Wiki Posts
Search

737 MAX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2020, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by LegalTender
SWA may wait to see how AA does with the single domestic route. Passengers rarely look beyond ticket price. I suspect it will fly full.
You couldn’t pay me any amount to fly my family on this plane. But I’m sure you’re right - there are plenty of people who won’t care, the same people who don’t worry about flying in the COVID era.
DenverBrian and screeton like this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
You couldn’t pay me any amount to fly my family on this plane. But I’m sure you’re right - there are plenty of people who won’t care, the same people who don’t worry about flying in the COVID era.
The two aren't exactly comparable. By now, everybody is aware of COVID and the sensible precautions one should take if they are flying right now. Very, very few people outside of aviation forums nerd out on aircraft types, let along subtypes. If the FAA has cleared an aircraft for commercial service, that's basically the end of the story for 99+% of travelers. If you ask people on the street to identify various aircraft types they'll maybe get the 747 and A380 correct but will have no clue how to specifically identify most of the other similar-looking planes like 737 and A320 subtypes.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:39 pm

I wouldn't say "99+%" when it comes to the MAX. It's been so much in the news, and for so long, that many people -- including non-aviation geeks -- are well aware of the situation. Or at least have a general impression that "MAX is bad." Whether they'll check their plane type prior to booking remains to be seen. (And whether Southwest will adopt a new naming scheme for the plane to try to avoid that.) I do suspect there will be a not-insignificant number of customers who refuse to fly on a MAX for a while, perhaps years. That said, even if Southwest doesn't accept their orders as quickly as initially scheduled, eventually it will be hard to avoid the MAX as over time it will represent a major portion of their fleet.

Personally, if it's at all possible I won't be flying on one for a while.
Boraxo, DenverBrian and screeton like this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by ursine1
whether Southwest will adopt a new naming scheme for the plane to try to avoid that
WN doesn't have to rename the MAX. Boeing already took care of that for them. Introducing the all new B737-8.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
That's confusing since Boeing already sells a non-MAX version called the 737-800, which some sometimes gets shortened to 738.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Tanic
WN doesn't have to rename the MAX. Boeing already took care of that for them. Introducing the all new B737-8.
No. Only 73M or 737-MAX8.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 12:36 am

As we thought, Southwest doesn't need the MAX for a while. From today's 8K filing:

The MAX will likely remain out of the Company’s published flight schedules until at least second quarter 2021.
LegalTender, N830MH and Gator11 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 12:38 pm

Interesting. I wonder if my flight in early '21 that currently shows as a MAX will get canceled or just serviced with some other plane.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by pinniped
Interesting. I wonder if my flight in early '21 that currently shows as a MAX will get canceled or just serviced with some other plane.
You can do re-booked for next future flights or you can canceled your trip.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
You can do re-booked for next future flights or you can canceled your trip.
I just noticed something when I go to book a flight that is currently listed as a MAX8. This language is seen when you click on the flight number:

*Boeing 737-MAX8 Aircraft are currently grounded by the FAA. Until the MAX8 aircraft returns to service, Southwest plans to operate MAX8 flights with a different aircraft type
So that suggests they'll just use another plane. It's PHX-MCI on a Tuesday in February, 5 nonstops a day that probably aren't sold out, so even if they bag it entirely we'll just get rebooked on another flight. Not too worried about it...
Old Oct 23, 2020, 9:52 pm

I just noticed something when I go to book a flight that is currently listed as a MAX8. This language is seen when you click on the flight number:

So that suggests they'll just use another plane. It's PHX-MCI on a Tuesday in February, 5 nonstops a day that probably aren't sold out, so even if they bag it entirely we'll just get rebooked on another flight. Not too worried about it...
That notification has been there for over a year. It really means nothing with regards to your particular flight.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
How many passengers actually look at aircraft subtypes when they book tickets? Especially on a carrier like WN where it's all 737's?

I've flown WN for years and never once known what subtype I was on until I was in the seat and I either noticed the safety card or heard the FA mention it.

I just went back and looked at a booking I recently did for MCI-PHX-MCI in February. One of the segments is on the MAX.
I do especially on United flies -700,-800,-900. -900 larger aircraft.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 1:08 am

I always check, as I prefer the 800s for longer flights.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I never checked before the MAX. Going forward I will check any airline that uses MAX and will blacklist those flights.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I never checked before the MAX. Going forward I will check any airline that uses MAX and will blacklist those flights.
Then it's time to say goodbye to Southwest, as WN does very frequent tail swaps, and these will be especially easy since the 800 and MAX 8 have the same number of seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.