Covid-19 Spain

Old Apr 11, 2020, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Any idea of the impact of COVID-19 in Galicia? We are planning to spend a week in the region in mid-August, but don't have anything booked outside of a flight into SCQ and a departure back to the US from OPO.
Is there anything in particular you want to know that you think that will help you?
Myself, I wouldn’t know what information to use to begin basing a decision like that on. I can offer no advice or opinion.

Basic data from the 8th Apr was:
“So far, 34,423 tests have been carried out in the Galician community on a population of 2.7 million inhabitants. This Wednesday, the Xunta (local government) has recorded 5,460 cases of Covid-19 within Galicia, of which almost 4,500 are in their homes. 278 people in the region have died from Covid-19.”
https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-04-...positivos.html
Old Apr 12, 2020, 6:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Any idea of the impact of COVID-19 in Galicia? We are planning to spend a week in the region in mid-August, but don't have anything booked outside of a flight into SCQ and a departure back to the US from OPO.
Galicia has not been as badly affected as other Spanish regions, probably because it is more isolated and has relatively lower population density. As part of the next phase of deconfinement, Spain will move towards an approach where restrictions vary per city/province. As a result, the chance of Galicia being kept open is higher than, say, Catalonia. Then again, popular Galician tourist spots like Santiago de Compostela, Xanxenxo and Islas Cies could be shut.

At this point, nobody can predict when or whether Spain will even have a tourist season this summer. I watched the chief of AC Marriott on Spanish TV last night saying that he believes 2020 is "lost" and that if there is any tourism at all, it will be domestic tourism.

Not all decisions depend on Spain. The EU could shut down flights from outside the Schengen area. Or airlines might cancel routes due to low demand.

If I were you, I would be making contingency plans for the strong possibility you will not be able to visit, but no need to cancel anything just yet. Just wait and see. I hops you can visit, because Galicia is such a beautiful region of Spain. If you are able to come, you'll have it all to yourself and enjoy steep discounts on hotels and car hire.

Last edited by HalconBCN; Apr 14, 2020 at 8:18 am
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Spain will move towards an approach where restrictions vary per city/province.
So what happened to "el virus no entiende de territorios" ?

I have to see it before I believe it, but it is of course the most sensible approach for a country the size of Spain with different levels of contaigon in different regions. Too bad they did not realise this (or had the political will to implement this) weeks ago.

And as for PsiFighter37's trip to Galicia: the chances of going forward with this trip are indeed very small. Even within Europe it is far from certain that people will be allowed travel to a holiday destination abroad this summer, so trip from outside Europe are even less likely to be possible.
Anyway, since they have only booked the flights they can easily wait and see until the flights get cancelled by the airline.

Last edited by Koby; Apr 13, 2020 at 12:19 am
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Koby
So what happened to "el virus no entiende de territorios" ?
Yes, the virus does not understand political borders, so the correct approach, which Spain should follow, is to lock down cities or provinces rather than entire Regions. In fact, that approach already was piloted within Catalonia serveral weeks ago, in Igualada. We will only stop this virus if we take a united approach across all of Spain.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:59 pm

Yes, the virus does not understand political borders, so the correct approach, which Spain should follow, is to lock down cities or provinces rather than entire Regions. In fact, that approach already was piloted within Catalonia serveral weeks ago, in Igualada.
So Igualada was a good choice (I agree). But could the same not be done for Madrid (city or region, which is almost the same)?
Why? Because it is a "political border" (whatever that means)? So are you now confirming that certain areas could not be locked down for political reasons?

We will only stop this virus if we take a united approach across all of Spain.
Do you really not see the contradiction with what you wrote in the previous phrase?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Koby
So Igualada was a good choice (I agree). But could the same not be done for Madrid (city or region, which is almost the same)?
Why? Because it is a "political border" (whatever that means)?
The poster was asking us about Galicia!
If you are interested in my view - at national level I want to see a unified, centrally coordinated approach based on objective, technical criteria, not emotions or speculation. If that means areas of Madrid Region or City should be locked down then let's do it and not be worried about the ego of whichever Regional president feels his/her nose is put out of joint.

Last edited by HalconBCN; Apr 14, 2020 at 8:17 am
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
To Spain in October? Any thoughts???

