Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "dynamic pricing" for Early Bird

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Won't matter because I'm making A-List, but actually like this otherwise. I'm so ADD about changing my flights, so I like WN for the no change fee, but I'll pay an extra $5 to make sure I'm B-1 or better. No chance I'm hanging around my phone or computer 24 hrs before.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
Won't matter because I'm making A-List, but actually like this otherwise. I'm so ADD about changing my flights, so I like WN for the no change fee, but I'll pay an extra $5 to make sure I'm B-1 or better. No chance I'm hanging around my phone or computer 24 hrs before.

But will you pay an extra $10, with no guarantee at all that you're "B-1 or better"?

How much does EarlyBird Check-In cost?
Beginning August 29, EarlyBird Check-In can be purchased at prices ranging from $15 - $25 one-way per passenger. A credit card must be used for the purchase of EarlyBird Check-In.

Will EarlyBird Check-In Customers get an "A" Boarding Pass and be among the first to board?
While EarlyBird Check-In doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:39 am

in the past, southwest was my airline of choice, and i flew them almost exclusively. now, they are screwing with what was once a stellar service, and other airlines are looking more attractive. the last 14 flights the choice was between southwest and american for me. american won. every time. just booked a bna-okc and return tonite on american.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by margaritasat5
in the past, southwest was my airline of choice, and i flew them almost exclusively. now, they are screwing with what was once a stellar service, and other airlines are looking more attractive. the last 14 flights the choice was between southwest and american for me. american won. every time. just booked a bna-okc and return tonite on american.
The peak of WN , in my opinion, was a brief window between 2009 when they finally implemented boarding positions, and 2011 when they revised their rewards program and moved it to points. I mean, it was always annoying and corn ball culturally, and still catered to the kettles, but at least you had something to show for being a frequent flier very quickly. Even back than USAirways was my carrier of choice because their prices were the same or better, AND they had assigned seating, first class etc. Unsustainable obviously and they got absorbed by AA.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
back than USAirways was my carrier of choice because their prices were the same or better, AND they had assigned seating, first class etc. Unsustainable obviously and they got absorbed by AA.
Actually AA was absorbed by US while in bankruptcy. It is now dba AA with the US CEO running the company.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
getting dinged by this today...was about to buy on SMF-PDX round trip because the outbound is at 6am on a Monday and I don't want to be stuck getting up at 6 on Sunday to check in...

$20 each way instead of the previous $15...guess I will only bite on the outbound whereas normally I would have bought both ways...

have AMEX $200 fee reimbursement so the real cost of these EBCI is basically $0...i know people will say i can use the $200 for "free airfares" ie gift cards, but when traveling on my own $$ on WN i usually use points.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
The peak of WN , in my opinion, was a brief window between 2009 when they finally implemented boarding positions...
Weren't the old plastic boarding passes a boarding position? I've forgotten the nuances of the old system so I can't remember if we actually boarded in numerical order (I had as low as BP #3 once) or just in random order within groups of 30 (1-30, 31-60 etc). The latter would not fly nowadays as people seem to fret over a few positions up or back; imagine having BP #1 but being the 30th person to board...
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
AA no longer charges bag fees in basic economy. Nor does Delta. This is even less of a selling point for WN now.
That's carry on bags only. Checked bags are still charged for on every US airline except WN in economy and basic economy.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:27 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Weren't the old plastic boarding passes a boarding position? I've forgotten the nuances of the old system so I can't remember if we actually boarded in numerical order (I had as low as BP #3 once) or just in random order within groups of 30 (1-30, 31-60 etc). The latter would not fly nowadays as people seem to fret over a few positions up or back; imagine having BP #1 but being the 30th person to board...
it was random within group. Or rather first to line up. One FTer liked to create a seat for himself by starting the line and then after people got up to join he line he would take one of their vacant seats.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
They used to only have "A", "B" or "C" passes, but the line was a free-for-all. This meant gate lice camping out HOURS before the flight to be first in line, often times before the previous flight had departed, along with other troubles like people trying to hold spots with luggage etc. The new system was much welcome.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
This meant gate lice camping out HOURS before the flight to be first in line, often times before the previous flight had departed....
I do remember the lines being sort of self-policed. Get there early, create a line at the desk, and check in and get a BP. Then create a new line nearby the podium.

There was always some wiseguy passenger who wanted to form his own line away from the main line and he'd recruit others to join.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
have AMEX $200 fee reimbursement so the real cost of these EBCI is basically $0...i know people will say i can use the $200 for "free airfares" ie gift cards, but when traveling on my own $$ on WN i usually use points.
FWIW the reimbursement works on the $11.20 RT fee and isn't reversed if you cancel the points booking. Tedious but useful if near the end of your Amex year and have unused "$200 a year benefit" to use up.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by joshua362
FWIW the reimbursement works on the $11.20 RT fee and isn't reversed if you cancel the points booking. Tedious but useful if near the end of your Amex year and have unused "$200 a year benefit" to use up.
i know
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by margaritasat5
I've done exactly the same thing, fewer WN flights and more flights on AA where I can preselect my seat for free. For the next three months, I've booked 1.5 trip on WN, 3.5 trips on AA, and 1 trip on AS. In the past, I would have booked at least 2 of the AA flights on WN.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
EBCI quoted at $25 for MDW-OAK. That seems right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.