Wiki Posts
Search

737 MAX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2020, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Then it's time to say goodbye to Southwest, as WN does very frequent tail swaps, and these will be especially easy since the 800 and MAX 8 have the same number of seats.
I don’t think so. They don’t need the planes given the current diminished route schedule. They are contemplating other options. And in the past they allowed you to switch flights if you didn’t want to fly a MAX and I expect that will continue until the public has confidence in MAX. So no, it is not time to say goodbye to WN.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I don’t think so. They don’t need the planes given the current diminished route schedule. They are contemplating other options. And in the past they allowed you to switch flights if you didn’t want to fly a MAX and I expect that will continue until the public has confidence in MAX. So no, it is not time to say goodbye to WN.
Cancelling the MAX order and ordering a bunch of A220's and maybe A321neo's would be a pretty smart move, I'd say. But what do I know?
Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Cancelling the MAX order and ordering a bunch of A220's and maybe A321neo's would be a pretty smart move, I'd say. But what do I know?
WN's business model has always revolved around a single aircraft type in the fleet - all 737s. Boeing enabled this fixation on all 737s by convincing the FAA not to require pilots to re-certify on newer 737s as they entered service. (Part of the reason why the MAX was so troublesome, IMO - it should have been a new "type" but that would have meant significant training of pilots on a new "type.")

Adding A220s or A321neos to the Southwest fleet would add one or two entirely new aircraft types to the inventory. All the pilots would need training, or they'd have to hire other pilots who are already rated on those types. And aircraft swaps would become as problematic (or, in other words, expensive) as they are for Delta/United/others.
BearX220 and formeraa like this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
WN's business model has always revolved around a single aircraft type in the fleet - all 737s. Boeing enabled this fixation on all 737s by convincing the FAA not to require pilots to re-certify on newer 737s as they entered service. (Part of the reason why the MAX was so troublesome, IMO - it should have been a new "type" but that would have meant significant training of pilots on a new "type.")

Adding A220s or A321neos to the Southwest fleet would add one or two entirely new aircraft types to the inventory. All the pilots would need training, or they'd have to hire other pilots who are already rated on those types. And aircraft swaps would become as problematic (or, in other words, expensive) as they are for Delta/United/others.
At some point there will be no more 737s. and Southwest will be forced to do something. I'd suggest that the MAX has shown that barring some new technical innovation that there is little if any development potential left in the 737 and that some of the historic decisions like low ground clearance prevent much further development.
DenverBrian and dmbolp like this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
In addition to pilots, I have to think that the increased costs to the entire maintenance org would be quite high to take on Airbus support in addition to Boeing.

If things get so bad that Southwest is seriously contemplating cutting over to the A320 platform, with the 3 to 5 year costs that would entail, then Boeing itself is in serious trouble because that will mean that its major customers see it as without a post-737 strategy for that size of aircraft.

If they were already on the 320, then it would be less of a stretch to see them order 220's. The one time Southwest could have easily had smaller planes - Airtran's 717's - they passed on them. But that may have been partly because there really isn't much commonality between a 717 and a 737 since the former is basically a McDonnell-Douglas, not Boeing, product.
steved5480 and ryw like this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
At some point there will be no more 737s. and Southwest will be forced to do something. I'd suggest that the MAX has shown that barring some new technical innovation that there is little if any development potential left in the 737 and that some of the historic decisions like low ground clearance prevent much further development.
yes and no, with covid devastating the travel industry, WN may be able to buy used 737s from other airlines at fairly low prices
Old Nov 3, 2020, 1:15 pm

Southwest, American pilots say new Boeing 737 Max manual may lead to errors in emergencies. Here is the link to the article from USA Today

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ay/6135927002/
Old Nov 3, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Gator11
Southwest, American pilots say new Boeing 737 Max manual may lead to errors in emergencies. Here is the link to the article from USA Today

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ay/6135927002/
"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools"
Old Nov 3, 2020, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by steved5480
"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools"
Sure, that's exactly what my golf clubs say, those lousy good-for-nothings...
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:40 am

FAA has issued the order to begin bringing the 737 Max back into service. Here is the link to the article:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/18/busin...val/index.html
N830MH likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:19 am

Canada holds off. It demands "additional procedures on the flight deck and pre-flight, as well as differences in training."

"Commercial flight restrictions for the operation of the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft in Canadian airspace remain in effect and will not be lifted until the department is fully satisfied that all its safety concerns have been addressed, and that enhanced flight crew procedures and training are in place in Canada."
Transport Canada
BearX220 and N830MH like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Statement from Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly regarding the 737-MAX return to service:

https://www.swamedia.com/releases/re...urn-to-service
joshua362 and LegalTender like this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 1:32 pm

Southwest 737 Max Jets Returning From Desert

Southwest customers’ response to the MAX in a recent survey was positive, executives said. About 25% have indicated that they are not comfortable flying on the jet but expect their comfort level to improve once it has been flying for a period of time.
N830MH likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The only authority I will listen to on MAX questions is the pilots and their union leadership. Airline managements, Boeing, and the FAA have all forfeited their credibility.

Gary Kelly in particular can get lost. For all his pious talk in the press release about how "there is nothing more sacred to me than the Safety of our Customers and Employees. If we had a cause for doubt of the Safety of our fleet—or any subset of it—simply put, the planes would not fly," Kelly was dismissing MAX danger and talking about what a fabulous plane it was literally as they were crashing.

Last edited by BearX220; Nov 19, 2020 at 1:59 pm
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
In addition to pilots, I have to think that the increased costs to the entire maintenance org would be quite high to take on Airbus support in addition to Boeing.

If things get so bad that Southwest is seriously contemplating cutting over to the A320 platform, with the 3 to 5 year costs that would entail, then Boeing itself is in serious trouble because that will mean that its major customers see it as without a post-737 strategy for that size of aircraft.

If they were already on the 320, then it would be less of a stretch to see them order 220's. The one time Southwest could have easily had smaller planes - Airtran's 717's - they passed on them. But that may have been partly because there really isn't much commonality between a 717 and a 737 since the former is basically a McDonnell-Douglas, not Boeing, product.
In the same vein, the 220 is not really an Airbus plane. It's a Bombardier aircraft that Airbus purchased. There is very little, if anything in common with the Airbus 320 line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.