¡Saludos a todos! As a frequent visitor to Spain, I am longing to return, as I travel there at least three or four times a year. Obviously, my UA from EWR to MAD this Saturday will be cancelled. Reading this thread, it’s probable that even my June/July trip will be out, too. Any thoughts on a conference trip to be scheduled in October? I was thinking of changing the April ticket, but with int’l travel, who knows, perhaps I ought to just cancel the ticket. I’ve read several well-written & researched, but surprising & depressing, articles about the slow return to int’l flights (and ugh, it seems like I would be former epicenter to former epicenter, for my two countries). Any educated guesses, particularly coming from the Spain point of view??? With thanks, and good health to all!!
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr.Ells
Any thoughts on a conference trip to be scheduled in October?
Dr.Ellis
Do you think the pandemic will run its course throughout the world and be done? Or do you think that, as has happened with other pandemics, there will be a another wave of infections? (A phenomenon that usually coincides with the time period after children have returned to school in... -checking my notes- October)
Do you think that the USA will have wrestled control over the spread of infection in a way that will give countries such as Spain enough reassurance to accept travellers from that region?
Perhaps you are imagining a vaccine being available by October? Or reliable antibody tests, and the South Korean concerns about reinfection being understood and fully addressed/solved by then?

Spain has slowed down the terrible climb in infection and deaths, but it hasn’t yet stopped spread.
https://english.elpais.com/society/2...re-to-567.html
There are still lessons we are desperately trying to learn about how it continues to spread, and until this is understood completely any policies or measures that are being put into place can be reviewed and changed.
https://english.elpais.com/society/2...-in-homes.html

What I think that means is that if the situation in July/August looks encouraging and your visit looks like it could go ahead, be prepared for a much faster clamp down to prevent you travelling should circumstances take a turn in September or October.

Spain was slow to act in February/March because it lacked the kind of evidence felt essential to impose draconian measures on the population. That evidence is no longer missing. My belief is that any reaction required in the Autumn to halt infection will be implemented quickly and decisively.
Another question you might like to ask yourself is not whether you can visit Spain in October, but whether you would be able to return to the USA should a local outbreak coincide with your visit.
mmack and BeachRat like this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:16 am

¡Saludos a todos! As a frequent visitor to Spain, I am longing to return, as I travel there at least three or four times a year. Obviously, my UA from EWR to MAD this Saturday will be cancelled. Reading this thread, it’s probable that even my June/July trip will be out, too. Any thoughts on a conference trip to be scheduled in October? I was thinking of changing the April ticket, but with int’l travel, who knows, perhaps I ought to just cancel the ticket. I’ve read several well-written & researched, but surprising & depressing, articles about the slow return to int’l flights (and ugh, it seems like I would be former epicenter to former epicenter, for my two countries). Any educated guesses, particularly coming from the Spain point of view??? With thanks, and good health to all!!
The good news is that the data indicates Spain has flattened the curve. The situation, while still terrible, is gradually improving. At this point, the economic angle of this crisis is starting to gain weight in the public debate. Tourism is a pivotal part of Spain's economy; the authorities will want to find ways to bring people back to work in the sector without seriously risking public safety. Health experts have already been telling the media that beaches could reopen this summer in a limited capacity, with the appropriate distancing measures enforced. Of course, nobody is envisaging packed beaches or queues to get into key tourist sites. While it's certainly feasible that you could visit in October, you'd be better off following a wait-and-see approach, avoiding making any hard plans now.

Last edited by HalconBCN; Apr 14, 2020 at 8:21 am
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K
Many thanks!!!

Dear Laplap and HalcónBCN,
I am most grateful for both of your answers. Also, since this thread began, I’ve been avidly reading it, and I always appreciate all of your excellent and helpful information.
Yes, I believe you’re both correct. I had not thought about how quickly (and rightfully so) any country will be to close its borders, if there’s a subsequent episode. Also, I feel compelled to agree, a wait-and-measure approach to autumn travels would be best.
Again, wishing you both, and any reader, as well as all of your beloved, good health and uplifted spirits!!!
LapLap and HalconBCN like this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:38 pm

