Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "dynamic pricing" for Early Bird

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I meant whatever designation a 737-800 (or Max8) WN uses; thought it was 778.
That would make little sense. Boeing makes a plane (even if WN doesn't use it) called the 777, and variations on it use 77 for the first two digits (for example, a 777-200 is typically designated the 772).

Other airlines (Alaska, American, etc) all seem to designate the 737-800 as 738. I'm don't know, though, what they use for 737-Max8, possibly a letter instead of the third digit.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
OMFG it was a typo already
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by Often1
Similarly with EBCI, while it may or may not get someone a better boarding position, the charade is that not only is it easy to wind up in the mid-B's,,
I would think if someone paid for EBCI and got a mid-B, they probably bought their ticket very close to flight date or for some reason there were an unusually large number of BS or AT passengers who received their boarding number ahead of them (via EBCI). But just imagine what the boarding number would have been had they waited until T-24.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by sdsearch
That would make little sense. Boeing makes a plane (even if WN doesn't use it) called the 777, and variations on it use 77 for the first two digits (for example, a 777-200 is typically designated the 772).

Other airlines (Alaska, American, etc) all seem to designate the 737-800 as 738. I'm don't know, though, what they use for 737-Max8, possibly a letter instead of the third digit.
The ICAO designator for a B737-Max8 is B38M. The leading digit 7 is removed due to a four character alphanumeric limitation.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I would think if someone paid for EBCI and got a mid-B, they probably bought their ticket very close to flight date or for some reason there were an unusually large number of BS or AT passengers who received their boarding number ahead of them (via EBCI). But just imagine what the boarding number would have been had they waited until T-24.
About all we can do is imagine.

They could have been the last person to purchase EBCI -- possibly only putting them right in front of the first person to check in at T-24.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by msglsmo

I prefer a window seat near the front. You’ll likely need Early Bird or A List for that.
And if you fly AA you will need status or pay for that as well
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by twitch76
About all we can do is imagine.

They could have been the last person to purchase EBCI -- possibly only putting them right in front of the first person to check in at T-24.
That's quite possible.

I think if it were me, I'd skip EBCI entirely if I was buying my ticket close to flight day. Its probably not worth the extra money for a slight bump in what I would have gotten anyway at T-24. Depending on how much WGA fares are that close to flight day, it might be worth it to spring for BS or AT+EBCI just for the extra points.

I only buy EBCI for my "return" flights, since I have no way to check in online when I travel (yes, I am the last one on Earth without a smartphone). I think I'd have a pretty poor boarding position without it.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I'll find out in 11 days...........Our late March/Early April MSP/MCO/TPA flights are far and away the highest demand route we fly as it's the only date/ route that normally sells out days/weeks before the day of the flight.

I realize that selling out has no direct correlation with EBCI sales but IMO it's a decent indicator as most of our flights aren't even sold out. More passengers = more possible EBCI sales . The only way too know for sure would be to actually ask the people in line.

I'm not paying $100 for EBCI so if they raise the price I buy either one EBCI and save a seat or use T-24 for both.............either way I save $$
Gotcha. We can all just check the EBCI price online for various flights after August 29th, and presumably the real info will come when the schedule opens and we have all those flights to work with.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beachmouse
With my regional airports, even if you check a bag, if the WGA fare buckets have sold out, AA is typically $200+ cheaper than WN on round trip routes I've priced out.
That is true. I bought a ticket on DL for just that reason. I got to my destination fine. Then my work schedule blew up. Two changes later, I was wishing I had the WN flight.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
That's quite possible.

I think if it were me, I'd skip EBCI entirely if I was buying my ticket close to flight day. Its probably not worth the extra money for a slight bump in what I would have gotten anyway at T-24. Depending on how much WGA fares are that close to flight day, it might be worth it to spring for BS or AT+EBCI just for the extra points.

I only buy EBCI for my "return" flights, since I have no way to check in online when I travel (yes, I am the last one on Earth without a smartphone). I think I'd have a pretty poor boarding position without it.
Well, you're not the LAST one on earth without a smartphone, but you're certainly in a dwindling club.

Smartphones aren't just good for checking in for your flight, they have a host of other incredibly useful features, especially for those who travel a lot. Mobile BPs eliminate the need to print out paper BPs, and every major airline, hotel chain, car rental agency, and ground transpo provider has either a smartphone app, a web site, or both to manage reservations and check booking status.

Of course, you can also go to the concierge desk or business center of most hotels in the US to find a way to check in at T-24 and/or print your boarding pass.

Also, before I had a smartphone, I could get limited internet connectivity on my old flip phone (on the Verizon network) and check in for my WN flights that way. It may still be possible with current flips, you might look into that and at least get yourself checked in at T-24 instead of paying the extra for EBCI. It's an option, not necessarily better than what you do now, but more options are always better than fewer.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I've had enough issues with mobile boarding passes on both WN and DL that I always print a paper back up just to make sure. But love using my smartphone during travel in so many other ways, and would find it still valuable even if the only thing I got out of it was push notifications of gate changes in hub airports.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:59 am

Southwest has updated the website, with EBCI references now referring to the upcoming price change on Aug. 29th. The only change to the FAQ is to the section regarding price.

To me, this seems less "dynamic" and more just "variable pricing."
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD

Of course, you can also go to the concierge desk or business center of most hotels in the US to find a way to check in at T-24 and/or print your boarding pass.
I probably should have mentioned I'm usually miles from civilization at T-24. Not much internet in the remote parts of San Bernardino County, for example.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:41 pm

For those that asked, the 737-8 (MAX) 3 letter code is 7M8
SK, sdsearch and kennycrudup like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by formeraa
I would fly WN even more often, but my employer will not pay for EBCI. Therefore, I usually just go with AA or AS and choose an assigned seat for business travel. I've tried talking to my employer's travel contact, but they will not budge (and I like my job so I had exactly one nice conversation about it).
Is it worth it to pay for EBCI yourself?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.