Covid-19 Spain

Old May 22, 2020, 12:06 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
And I wonder why the OP is connecting in MAD, which has NO intercontinental flights as of today, and not, say, through LHR, which has many more flights to the US, and where you can connect through terminals without going landside?
Old May 22, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Actually DFW-MAD has been running for almost a week now. Inbound to the US are allowed US citizens and permanent residents returning, and inbound to Spain EU citizens and residents (+ doctors, military and diplomatic staff). AA is the only US airline flying to Spain at this point.
Old May 22, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Hmm. Thanks, MfromL. I missed that. So, if I want to go to Fort Worth, I just...
Old May 22, 2020, 11:17 am

So you have a blue passport, damn you! I have been postponing an important flight to the US since April and I do not have any idea of when it will happen. Had they only allowed in also students visas this wouldn't be an issue for me.
Old May 23, 2020, 12:20 am

Yeah, blue passport but I'll stick with Madrid, thanks. Best of luck with your travel plans! (Seriously)
Old May 23, 2020, 7:37 am

Oh, I get you. It is just a work visit to MSP that will be put on hold until the end of summer, probably. I also prefer Madrid. (And tomorrow we will have terrazas open again!)
Old May 23, 2020, 9:46 am

Well, the president spoke today and said that starting in July Spain would open to international tourism again.
Old May 23, 2020, 5:58 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by MfromL
Well, the president spoke today and said that starting in July Spain would open to international tourism again.
Yes, this was a positive message that Spain needed to send out to the international audience.

Anyone living in a "safe" country can now start booking trips to Spain for July and lock in some nice discounts on hotels (with free cancellation in case events change).

This will be a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity to enjoy some of Spain's best loved attractions without the typical holiday crowds! I plan to visit Galicia and Asturias as soon as these underrated regions open to domestic tourists in late June according to the plans.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Can anyone confirm if the opening-up of borders in Spain from July is countrywide?

We're in need of flying to SJO (Costa Rica) from UK. Currently the most sensible option remaining for July is LHR-MAD, MAD-SJO. Does anyone know whether there are any restrictions in July that would prevent us doing this? We'd be needing to overnight July 2nd before flying out < 24 hours later on July 3rd - so would need to leave the airport.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 3:09 pm

Madrid will be open to tourists on July 1 or even in the last week of June if the regional goverment decides to open sooner.
It's unlikely that Spain will blacklist arrivals from the UK, so my advice is to go ahead and book this connection.
guytp likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 8:08 am

Wait... are you sure MAD-SJO will be operating on those days? This also depends on the Costa Rican govmnt allowing commercial flights from Spain and this is not the case right now. If you check here (https://www.migracion.go.cr/Paginas/...Fronteras.aspx), it says that their current frontier closure extends until June 30th, date when they will evaluate if they open or not. I would be extra careful on booking something like that.

Also, Spain is not resuming all international flights in July, just European flights, so this wouldn't make sense.

[Second edit: I just saw your post history, it seems that you know this and are gambling that this will be the case.

In any case, while Halcon is right on Spain opening July 1st, I'm do not share his view on UK being allowed just because the Covid numbers there are not quite down yet and Spanish authorities have talked for a while now about safe touristic corridors, and while UK tourism would make sense on the long haul, with the high numbers you have right now I find this unlikely].

Last edited by MfromL; Jun 2, 2020 at 8:31 am
Old Jun 2, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Aware of current borders in Costa Rica. We are trying to relocate - we were due to go out just before last flights out but decided to postpone until first flights open up again. We had LGW-SJO booked for Jul 1st with BA which is now zeroed. My current plan is to wait until June 15th - by which point CR should have updated whether or not borders will be open on 1st. If the borders are open on 1st then we rebook LHR-MAD (BA), MAD-SJO (IB) with the MAD-SJO on 3rd July. If borders remain closed then we move to an August LGW-SJO flight. Currently IB are showing MAD-SJO operating in July on a reduced frequency (1x/week rather than 7x) - but I do still have doubts. Worst case this is originally an Avios booking, rebooked with FTV so should have flexibility up until last minute if we do need to reschedule due to borders.

I too have doubts anybody will want to let UK in for a while (quite rightly so).

I guess let's see where the world is in 2 weeks!
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
I need to travel to Madrid next week to attend to a family member in hospital. I am a US citizen living in Hawaii that also has a Netherlands passport. My plan is to fly to the Netherlands on July 22, enter the country, and then fly AMS to MAD the following day on my Dutch passport. The Dutch consular hotline has advised me that I should quarantine in Amsterdam upon my arrival for 14 days, but has said it is up to me. Does anyone know if this is a feasible plan, or will I be prevented from boarding the AMS to MAD flight due to my US residency? Are internal controls still in place at Schiphol for Schengen flights?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by lovenola
I need to travel to Madrid next week to attend to a family member in hospital. I am a US citizen living in Hawaii that also has a Netherlands passport. My plan is to fly to the Netherlands on July 22, enter the country, and then fly AMS to MAD the following day on my Dutch passport. The Dutch consular hotline has advised me that I should quarantine in Amsterdam upon my arrival for 14 days, but has said it is up to me. Does anyone know if this is a feasible plan, or will I be prevented from boarding the AMS to MAD flight due to my US residency? Are internal controls still in place at Schiphol for Schengen flights?
The borders in Spain are opening for tourism on June 22 to all Schengen countries. This means you can fly from AMS to MAD on your Dutch passport, no problem.
I am not sure what kind of controls you may face when you land at Schiphol, but presumably your Dutch citizenship allows you free entry.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:32 pm

I would read this. There is somewhere there a letter from the Dutch government saying that all nationals coming from high contagion areas must quarantine, as you were told. While this might be legal at this point, it is also a bit problematic from the moral standpoint. While I understand your situation, if you travel and are infected, but without symptoms, you are also risking the lives of many other people around you.

In any case, you should also consider the possibility of being found out; you will be entering the Netherlands with a NL passport, and travelling the following day, I'm guessing, with the same document. The airline might now allow you to do so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.