Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:24 pm

(1) Home airport? IND (ORD, STL, CVG); PVG
(2) Fares? Cheapest
(3) Distance miles: 140,000 miles
(4) I am a Diamond Medallion Delta
(5) I have AMEX business platinum and Chase Reserve VISA. I want 3 bags at 70lb each. Lounges are cool, but not important, Upgrades are nice.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: TPAC-USA
(7) none, but I only got Diamond, because I live in China.
(8) I travel on my own work. I pay for the ticket.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: AF Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, AC 25K, United MP Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
1) What is your home airport? YOW, sometimes YUL or YYZ
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Cheapest. But if work pays to Europe or Asia I will fly Premium Economy. Sometimes it's last minute ($) fares within Canada or to LAX.
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 45-60K
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? UA Gold (was reached up until this year as being non US based)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Priority boarding, lounge, preferred seating.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? YYZ, CDG, TXL, LAX, LHR, TPE.
(7) Preferred Airlines no preference
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? 80% pleasure, 20% work.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CorgisaurusKT Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by CorgisaurusKT
Long time reader, first time poster! Here are my details with more context at the end:
(1) What is your home airport? PHX
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Premium Economy or Economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? > 60,000 (an estimate, I'm not certain, but I did 32k just on American last year)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? BA Silver (which gives me OneWorld Sapphire), American Gold, and Delta Silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access but that may be because I haven't totally figured out how to maximize my upgrades/points
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Bulgaria (BA), India (BA), and Manila (American Partner (Cathay) or Delta). Also go to Europe, Latin America, and domestic travel.
(7) Preferred Airlines? None
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both, but mostly for work - one trip every 6-8 weeks or so, often in Premium Econ.

Last year, I hit both BA Silver and American Gold. This year, it's likely I'll only be able to keep one or the other. I don't have too many opportunities to fly Delta, so that's out I think. I have priority pass through my credit card but I really love AA/BA lounges and I often end up with long layovers. That being said, I have not figured out how to use upgrades well since my flights are often booked through a travel agent (so my fare class isn't always P or W). I have a flight coming up on AA/Cathay from PHX to MNL and I'm wondering if I should use my BA or AA FF. Any advice on which program is better for me?
You have asked in the Star Alliance "which ffp" thread.
We have a similar "which ffp" Oneworld thread. AA & BA are in OW.
AA vs BA is a common question. Look in post 2 (bottom) for links
Oneworld:- Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here

For mid level status would be better to stick to one ffp
Upgrades with ff miles on other than the airline of your ffp, are harder/impossible. When cross airline upgrades are possible subject to t&c's
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: Air NZ, UA
Looking for FF options from United Platinum

Hi Team,

(1) What is your home airport? SYD - Sydney
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Currently P,A
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? >50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? UA Platinum
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Award Redemption, Lounge/travel perks
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) Total Mix, RTW +
(7) Preferred Airlines Singapore/Thai/Lufthansa/Air NZ/United
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both, but I choose class of service

I am currently a Platinum United FF (Non USA) based in Australia having switched from Air NZ a couple of years ago and I am about to do some decent flying but am having negative feelings about the new United FF Qualifications due to the revenue component. So I am trying to find if there is a better FF (Star Alliance) scheme that would work based on the following already booked Trip.

SYD - BKK (Z) ThaiBKK - FRA (P) Lufthansa
FRA - SVQ (P) Lufthansa
SVQ - ZRH (P) Swiss
ZRH - AMS (P) Swiss
AMS - OSL (A) SAS
OSL - HEL (A) SAS
HEL - MUC (P) Lufthansa
MUC - KBP (P) Lufthansa
KBP - ZRH (P) Swiss
ZRH - WAW (F) LOT
WAW - ZAG (F) LOT
ZAG - WAW (F) LOT
WAW - MUC (P) Lufthansa
MUC - CLT (P) Lufthansa
RIC - ORD (P) United
ORD - MSP (P) United
MSP - IAH (D) United
IAH - GDL (D) United
GDL - IAH (P) United
IAH - LAX (P) United
LAX - SYD (P) United

I was looking at Asiana but they don't count the (P) class Lufthansa flights so that doesn't work well. Lufthansa seem to be very restrictive with their new system, and was considering SAS. But looking for guidance.

