Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 Spain

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Good. I hope you make it!
Old May 7, 2020, 8:45 am

any updates on chicago to Madrid via Iberia? I'm supposed to leave in Mid June and be there for about a week. My flight has not showed a cancellation yet. I was supposed to go to a wedding there which has since been cancelled. I paid with points so not sure how this will turn out. I'd rather get a refund of my points and paid taxes/fees regardless. Im thinking it will be easier to get complete refund if they cancel the flights so I'm currently waiting.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Docta
any updates on chicago to Madrid via Iberia? I'm supposed to leave in Mid June and be there for about a week. My flight has not showed a cancellation yet. I was supposed to go to a wedding there which has since been cancelled. I paid with points so not sure how this will turn out. I'd rather get a refund of my points and paid taxes/fees regardless. Im thinking it will be easier to get complete refund if they cancel the flights so I'm currently waiting.
Yes, I would wait for the cancellation. You have nothing to lose by waiting, especially as you paid with points.
If you can fly (=unlikely), you would be able to do tourism within Madrid region - June is an excellent time to visit weather wise and prices will be cheap.
Old May 7, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Except he might not be able to do so because he is coming from the US, and while the numbers at this point are starting to go down in Spain and some areas are starting to slowly open (and will only be midway thru their opening by mid June), C19 is right now epidemic in the US and I don't see that changing in the eyes of European authorities in less than a month, their numbers are too high for allowing Americans to enter Europe and have a second wave.

While some flying has resumed (actually AA announced today its resuming DFW-MAD since tomorrow or today), these flights are basically commercial repatriation flights or for movement of special workers. There are heavy restrictions on who can enter Spain and the EU. Right now, you can only do it being a Schengen national or under exceptional circumstances (diplomat, medic, vital industries).

I would just wait for the cancelation to come. Also: bear in mind, Iberia is trying to do the travel voucher route. However, you are entitled to your money back. If they do not give it, I would try disputing the flight with your credit card company and get the money back.
LapLap likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by MfromL
Except he might not be able to do so because he is coming from the US, and while the numbers at this point are starting to go down in Spain and some areas are starting to slowly open (and will only be midway thru their opening by mid June), C19 is right now epidemic in the US and I don't see that changing in the eyes of European authorities in less than a month, their numbers are too high for allowing Americans to enter Europe and have a second wave.

While some flying has resumed (actually AA announced today its resuming DFW-MAD since tomorrow or today), these flights are basically commercial repatriation flights or for movement of special workers. There are heavy restrictions on who can enter Spain and the EU. Right now, you can only do it being a Schengen national or under exceptional circumstances (diplomat, medic, vital industries).

I would just wait for the cancelation to come. Also: bear in mind, Iberia is trying to do the travel voucher route. However, you are entitled to your money back. If they do not give it, I would try disputing the flight with your credit card company and get the money back.
Yeah, we know all that... we have seen the headlines

Yes, we will have to wait to see what happens on EU level flight restrictions. Keep in mind that Spain will be keen to reactivate tourism and many regions are already pushing to get the tourism machine running again. Nothing is impossible.

He paid with points so he has nothing to lose by waiting. Nobody can say with any certainty what's going to be possible or not possible in one month's time.
Old May 11, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
Well my wife is on AA 37 from MAD-DFW today. She says flight is very empty.
Also no hassles taking Renfe Ave from Malaga to Madrid yesterday and walked to hotel then took Uber to Barajas.
Never stopped once, other than Immigration at Barajas and with her US passport and residency card no problem.
Old May 12, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Spain just declared a 14-day quarantine for all passengers arriving from outside the country. Although there is some discripancy among Spanish news outlets' reports, it appears that this applies to Spanish citizens as well as all foreigners.
Old May 12, 2020, 10:15 am

Yes, it applies to any citizen entering (except diplomats, military and doctors). The decree also maintains the borders closed to anyone that is not a Spanish citizen, holder of a residency permit or Schengen national in transit to their country of residency (or diplomats, military and doctors).
Old May 12, 2020, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, it applies to any citizen entering (except diplomats, military and doctors). The decree also maintains the borders closed to anyone that is not a Spanish citizen, holder of a residency permit or Schengen national in transit to their country of residency (or diplomats, military and doctors).
Is the UK considered Schengen for this purpose? I'm asking since routing through MAD given the BA/IB JV/partnership would seem natural for British passport holders, especially BA/AA elites of course since this is FT.
Old May 12, 2020, 2:32 pm

This particular decree does not say anything specific, just adds the requisite of the quarantine. It builds up on a series of previous limitations established by other ministerial decrees produced in the last 2 months.

