Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been reimbursed for their "reasonable" expenses yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone been reimbursed for their "reasonable" expenses yet?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:00 pm

Had a flight booked on 12/25 that I moved to 12/26 and ended up cancelling proactively 12/25. Both the original and new one would have been cancelled.

I’ve received nothing so I complained on 1/3. On 1/4, my companion received the standard SW apology with 2 codes for 25k. This makes no sense. I booked the flights, I used my account to pay for them (points) and she was just my other traveler. Almost deleted the email too. Anyone in a similar boat? I wonder if they will reply to me

Last edited by bgallthat1; Jan 6, 2023 at 9:05 pm
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
I have received no reimbursements, vouchers or RR compensation. Our flight was cancelled on 12/25. We were rebooked in 12/26.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:48 am

i had 2 one-way booked flights that got cancelled... should I get 1 or 2 codes of 25k goodwill pts?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Still waiting on my 12/28 request for reimbursement for expenses stemming from the cancellation of a 12/27 LGB-OAK flight. We paid about $390 apiece (includes one checked bag) on Spirit for an SNA-OAK flight to replace it. I wonder if that's a record for $ paid for a one-hour flight on Spirit. Well see if Southwest considers this "reasonable".
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:52 pm

Had an LAX-PHX flight cancelled on the 26th. It was booked on points. Ended up renting a car. Will try to submit the rental car cost, was over $1300. Let's see if they'll reimburse me. So far I've received the 25K points X 2. For me and ny wife. Deposited everything in my account.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
I haven't, request submitted on Monday 1/2 case #606501xx.
I reached out to Twitter inquiring about 25k codes for a 1/1 return flight that I voluntarily cancelled (I drove when 12/28 outbound flight was cancelled).

Twitter support asked to take over the case and handle directly. Sure, no problem.

I submitted receipts for gas/food incurred on 12/28 and 1/1 totaling ~$500. Approved. A check will be mailed to me.

I also requested reimbursement for use of personal vehicle (wear/tear). Denied.

Also received $250 travel voucher for each pax.

No 25k codes for the return flight. I received 25k codes for the outbound flight.

I’m content. I think fair outcome.
AsiaTraveler likes this.

Last edited by Troopers; Jan 7, 2023 at 11:32 pm
Old Jan 8, 2023, 7:53 am

I reached out to Twitter inquiring about 25k codes for a 1/1 return flight that I voluntarily cancelled (I drove when 12/28 outbound flight was cancelled).

Twitter support asked to take over the case and handle directly. Sure, no problem.

I submitted receipts for gas/food incurred on 12/28 and 1/1 totaling ~$500. Approved. A check will be mailed to me.

No 25k codes for the return flight. I received 25k codes for the outbound flight.

what date did u submit request for reimbursement?
Old Jan 8, 2023, 9:18 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC

I think your mistake may have been submitting gas receipts then asking for wear & tear, you should have just submitted mileage times the standard IRS mileage rate ($.625/mile in December, $.655/mile in January) which covers gas plus other incidental expenses related to your personal vehicle.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
I think your mistake may have been submitting gas receipts then asking for wear & tear, you should have just submitted mileage times the standard IRS mileage rate ($.625/mile in December, $.655/mile in January) which covers gas plus other incidental expenses related to your personal vehicle.
Perhaps. In my case submittal, I did request $0.625/mi for personal vehicle and also provided mileage between the two airports.

Per Twitter, they will not reimburse the use of personal vehicles. I suspect due to lack of receipt.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
what date did u submit request for reimbursement?
1/2
Old Jan 8, 2023, 5:55 pm

Received reimbursement today through “Hyperwallet” for a claim filed 12/27.

One night hotel + Uber.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I got emails today confirming my reimbursement for some airport F&B for a delayed flight on 12/26, which I filed same day. I was one of the few that actually made it to and from their destination that day, though delayed.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 4:34 am

Programs: TK E+ *G, AA Gold, A7 *S
Filed for car rental + gas + hotel + meals on 12/29.

Received email notice today that my reimbursement request for $470 has been approved and I will receive a link from Hyperwallet shortly for payout.

All my requested reimbursements were approved, but they did note the following in their email: "Reasonable requests for reimbursement for meals, hotel accommodations, and alternate transportation (e.g., rental cars and tickets on other airlines) were honored. Any other request such as lost wages, credit card interest, expenses requested with handwritten receipts, etc. were not honored."

Must say I'm impressed with the speed of this, in addition to my refund + 25,000 points. Certainly I feel more than compensated for my $170 original flight.
AsiaTraveler likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 4:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Flight cancelled 12/26. Submitted refund request (ticket) and reimbursement request (expenses) 12/29.

1/2 I received ~14k points returned to my account for the cancelled flight, as well as $5.60 security fees for myself and companion ticket. 1/3 I received 25k points for both my ticket and companion ticket "good will gesture". 1/9 I received one email informing me of refund for upgraded boarding purchased on both tickets, and a separate email indicating my expenses of ~$350 were approved.

While we were definitely inconvenienced by the cancellations and having to drive a thousand miles, in the end the compensation seems fair and was handled with more swiftness than I expected. The 50k extra miles covers $1200 of travel with companion pass, so I consider that to be the bulk of the inconvenience compensation.
AsiaTraveler likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:45 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
No option for direct deposit or PayPal deposit? Only mailed paper checks? Makes sense for WN - some potential breakage.
Unless the check is for less than $75, I don't see much breakage. Most people are going to get checks for amounts that their laziness won't overtake their need for the money

Besides I don't think Windows 3.1.1 (for workgroups) will support that kind of technology 😁
uastarflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.