Regards & Thanks

Geoff
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:44 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by GM G
Hi Team,

(1) What is your home airport? SYD - Sydney
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Currently P,A
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? UA Platinum
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Award Redemption, Lounge/travel perks
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) Total Mix, RTW +
(7) Preferred Airlines Singapore/Thai/Lufthansa/Air NZ/United
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both, but I choose class of service

I am currently a Platinum United FF (Non USA) based in Australia having switched from Air NZ a couple of years ago and I am about to do some decent flying but am having negative feelings about the new United FF Qualifications due to the revenue component. So I am trying to find if there is a better FF (Star Alliance) scheme that would work based on the following already booked Trip.

SYD - BKK (Z) ThaiBKK - FRA (P) Lufthansa
FRA - SVQ (P) Lufthansa
SVQ - ZRH (P) Swiss
ZRH - AMS (P) Swiss
AMS - OSL (A) SAS
OSL - HEL (A) SAS
HEL - MUC (P) Lufthansa
MUC - KBP (P) Lufthansa
KBP - ZRH (P) Swiss
ZRH - WAW (F) LOT
WAW - ZAG (F) LOT
ZAG - WAW (F) LOT
WAW - MUC (P) Lufthansa
MUC - CLT (P) Lufthansa
RIC - ORD (P) United
ORD - MSP (P) United
MSP - IAH (D) United
IAH - GDL (D) United
GDL - IAH (P) United
IAH - LAX (P) United
LAX - SYD (P) United

I was looking at Asiana but they don't count the (P) class Lufthansa flights so that doesn't work well. Lufthansa seem to be very restrictive with their new system, and was considering SAS. But looking for guidance.

Regards & Thanks

Geoff
Before I even read your last line I looked at that and thought SK. The problem is the LH P classes as you recognise - they don't credit on a lot of airlines (UA is actually one of the best ones for coping with this).

You could also look at SQ - they credit LH P at 125%. I can't see you having any problems qualifying based on your travel patterns.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Air India Maharaja Club, Lufthansa FT, Jet Airways Platinum, Hilton Gold
Got Issues with UA account - Please advice.

(1) What is your home airport? BOM
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? International J / Domestic (India) Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 75k - 125k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier - Account In Audit)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good Redemptions with Low taxes
(6) Which routes do you fly most often - Between Asia and Europe
(7) Preferred Airlines - LH/LX/UA/AI
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work - International J, India Y
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:59 am

Hi all,

New to the forum and trying to decide
(1) What is your home airport? FRA - Frankfurt [though also HAJ/HAM/DUS/BER, basically anywhere in Germany outside of MUC)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Mostly cheapest for leisure, otherwise Y/B/M/H high class stuff for work
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? No status
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Award Redemption [big gap] Lounge Access, Upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) US-Europe 2-3x yearly for pleasure (FRA-BOS), 3-4x for work, FRA-PEK 3-4x for work then leisure intra-Europe for holiday
(7) Preferred Airlines LH/UA
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both, about evenly distributed

I'm a US citizen living in Germany, and I'm curious whether there's a benefit to, say, getting the UA Credit Card in the US before I leave for Germany in order to maximize redemptions. My goal is for premium cabin redemptions (or upgrades from economy) to accumulate as quickly as possible. I find lounge access and upgrades to be a "nice to have" but not as important as the redemption.

I *think* it's between MileagePlus and Miles&More but would like to hear between the two which way I should go, and if there are any dark horses I should consider.

Last edited by Savignyplatz; Jan 16, 2020 at 10:08 am
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:35 pm

Help! Need to choose a *A FF program for 2020

(1) What is your home airport? IAD / BWI or NYC (all)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25k-50k*
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? M&M Silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, good award redemption, priority services
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? In the next six months - US-Europe (6-7x); US-Asia (2x); US-South America (2x), plus US-Canada
(7) Preferred Airlines: Swiss, Lufthansa, United
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) Travel for work; can choose airline but not class of service

About to sharply increase my intercontinental travel within the next 6 months. I'm currently Silver on Lufthansa's Miles & More program, but would like to find a program that will get me better status or (closer) to *Gold.
Based on this pattern, does it make sense to stick with M&M or to switch programs (and if so, which programs do you recommend?)

