FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:02 pm
mathiasvestergaard

Programs: *G (OZ)
Should I give up my EBS *S and focus on the new CO/UA instead?

Hello dear flyers. I have been a mute follower of these forums and now it is my turn to ask for honest advice from the people who know better... I have a dilemma.

1. home: JFK-EWR-LGA
2. I mostly fly economy, sometimes flexible, and sometimes I have found good discounted business class on SAS.
3. In 2011 I flew just enough to get EBS *S on SAS
4. Current status: EBS
5. I realize that I don't fly that much, compared to *G people so I'm not asking for much. Priority check-in, priority boarding and priority seat selection are the little things that would make my travel nicer.
6. I earned my current status by flying EWR-CPH on SAS, but I also want to fly JFK-SFO and JFK-LAX this year.
7. Preferred Airlines? whatever works. I like SAS, I guess, but they don't fly in the US.
8) I fly for fun and fame. I'm an independent visual consultant (www.ideasarenothing.com) so my work is my passion and I sometimes travel with my passion...

Here's the dilemma: I was honestly proud when I got my EBS card last fall. I'm from Denmark but moved to New York last year. I have had a lot of requests for my work in Denmark, so I have been flying back a forth a good deal. After flying discounted economy for years and never earning any status with SAS I finally took a few more expensive flights and made it to Silver. Hurray!
Now it seems the demand for me to be in Denmark is fading and I find myself much more interested in going to LA and SFO to see friends, and/or to work/network.

Naive as I can be, I though EBS = *S would give me wonderful perks on other *A airlines like CO or UA, but it seems that the ONLY thing I get for my hard work is priority on waitlists and standby. Not even business class check-in or priority boarding...

So the question is: should I abandon my EBS since it doesn't give me anything right now anyway, and start a new? If so, what should I pick? I'm thinking the new CO/UA seems to have good reach from NYC and CO also have a direct flight back to Copenhagen (although with a smaller 757, compared to A330/340 on the SK909)

I'm appreciative of any advice.