Covid-19 Spain

Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
No official announcement has been made yet by the EU, but the NYT reports the US will be, with Brazil and Russia, among the countries whose nationals won't be allowed to enter the Schengen area when the travel ban is partially lifter on July 1. The report says nationals from 47 to 52 countries, not named except China, Vietnam, Cuba and Uganda, will be allowed after this date.

So that much for guiris this year in Madrid. (I know, brits are also guiris, but I meant gun-toting redneck guiris)
Old Jun 28, 2020, 2:13 am

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
The borders in Spain are opening for tourism on June 22 to all Schengen countries. This means you can fly from AMS to MAD on your Dutch passport, no problem.
I am not sure what kind of controls you may face when you land at Schiphol, but presumably your Dutch citizenship allows you free entry.
An update: AA had me fill out a NL health form in DFW that no one asked for In AMS. The form was a joke because it said in big letters that if you answered yes to any of the health questions that you couldn't board the plane. Upon arrival, I simply presented my NL passport and was told welcome home. The following day on my completely full KL flight, we all filled out Spanish health locator forms that were collected upon departure from the baggage area at MAD. No one looked at the forms and the ladies collecting them were supposed to do temp. checks but didn't. They seemed to be bored with the whole affair.
HalconBCN likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 6:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by lovenola
An update: AA had me fill out a NL health form in DFW that no one asked for In AMS. The form was a joke because it said in big letters that if you answered yes to any of the health questions that you couldn't board the plane. Upon arrival, I simply presented my NL passport and was told welcome home. The following day on my completely full KL flight, we all filled out Spanish health locator forms that were collected upon departure from the baggage area at MAD. No one looked at the forms and the ladies collecting them were supposed to do temp. checks but didn't. They seemed to be bored with the whole affair.
Glad it went smoothly for you. Welcome to Spain.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Entry to Spain from 1 July requires a form and a QR code (to be downloaded 2 days prior to travel).
Details here - https://www.spth.gob.es/
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by sl1ppy
Entry to Spain from 1 July requires a form and a QR code (to be downloaded 2 days prior to travel).
Yes, I am sure that this be very effective (not). But at least it gives the impression that the Spanish government is doing something.

And it helps in my decision to make my 2nd residence my 1st. I've about had it with Spain and their ridiculous handling of this crisis, and I refuse to travel home if I have to fill out forms or install apps for it. (Spain seems to be happy to accept European money, but doesn't care about free travel within the Schengen area.)
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Koby
And it helps in my decision to make my 2nd residence my 1st. I've about had it with Spain and their ridiculous handling of this crisis, and I refuse to travel home if I have to fill out forms or install apps for it. (Spain seems to be happy to accept European money, but doesn't care about free travel within the Schengen area.)
Good luck with that!
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by MfromL
Good luck with that!
Thank you, even if you probably do not mean it that way... :-)

Obviously, I'll have to travel there a few more times. But it looks as if you can still enter by car without going through this circus. (The website only mentions flights/airports.)
Old Jul 3, 2020, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Koby
I've about had it with Spain and their ridiculous handling of this crisis, and I refuse to travel home if I have to fill out forms or install apps for it. (Spain seems to be happy to accept European money, but doesn't care about free travel within the Schengen area.)
What a rant! In case you haven't noticed, the virus is still circulating. Letting people in with zero control would be a massive mistake.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Letting people in with zero control would be a massive mistake.
Never mind about letting people in. There are now two areas in Spain that have been put in lockdown again because of a rising number of cases: one in Catalunya (around Lleida) and one in Galicia (A Maria, on the coast of Lugo province).
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:54 am

A new development: the Catalan government has made it mandatory to wear a face mask whenever you are outside (yes, even when there is no-one else around). This is for the entire region of Catalunya, not just the area that has gone back in lockdown.

If anyone was considering visiting (for instance) Barcelona or the Costa Brava in the near future, better think again.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:00 am

Don't forget to mention the 100€ fine.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:02 pm

Another show of woeful incompetence and make-it-up-as-we-go-along from the Catalan government. This time, they are in control so they cannot revert to the usual playbook of blaming 'Madrid' for their mistakes.

Details of the measure are not yet clear, as El Pas reports, but there will be some exceptions to the norm:

https://elpais.com/espana/catalunya/2020-07-08/el-uso-obligatorio-de-la-mascarilla-en-cataluna-entra-en-vigor-manana.html

I expect there to be some kind of backtracking on this measure as the tourist industry stands to lose whatever crumbs of the season they had been counting on. Besides, the measure will be impossible to enforce as anyone who is doing physical exercise will be exempted from the requirement, meaning anyone stopped on the street without a mask will be able to claim they are taking a rest from their jog.

Last edited by HalconBCN; Jul 8, 2020 at 3:08 pm
Old Jul 9, 2020, 4:25 am

Incompetence or not, this new trend is now spreading to other regions outside Catalunya. The Balearic Islands are going to announce a similar obligation soon. (From what I read in the press, masks will be mandatory there starting this weekend.)

I agree that the tourism sector is not going to be happy about this.
And "jogging with grocery bags" is probably going to be a new popular sport very soon... ;-)
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:23 am

Everyone I know is furious about it. The regional governments' goal is to shift responsibility for new outbreaks over to the public, instead of owning up to their own mistakes. In hindsight, it was a mistake for the central governnent to let them decide these kinds of things, as they are just focused on their own selfish electoral interests.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 11:16 am

I agree. The French model seems much more efficient. It is one of the complexities of the type of federalism (if we can call it that way, I know it's different) that Spain has. In any case, they are keeping quite —for now— about the fact that Madrid seems to be under control while Barcelona numbers have an upwards trend (because that is all they could talk about during the first days of the pandemic). Well, in any case, be safe and enjoy the spectacle. At least you can walk the city without many tourists, which is a nice sight to see —and will likely not repeat after this year, unless there is another pandemic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.