Originally Posted by Btmline1
(1) What is your home airport? IAD / BWI
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25k-50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? M&M Silver
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access, good award redemption, priority services
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? US-Europe (2-3x/year); US-Asia (1-2x year); some travel to South America and Africa
(7) Preferred Airlines: Swiss, Lufthansa
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) Travel for work; can choose airline but not class of service

I am new to FF schemes - previously, flew several different alliances, but primarily *Alliance. Formerly based in Europe, currently out of the US. This year, started banking miles with Lufthansa Miles&More and just hit 35k miles/Frequent Traveller status (* Alliance Silver) within last six months of travel. I'll be traveling roundtrip JFK-NRT in December, and that's it for this calendar year.
Once I got Silver, I started investigating and it seemed like MileagePlus would be a better option to qualify for * Alliance Gold, but with the changes announced this week - would MileagePlus, Aegean, Turkish or Asiana be the better option?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:04 am

Advice on program change

Hi guys,

I am a TAP frequent flyer program member for a while and while it’s fairly good to earn and renew status, it’s not so good in benefits (upgrades with vouchers our complementary upgrades as and example), so I wanted to change to a program that gives good benefits balanced with a reasonable status achievement threshold.

Regarding the questions:

(1) What is your home airport? LIS - Lisbon
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? I travel for work so within Europe I travel economy, normally a non-discounted rate and internationally I do 2 economy a year and then after that I fly business
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25-50k, >50k) >50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc) Gold with TAP Miles & More for the next 1 and half year
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.) By priority: 1-Upgrades on travel, 2-priority services and lounge access, 3 - award redemption rates
(6) Which routes do you fly most often - 30% European, 70% internationally
(7) Preferred Airlines - Star Alliance, looking back in the last two years I flew a lot with Lufthansa and then a mix of United. TAP
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) Work. I can choose based on policies. See above answer 2

thanks in advance,
Ricardo
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I started a new thread asking about my situation but then I realized there is already a sticky thread for this. So apologies to the mods... feel free to delete or merge my thread.

(1) What is your home airport? LAX
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy? Int'l C / transcon C / domestic Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? right around 50k but potentially more in 2020
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? AA Plat
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? priority services when flying the airline > good award redemption rates > lounge access > free upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? LAX-ZRH
(7) Preferred Airlines? AA/BA (previous work travel focused on JFK, MIA, and LHR)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mainly for work... LAX-ZRH is mostly restricted to LX but I have choice of airlines on other itinerary. Personal travel has been mostly on AA/OW due to status.

Other consideration: Have a chunk of existing DL and AS miles accumulated over the years from occasional SkyTeam Europe and VX/AS short haul West Coast flights. UA account has only about 10k miles from a single trip on TK last year. Have never been a big UA flyer... only ~45k lifetime miles most of it accumulated on other Star airlines (SQ, BR, TK etc).

Typically redeem miles for int'l C ticket.

Issue: New work travel to ZRH is LX-centric and may not have enough UA segments to earn elite status. Looking for alternative Star program to credit.

Last edited by bzcat; Jan 19, 2020 at 10:20 pm
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:15 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I'm Gold with United and like many of us, want to stay with Star Alliance and switch to another airline:
1) What is your home airport? BOM (mostly) and PHX (second most frequent)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy with varying fare classes
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Around 50k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? UA Premier Gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access and upgrades
(6) Which routes do you fly most often Between US, India and Europe
(7) Preferred Airlines - I've been loyal to United for years but it's time to be disloyal. I like Turkish, Ethiopian was nice
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? I travel economy for a mix of business and pleasure.
Thinking of switching to Asiana or Turkish.
Thanks for your insights.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC E, UA 1K
(1) What is your home airport? LAX
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? UA 1K
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades, access to premium economy seats, free checked bags, lounge access, ease of booking (and canceling) award travel
(6) Which routes do you fly most often 50-50 Domestic US and international
(7) Preferred Airlines UA, LH, AC (Haven't experienced much outside *A network)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mostly for work, and yes I can choose my carrier

