Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been reimbursed for their "reasonable" expenses yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone been reimbursed for their "reasonable" expenses yet?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2023, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by m907
Are people getting refunds of the fare for a cancelled ticket in addition to reimbursement?
WN cancelled my flight on 12/26 and within a couple days I was given a refund as a travel credit - I submitted a form online and got it refunded to my credit card on 1/5. I submitted a reimbursement request for a flight I booked on AA on 1/1 and received approval for reimbursement 1/28. So yes, I was both refunded and reimbursed.
m907 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:03 pm

FYI that Arlene has still not responded
Old Feb 7, 2023, 11:32 am

Same, I have not got a reply back after DMing Arlene.
Initial request was sent in early January...
got a couple of "we are still working on it" email but nothing since...
Old Feb 9, 2023, 12:41 pm

CNBC: Anything under $4K was approved immediately.

“We reimbursed tire chains, strollers, car seats, pet sitting but things we didn’t reimburse were things like $7,000 shopping sprees at luxury stores or chartering a private jet.” - COO Andrew Watterson
@lesliejosephs
Old Feb 9, 2023, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender

@lesliejosephs
If by "approved immediately" you mean "positively ignored for six weeks as they figured out what the heck they were doing", then I'd agree.

I still haven't received any response, but I was also one of the folks who made a very reasonable submission for (1) a Lyft ride to an alternative co-terminal, (2) burning a bunch of Hyatt points on a hotel room while waiting for the flight, and (3) cancellation fees at the destination hotel for having been a no-show.

Now, I'm sure in the early days the above items were just out-of-there enough that they just didn't know how to deal with them -- but I've gotten ZERO response to-date.

Seriously, I didn't even count meals and stuff -- which was basically just a bunch of cheap Chik-Fil-A that I do have standard $ receipts for but don't want to own up to eating.
m907 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K, southwest A+, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire ambassador
I am also still waiting on a response. Submitted a claim on 12/29 for airfare only when my 12/25 flight was cancelled. Also submitted a claim for the 25,000 points that were given to those stranded but I never received anything from Southwest. Did receive an email on 1/5 for my claim. No word since then.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 7:33 pm

Arlene got back to us and we were reimbursed the next day, thanks!!!
SWAVictor likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by rariya
FYI that Arlene has still not responded
Arlene did respond on the 10th saying she'd look into it. Twitter said I would hear back in 7-10 days, on day 12 I finally got the email to redeem my hyperwallet code. So fully reimbursed 27 days after the initial 'reimbursement approved email'. They didn't make it easy, but I'm just happy it's over.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Quote:
“We reimbursed tire chains, strollers, car seats, pet sitting but things we didn’t reimburse were things like $7,000 shopping sprees at luxury stores or chartering a private jet.” - COO Andrew Watterson

@lesliejosephs
Ridiculous, like anybody that could afford a private jet was flying WN. People need to have a little common sense when trying to get money. It's junk like this that causes companies to scrutinize everyone's claims.

Originally Posted by AllThePants
If by "approved immediately" you mean "positively ignored for six weeks as they figured out what the heck they were doing", then I'd agree.

I still haven't received any response, but I was also one of the folks who made a very reasonable submission for (1) a Lyft ride to an alternative co-terminal, (2) burning a bunch of Hyatt points on a hotel room while waiting for the flight, and (3) cancellation fees at the destination hotel for having been a no-show.

Now, I'm sure in the early days the above items were just out-of-there enough that they just didn't know how to deal with them -- but I've gotten ZERO response to-date.

Seriously, I didn't even count meals and stuff -- which was basically just a bunch of cheap Chik-Fil-A that I do have standard $ receipts for but don't want to own up to eating.
If it was Arby's then I'd know a lawyer who'd help you. He'd classify it as a Geneva Convention violation! Attorney Tom. (One of my favorite YouTube channels, along with LegalEagle)
Old Feb 16, 2023, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by AllThePants
(2) burning a bunch of Hyatt points on a hotel room while waiting for the flight, .
Curious, how did you value the Hyatt points? And was the claim honored?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by hunter747
Curious, how did you value the Hyatt points? And was the claim honored?
In my original submission, I valued them at $216 -- which was exactly how much you could buy replacement points for directly from Hyatt / points.com .

I re-submitted the claim using the new UI -- which allows you discrete dollar and point amounts. The next day I received a confirmation from Southwest with approvals for the $ receipts (Lyft + hotel no-show), but no mention of the points. And that they considered the reimbursement request "complete".

But just yesterday, I noticed a conspicuous 12K increase in my RR account labeled "Customer Service Adjustment". So it seems they might've just decided that they'd trade points 1:1 with any that were used via some other loyalty program. Personally I think Hyatt points are much more valuable than WN points -- at least the way I typically redeem them -- but the total reimbursement is "close enough" that it's not worth raising a fuss about two months later.

Now - the fact that Southwest effectively ruined Christmas last year-- that's a whole other matter :shakingfist:
screeton likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 1:00 pm

Followup in case it's useful to anyone: in late January, I got what looked like a form email from SW including "you should have already received a response about your claim." I had not, so called them. It took a little persistence, but eventually in early February they told me both my claims (two canceled trips) had been "inadvertently closed", and they would review why and get back to me within three weeks, and no, there was absolutely no way I could speak to the department handing it because they don't talk to customers (!!!).

Frustrating to say the least, but last week I was informed that both my claims were being paid in full, and the Hyperwallet transfer hit my bank acct this morning! I got back more than I expected, actually - didn't really expect one of the claims to be paid. So a long road but a good outcome eventually.

Last edited by whiskeyplease; Feb 27, 2023 at 1:06 pm
Old Feb 27, 2023, 1:10 pm

@lesliejosephs
It appears Southwest (or CNBC) and I use the term "immediately" to mean very different things, but ~2 months is not surprising given the sheer number of stranded passengers.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:03 pm

I've been pretty impressed with how pretty much every person I know who got stranded by Southwest did indeed get their entire expenses reimbursed. I think we all were expecting to have to fight for every little charge.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by papacheesy
I've been pretty impressed with how pretty much every person I know who got stranded by Southwest did indeed get their entire expenses reimbursed. I think we all were expecting to have to fight for every little charge.
I did not get my entire expense report paid for. And my wife and son did not get the 25,000 point I'm sorry bonus. I have private messaged the Southwest rep in this forum twice and have not received any response. So it's fair to say that I personally am not impressed at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.