Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been reimbursed for their "reasonable" expenses yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2023, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

I'm waiting to hear from Southwest regarding reimbursement for tickets on United I purchased to get home during the meltdown. I'm sure I'm way in the back of the line now... but... Has anyone received their reimbursements yet? If so, how did it go? And when did you get a response?
Old Jan 2, 2023, 7:20 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
I assisted a colleague with submitting on December 29th for a United flight and received the following message back today: "Thank you for contacting us. Due to the nature of your request, we are escalating your email for further review, and we'll do our best to get back to you as soon as possible." I will be submitting a request for myself today and will see if there is a response as well. Unsure what will happen but at least there was some sort of update provided.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by roadman3313
I assisted a colleague with submitting on December 29th for a United flight and received the following message back today: "Thank you for contacting us. Due to the nature of your request, we are escalating your email for further review, and we'll do our best to get back to you as soon as possible." I will be submitting a request for myself today and will see if there is a response as well. Unsure what will happen but at least there was some sort of update provided.
did ya get a case # after submitting info for reimbursement?
Old Jan 3, 2023, 2:51 pm
Original Member

Yes. I was on a cancelled flight on 12/24, and then another flight cancelled. Book a flight on Delta through SLC to get OAK-DEN. Submitted information for the ticket on the evening of 12/27 and on the afternoon 12/29 received an e-mail that a check would be sent for the cost of the Delta flight. My original Southwest flight had been booked on points so I cancelled that once I got to Denver as I rebooked for 12/25, the next available flight.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 1:14 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
Yes. A case number was issued. The original flight was from SFO-BUR but the rebooked flight was from SFO-SBA so I believe they are awaiting to see if the gas/mileage from BUR to SBA and back would be included in the reimbursement as there were no SFO-BUR flights with seats left available that day as another colleague had to drive to pick them up. Hopefully, if anything, the flight portion should be straight forward and similar in cost.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 3:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
No option for direct deposit or PayPal deposit? Only mailed paper checks? Makes sense for WN - some potential breakage.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 6:50 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
No option for direct deposit or PayPal deposit? Only mailed paper checks? Makes sense for WN - some potential breakage.
I'm not sure I would want to give WN my bank account number.
jamiel, Watchful and bigbuy like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 1:04 am

Programs: WN A+ Preffered CP, DL SK GOld, AA Gold
I got an email from Southwest today offering 25,000 points as a way of saying sorry. I was flying on BS fare from SAN to HNL. Couldn't believe it when our flight took off an hour late. Spent hours on vacation looking for return options in case the problems had not been corrected. AS had 2 seats left, one in F and one in Y. We spent the extra money to ensure they were refundable. Just waiting for their response. I'm a Companion Pass holder and so far my Companion hasn't gotten the email. I'm thinking of requesting the same offer
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:44 am

I haven't, request submitted on Monday 1/2 case #606501xx.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Troopers
I haven't, request submitted on Monday 1/2 case #606501xx.
Interesting. Assuming these case #'s are sequential, I submitted on Friday 12/30 with case #603627xx. If sequential, an additional 287,300+/- cases were submitted between mine and yours.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Interesting. Assuming these case #'s are sequential, I submitted on Friday 12/30 with case #603627xx. If sequential, an additional 287,300+/- cases were submitted between mine and yours.
Perhaps case numbers are sequential. I filed a second case on Tuesday 1/3 for my return flight on 1/1 (first case was the outbound flight on 12/31), case number #607649xx.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 12:01 am

Mine from 12/29 (late night pacific time) was #60316xxx so it could be possible given the #60362xxx number listed above on 12/30.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 1:46 pm

Chiming in with #5984xxxx on 12/26 and #6055xxxx on 1/1, so 700K+ cases in a week. I assume it will take a while to get through the backlog... My refund request for a flight I could not cancel myself (due to being past scheduled departure time) was processed but that was submitted through the travel disruptions page. My luggage request via the same page on the other hand seemed to be disregarded - via an airtag my luggage went from LAS-MDW (original flight that I did not fly due to cancelled connection), sat there for about 9 days, came back to LAS, then went through at least STL, IND, CHS, MDW, BWI, before making it to ROC (my original final destination), who finally called me yesterday to ask how I wanted to get the bag - said I wanted it to come back to LAS and I would pick it up, they said their only option was to fedex it so they would do that and get it to me sometime next week....
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by roadman3313
Yes. A case number was issued. The original flight was from SFO-BUR but the rebooked flight was from SFO-SBA so I believe they are awaiting to see if the gas/mileage from BUR to SBA and back would be included in the reimbursement as there were no SFO-BUR flights with seats left available that day as another colleague had to drive to pick them up. Hopefully, if anything, the flight portion should be straight forward and similar in cost.
​​​​​​​Just received the latest update from my 12/29 submission:
"Thank you for contacting Southwest Airlines®. We recognize that it is taking us some time to respond, and we wanted to reach out to let you know that we are working on your request that you submitted through Contact Us. We truly appreciate your patience and will be in touch as soon as possible."

I will say at least there is some acknowledgement instead of an outright refusal. I have another claim to submit as well for the return flight but awaiting the final receipts for that before submitting. We will see how it goes with this one.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:45 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
^ same response received awhile ago, a mass boilerplate, I’m sure.

I gave up on trying to get ahold of Southwest to have them claw back the flight credits they issued for my cxld flts instead of properly refunding credit card as I requested. Instead, they can figure it out with Goldman Sachs/Apple Card as I disputed the charge and have provisional credit from them while they wait for a response from WN. Full documentation also sent to GS of cxls and comms, although I’d be shocked if they even ever respond to the dispute given their backlog. We shall see…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.