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:32 am

Need advice on which ffp to sign up for please

(1) What is your home airport? YYZ
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? biz class for YYZ-BNE once a year (or twice a year) through LAX and economy flights within Canada and to US a couple times a year
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25k-50k?
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Silver with DL's Skymiles
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? free lounge access, ease of redemption and good redemption rates
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) YYZ-BNE once or twice a year biz class, rest of travel usually within Canada or to US (Vegas once a year, NYC once a year)
(7) Preferred Airlines Virgin Australia is amazing!! I don't think I can fly another airline for my annual trips to BNE
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? pleasure

Also this year I am treating my mom to biz class seats for a trip to Europe for her 60th birthday. YYZ-FCO. She never travels and this is a trip of a lifetime for her.

I have about 150k with aeroplan and i have something in an air miles account. i also have a TD First Class Travel cc and a TD Aeroplan cc.

I hate Air Canada and will never fly it to go to AUS. My partner tried it several times and each and every time luggage was damaged so badly it had to be replaced. And customer service is awful.

I looked at Aegean, Turkish, and Asiana. I'm not sure given my flying patterns that any of them are the right choice for me. Also read that redemptions are not so straight-forward. I also read somewhere on here that a foreign ffp is sometimes a better idea for lounge access. I had a Priority Pass for a couple years. It's okay but the lounges get crowded pretty quickly and the food can be hit or miss.

I know alot of people were fans of the UA ffp but with the changes that just came in, not sure if I should consider that one or not. I don't think they have a Cdn cc either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingcpa
(1) What is your home airport? YYZ
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? biz class for YYZ-BNE once a year (or twice a year) through LAX and economy flights within Canada and to US a couple times a year
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25k-50k?
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Silver with DL's Skymiles
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? free lounge access, ease of redemption and good redemption rates
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) YYZ-BNE once or twice a year biz class, rest of travel usually within Canada or to US (Vegas once a year, NYC once a year)
(7) Preferred Airlines Virgin Australia is amazing!! I don't think I can fly another airline for my annual trips to BNE
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? pleasure

Also this year I am treating my mom to biz class seats for a trip to Europe for her 60th birthday. YYZ-FCO. She never travels and this is a trip of a lifetime for her.

I have about 150k with aeroplan and i have something in an air miles account. i also have a TD First Class Travel cc and a TD Aeroplan cc.

I hate Air Canada and will never fly it to go to AUS. My partner tried it several times and each and every time luggage was damaged so badly it had to be replaced. And customer service is awful.

I looked at Aegean, Turkish, and Asiana. I'm not sure given my flying patterns that any of them are the right choice for me. Also read that redemptions are not so straight-forward. I also read somewhere on here that a foreign ffp is sometimes a better idea for lounge access. I had a Priority Pass for a couple years. It's okay but the lounges get crowded pretty quickly and the food can be hit or miss.

I know alot of people were fans of the UA ffp but with the changes that just came in, not sure if I should consider that one or not. I don't think they have a Cdn cc either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
What is wrong with DL / Skyteam ? Or Aeroplan ffp? [The airline and frequent flyer program are not one and the same]
On Skyteam AF/KLM, DL and others in Star Alliance will get you to EU. Get anywhere closish to Italy and then a train or other airline. EU is small compared to Canada & Australia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toront...tional_Airport

With only a few flights per year you will not earn many ff miles with any ffp. Can you get some ff miles from cc spend?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 5, 2020 at 9:26 pm
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:41 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with those ffp's. Just trying to figure out if given the flights I'll have whether I'd be able to get *G status with an ffp this year.
Mom's trip of a lifetime includes a cruise so we don't want to land some where near FCO and then have to schlep our luggage onto a train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.