensive flights and made it to Silver. Hurray!
Now it seems the demand for me to be in Denmark is fading and I find myself much more interested in going to LA and SFO to see friends, and/or to work/network.

Naive as I can be, I though EBS = *S would give me wonderful perks on other *A airlines like CO or UA, but it seems that the ONLY thing I get for my hard work is priority on waitlists and standby. Not even business class check-in or priority boarding...

So the question is: should I abandon my EBS since it doesn't give me anything right now anyway, and start a new? If so, what should I pick? I'm thinking the new CO/UA seems to have good reach from NYC and CO also have a direct flight back to Copenhagen (although with a smaller 757, compared to A330/340 on the SK909)

I'm appreciative of any advice.
Since all you seem to want is easy *G, your choices are Aegean Airlines, Asiana Airlines, and Turkish Airlines. Take a look at them and make your pick.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:52 pm

Dear PVDtoTEL

Thank you for this extremely valuable advice. I would never have thought about it that way. But you are exactly right: I'd rather have consistent benefits across *A as a *G member than only having some advantages with one airline, since I can't maintain status two places right now.

I can't help but notice that you have chosen Aegean. May I inquire why? The biggest difference seems to be the 12 month vs. 24 month time-frame and that Aegan only give 50% points for discounted economy flights on Continental where as Asiana gives 100% miles even on discounted economy on Continental.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:58 pm

Dear PVDtoTEL

Thank you for this extremely valuable advice. I would never have thought about it that way. But you are exactly right: I'd rather have consistent benefits across *A as a *G member than only having some advantages with one airline, since I can't maintain status two places right now.

I can't help but notice that you have chosen Aegean. May I inquire why? The biggest difference seems to be the 12 month vs. 24 month time-frame and that Aegan only give 50% points for discounted economy flights on Continental where as Asiana gives 100% miles even on discounted economy on Continental.
on Aegean you only need 20K Status miles for Star Gold. They give you 1K miles for signing up. 19K miles to go after that..

Go get them!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:58 am

Dear PVDtoTEL

The reason I have A3 is because inertia... I found out about it before I found Asiana or Turkish, and after that, I didn't want to sacrifice the miles I already have.

Aegean, Asiana, and Turkish all have their own distinct advantages, but so far, I have been very happy with A3.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
The reason I have A3 is because inertia... I found out about it before I found Asiana or Turkish, and after that, I didn't want to sacrifice the miles I already have.

Aegean, Asiana, and Turkish all have their own distinct advantages, but so far, I have been very happy with A3.
How is flight redemption on A3? And do you think the easy *G justifies the cost in taxes/fees for A3 awards vs. awards on a US program?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by AirD0c
How is flight redemption on A3? And do you think the easy *G justifies the cost in taxes/fees for A3 awards vs. awards on a US program?
taxes/fees isn't bad actually.

They are just confusing. There was a redemption story on the A3 forum where the agent repriced the taxes/fees from everything between something like $500 and $30 if I remember correctly. It takes patience, but you can get what you want.

The award rates are decent too.

However, you simply cannot beat US Airways at redemptions, no matter where you go...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Ok, with further investigation there seems to be a small catch for my case in regards to Aegean. I am likely to JFK-SFO and JFK-LAX a few times this year but on Continental/United flights Aegean only give 50% miles on booking class S. Asiana and Turkish give 100%. So in my case I think I will be better off with Asiana. It will give me 24 month to make the same amount of east-coast-west-coast flying...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, FB Silver, BA Bronze
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and would very much appreciate some advice on *A FF programs.

(1) What is your home airport? MRS, AMS
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Discount economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? <25K, 20-30 flights
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? Flying Blue just about silver, M&M basic and BA Exec not off the ground
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Business check-in and boarding, award flights
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? MRS-AMS, MRS -> Europe
(7) Preferred Airlines: KL, LH
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both, for work have to take cheapest available flights

As you can see, I'm not exactly what you'd call a frequent flyer. However, next month I will exceptionally be flying LHR-AKL-CHC-DUD-WLG-AKL-LHR on Air NZ with the international flights in business, and from what I can tell this should be worth a bunch of miles! So my question is, should I just stick with M&M bearing in mind that I should definitely make silver but that gold is a far off dream, or should I go for another program where gold might just be feasible? And if so, with what program would I stand the best chance?

Secondly, I will be accompanied on this journey by my grandmother, who has absolutely no interest in FF programs or status, but it seems a great shame to let all these miles go to waste. Is there any program where you can donate miles or do something else useful with them?

Any advice would be most welcome

Last edited by ADW86; Jan 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by ADW86
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and would very much appreciate some advice on *A FF programs.

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? Flying Blue just about silver, M&M basic and BA Exec not off the ground
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Business check-in and boarding, award flights
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both, for work have to take cheapest available flights

As you can see, I'm not exactly what you'd call a frequent flyer. However, next month I will exceptionally be flying LHR-AKL-CHC-DUD-WLG-AKL-LHR on Air NZ with the international flights in business, and from what I can tell this should be worth a bunch of miles! So my question is, should I just stick with M&M bearing in mind that I should definitely make silver but that gold is a far off dream, or should I go for another program where gold might just be feasible? And if so, with what program would I stand the best chance?
A general rule of thumb for people with your yearly mileage is: A3, OZ, TK if you care more about Gold status, otherwise US, UA/CO for awards (no fuel surcharge). In my opinion, TK mileage expiration of 3 years sucks for not-so-frequent travelers. I think the general wisdom is that M&M is not good if you fly <100k. However, since you have some M&M miles and would qualify for Frequent Traveler this year, it might be a better option. On the other hand the benefits of M&M Frequent Traveler are not that great (and do not transfer outside of M&M partners). Maybe someone more familiar with M&M can help.

Secondly, I will be accompanied on this journey by my grandmother, who has absolutely no interest in FF programs or status, but it seems a great shame to let all these miles go to waste. Is there any program where you can donate miles or do something else useful with them?

LHR-AKL-CHC-DUD-WLG-AKL-LHR is almost 25000 miles. With some class bonus, she'll probably get more than 30000 miles depending on a program and operating airline. It is enough for an economy award flight in Europe or within US/Canada. In most programs, she can utilize the miles for an award ticket for someone else if she does not want to use it herself (miles are not transferable).
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by ADW86
Hi everyone,

That itinerary is enough to get you *G with Aegean Airlines Miles & Bonus. I suggest doing that, so you have *G for the next 3 years (3 year expiry)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.