According to the first decree that limits movement —a text that has been regularly extended— the limitation does not apply to: nationals and legal residents of the European Union or national and residents of associated states and Andorra if they are transiting. This is were it gets tricky because, while the UK is no longer part of the EU, UK citizens keep enjoying free movement in light of the transitional agreement reached between the EU and Boris that will expire later this year.

So they should be able to transit. But only transit, not entering the country. The language is quite specific. It says, roughly:

All nationals of a third country will be negated entry into Spain, due to motives of public order or public health, unless they fall within one of the following categories:

a. Residents of the European Union, their spouses or civil partners, if they are transiting to their place of residency.
b. Holders of a long-stay Schengen visa from a member or associated state, transiting to such country.
c. Cross-border workers
d. Health professionals
e. Individuals who work in transportation of goods
f. Active diplomatic or consular staff, members of NGO, of the military or of humanitatian associations.
g. People traveling for reasons of force majeure (family related)
Later it adds:

The entry to Spain will be denied, on the basis of public order or public health, to citizens of the European Union and their family members, if they do not fall within one of the following categories:

a. They are registered as residents in Spain or are in transit to their habitual residence place in another member or associated state or Andorra
So basically, if you are EU, UK, Andorra, yes to transit using the airport, but you will not enter Spain. However, if you are a Spanish resident or national you will be allowed to enter Spain.

And this is where the quarantine decree of today enters in effect: all people entering must quarantine. But the previous decrees establish that only Spanish residents and nationals are allowed in.

Also allowed by this last decree are: cross-border workers, people that transport merchandise, airline and boat crew, and doctors. All of them do not need to quarantine. However, if someone that they have had contact with is detected to be sick they will be forced to do so (think about airline purser in contact with sick traveller, or a Moroccan agricultural worker who has been in contact with a sick co-worker).
Old May 13, 2020, 4:24 am

The ammendment is provisional but the upshot is that from this Friday until further notice, Spanish citizens or residents will have to self-isolate for 14 days on their return to Spain.

The decree puts an onus on airlines and travel agents to inform pax buying tickets to Spain of any implications for them - so the airlines will have to provide clarity for any preexisting pax worried about transit, etc.

Once we hear more detail from the European Commission about how the travel policies will operate at EU level, the 14 days rule will potentially not apply to pax coming from (a subset of) Schengen countries + UK and Ireland because EU countries including tourist-dependent Spain need to reactivate the tourism machine this summer. We will be hearing more about this later today. It will be interesting to see what is decided and how it affects the decree.

https://www.preferente.com/noticias-...na-300112.html
Old May 15, 2020, 7:50 am

Just an update, the Spanish government has extended the decree that limits who can enter until June 15th. So no tourists, at least, until then.
LapLap likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just an update, the Spanish government has extended the decree that limits who can enter until June 15th. So no tourists, at least, until then.
Italy have announced similar plans until June 3rd
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52687448
Spain will be following what happens after this in Italy very, very closely.
Old May 16, 2020, 7:58 am

Yeah, but I don't see extra-European tourism coming back until August to the least, and less from the US, until other countries have a controlled situation. The new schedule for Madrid points to, at the least, a complete deconfinement by late June now.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:51 am

As we know, the trend is towards "safe corridors" now - countries want to receive tourists from other countries known to be taking the virus seriously.

Today Spain recorded 102 deaths, which is the lowest number in two months. Certainly this is reason to hope there is the opportunity to have a tourist season this year. But not everyone will be invited to the party.

I think the government's intention is reduce the death numbers down to a trickle before June 15, so Spain can market itself as a Covid-Safe destination in time for the peak months of July and August when the tourist industry will be hoping for planeloads of arrivals from countries like South Korea, Austria, Denmark and Germany.

UK is also a big target market if they can get their situation under control by then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.