Dear Laplap and HalcónBCN,
I am most grateful for both of your answers. Also, since this thread began, I’ve been avidly reading it, and I always appreciate all of your excellent and helpful information.
Yes, I believe you’re both correct. I had not thought about how quickly (and rightfully so) any country will be to close its borders, if there’s a subsequent episode. Also, I feel compelled to agree, a wait-and-measure approach to autumn travels would be best.
Again, wishing you both, and any reader, as well as all of your beloved, good health and uplifted spirits!!!
Thank you! Fingers crossed you can visit us later this year
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:48 am

A new normal by the end of June

As many of you will have seen, Spain's death rates are thankfully on a downward trend after a massive sacrifice from the entire population. Yet infection rates are still unacceptably high in some territories. A nuanced approach had been chosen to lift the lockdown.

The government has announced a gradual lifting of the lockdown in phases starting this weekend, which will continue until at least the end of June until we reach the "new normal" - whatever that new normal means will of course depend on multiple factors some of which are beyond Spanish government control.

Here is an overview of the phases.

Points to note:
  • The phases will differentiate per Province. This means Barcelona Province could remain in Phase 1 for longer than, say, Girona Province. Generally speaking, the provinces with the lowest population density will move faster into phases 2 and 3. Rural will move faster than urban.
  • Dates on the calendar above are indicitive but we have been told there will be a minimum of 2 weeks between a province moving from one phase to another (movement between phases will be coordinated centrally based on a set of objective indicators)
  • There is no date yet for international flights to reopen to tourism. Likely this will depend on coordination with other countries. Some in the tourist industry are pushing for "safe corridors" where tourists from countries that have low rates of covid will be welcomed first. Details are still sketchy but rapid tests for arriving visitors have been floated by industry leaders as a potential control mechanism. The Balearic and Canary islands, where infection rates are lower than on the mainland, are likely to be the first to welcome visitors because they can better control who is coming in. They also rely on tourism and the economic consequences of zero tourism this summer would be simply devastating for familes on those islands.
  • The key date in the calendar is phase 3 when Spanish residents will be able to travel outside their province. This means residents in Barcelona will be able to visit Galicia and vice versa, for example.
  • For those of you who have holidays booked in Spain this summer, I would expect phase 3 will be the point at which international tourists COULD be welcomed. Already hotels can open from May 11 however this is only to guests already within the same province and on a room-only basis. At first communal areas of hotels will be closed in phase 3 they will be able to open these areas to 50% of their usual capacity.
  • As we move into the later phases the things you can do as a tourist will be increasingly open - beaches, outdoor restaurant terraces, museums, small scale cultural events and the like.
  • Phase 3 looks to be the point at which we can really enjoy the Spanish food, lifestyle and culture we all know and love and enjoy something akin to a normal summer vacation (albeit with lots of social distancing). However, we don't know if international visitors will be able to share in that enjoyment because of restrictions on air travel etc.
There is a lot of detail in the government's plan and I would not be surprised if some details change given the dynamics of the situation.

Let me know if I can help clarify any doubts.

Last edited by HalconBCN; Apr 29, 2020 at 12:18 pm
Old May 4, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Question

My fiancee and I are planning on honeymooning in the Canary Islands starting June 29. How likely is it that we will be able to travel there from NYC? The phase chart in the previous post makes me cautiously optimistic.
Old May 5, 2020, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
My fiancee and I are planning on honeymooning in the Canary Islands starting June 29. How likely is it that we will be able to travel there from NYC? The phase chart in the previous post makes me cautiously optimistic.
If you are able to enter Spain legally at that stage given the outbreak in NYC, I would say it's reasonable to assume you could visit the Canaries.
Due to their low case numbers, the Canaries will be the first to move into Phase 3 according to the model timetable above. The islands are desperate to get the tourism machine running again.
However, you would be wise to avoid any firm plans until you have full clarity on the local and international situation.
Old May 5, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
If you are able to enter Spain legally at that stage given the outbreak in NYC, I would say it's reasonable to assume you could visit the Canaries.
Due to their low case numbers, the Canaries will be the first to move into Phase 3 according to the model timetable above. The islands are desperate to get the tourism machine running again.
However, you would be wise to avoid any firm plans until you have full clarity on the local and international situation.
Thank you! Our hotel is refundable until shortly before the trip and Iberia has canceled our return flight, so we should be able to get our money back if necessary. We really hope to go though!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.