FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Source: @jburnmurdoch at the Financial Times

Accumulated number of patients treated in ICUs

Last edited by LapLap; Mar 30, 2020 at 5:09 pm
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As other countries are currently building their own large “field hospitals” to deal with the unprecedented surge in hospital admissions, it’s worth noting the experience of the first to be put in use in Spain.

Health workers and unions at Madrid’s Ifema field hospital: “It’s a disaster”

“The convention center in the Spanish capital was meant to help ease the strain of the coronavirus crisis, but staff complain it is overcrowded and poorly managed”
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
Here it is, translated independently.
https://www.theleader.info/2020/03/2...h-emergencies/
The body language being given off during this message was also sobering and cautious. That Mr Simn was running a fever and had already succumbed to Covid-19 as he delivered it isnt much of a surprise.
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020...-official.html
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This article discusses a message by the WHO’s Michael Ryan (the message itself can be viewed in the original English)
https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-03-...-epidemia.html

The point he directed at Italy and Spain is the following:

”Officials are hopeful that some of the countries hit hardest, particularly Spain and Italy, are nearly to the point of stabilizing. But even after that there is much to do.
The question is, how do you go down? And going down isn’t just about a lockdown and let go. To get down from the numbers, not just stabilize, requires a redoubling of public health efforts to push down.”

Espaa registra 849 muertos ms con coronavirus y vuelve a alcanzar el mximo diario
Spain registers 849 more deaths attributable to Covid-19, another daily record.
https://elpais.com/Comentario/158564...a5dddb9?gla=es

I am proud (and hopeful) of what Spain has achieved, but I don’t see that the worst is all behind us just yet. As the WHO has made very clear, there is another big push to come.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
The body language being given off during this message was also sobering and cautious. That Mr Simn was running a fever and had already succumbed to Covid-19 as he delivered it isnt much of a surprise.
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020...-official.html
Pure speculation that he was running a fever as he delivered the presser. Dr. Simon was previously tested on March 21 and it showed negative. But it's not surprising he came down with Covid-19 as anyone who is having sustained human contact is at risk. Any number of top officials in different countries have been hit by the virus.
https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-03-...ronavirus.html
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Pure speculation that he was running a fever as he delivered the presser. Dr. Simon was previously tested on March 21 and it showed negative. But it's not surprising he came down with Covid-19 as anyone who is having sustained human contact is at risk. Any number of top officials in different countries have been hit by the virus.
https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-03-...ronavirus.html
Your quote says:
Simn present la pasada noche varios sntomas compatibles con la Covid-19, especialmente “un pico de fiebre”, ha dicho Sierra, pero “est muy bien”

Last night Mr Simn presented with symptoms compatible with Covid-19, in particular; that of a “fever peak”, but “he is doing well” according to Sierra.

So hardly “pure speculation”. Unless you were seeing this contradicted elsewhere. If so, you are welcome to share that information.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:58 am

Your quote says:
Simn present la pasada noche varios sntomas compatibles con la Covid-19, especialmente un pico de fiebre, ha dicho Sierra, pero est muy bien

Last night Mr Simn presented with symptoms compatible with Covid-19, in particular; that of a fever peak, but he is doing well according to Sierra.

So hardly pure speculation. Unless you were seeing this contradicted elsewhere. If so, you are welcome to share that information.
The press conference was in the early afternoon. Not in the night.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
The press conference was in the early afternoon. Not in the night.
So you are saying that is unreasonable to think that someone with a fever peak (as well as a host of other symptoms) in the evening would have been running a temperature in the afternoon.

Esto se est poniendo pesado.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:13 am

So you are saying that is unreasonable to think that someone with a fever peak (as well as a host of other symptoms) in the evening would have been running a temperature in the afternoon.

Esto se est poniendo pesado.
Who knows? Speculation is not helpful in the situation we are living through here in Spain. Night and evening are two different things here in Spain. It's not fair to imply that Dr Simon would have knowingly took part in the presser while running a fever.

And please, any snide comments make them in English so all the readers can understand!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sure. This is getting tedious. I have no problem repeating this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:51 am

Moving on...The Spanish airport authority has posted updated Covid-19 operational information here; very relevant to anyone who may be flying out of Spain in the coming days.
Up-to-date information on Aena Airports due to the COVID-19 health crisis - Aena Informa
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Within the past 24-48 hours, more and more hospitals are starting to see a de-escalation in the number of Covid-19 related admissions.
The death toll is still rising but the number of patients with severe symptoms requiring ICUs is easing in a way that Health Staff can meaningfully notice.
People are still holding their breath though. There is a long slog yet to come.

Article in English:
https://english.elpais.com/society/2...hospitals.html
MorganB likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Whilst I was appalled and upset by the news of old people’s homes left desperately understaffed and the awful consequences of Covid-19 on the vulnerable in such tight nit communities, this next article describes how two Catalan residences began putting in measures in late February to combat this lethal threat.
There will be others around Spain where understanding of what was coming and the capacity of management and diligence and dedication of staff to their duties have also saved their charges, but this is a story we won’t be hearing too much of.
Nevertheless, this is a formidable task, that takes immense willpower and a lot of discomfort and drudge work - with a lot of the upsides of the job (there is usually a LOT of friendly contact, hugs, kisses, hand squeezing, between staff and the residents) completely eroded away. So to foresake these joys to concentrate on maintaining life and ramping up the sanitary duties is draining, and has to be done day in, day out, every night, without respite. And no room whatsoever for mess ups. And the staff’s family lives are also horribly affected.
Anyway, that’s my insight (both my grandmother and her sister decided to retire-retire to a residencia run by nuns which was scrupulously clean at the best of times and the staff were beyond dedicated, yet this in itself would not have been enough, so I understand that the measures described in the article would have been gruelling to implement and maintain).
https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-04-...la-puerta.html (In Spanish)

Anyway, they aren’t the kind of heroes you’ll hear much about, but my goodness, do I applaud them with all my heart. To those in the article, to those elsewhere in Spain, and to all those who diligently continue their vocations throughout the world ❤️❤️❤️🙏❤️❤️❤️

EDIT TO ADD:
This article was just published 5 minutes ago
https://elpais.com/espana/catalunya/...sidencias.html
It describes how Barcelona’s Mayor is raising the fact that the “Town Hall’s” (Ayuntamiento’s) Data on old people’s residences and care homes does not match that of the Catalonia “Genaralitat”. Whilst’s the Generalitat’s figures initially had 30% of homes affected, then revised to 50%, the Ayuntamiento makes it to be closer to 70% (a figure I personally wouldn’t doubt - for the reasons just described ⬆️).
They are demanding IMMEDIATELY an impact plan to combat this terrible situation.

I’ll note here that various old people’s homes in Madrid were put under the direction of the Madrid Authorities as an emergency measure. The situation there is also very grim, this is why I’m so impressed with the heroic efforts of staff in care homes that are managing to get their residents through this.

Last edited by LapLap; Apr 5, 2020 at 3:34 am
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Any idea of the impact of COVID-19 in Galicia? We are planning to spend a week in the region in mid-August, but don't have anything booked outside of a flight into SCQ and a departure back to the US from OPO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.