Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "dynamic pricing" for Early Bird

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by MrMan
And if you fly AA you will need status or pay for that as well
Completely agree. I have status with United and pay for the Economy Plus seats. It is worth it to me, as I am guaranteed a window seat up front.

My point is EBCI is nothing more than a paid seat. It is a reasonable cost for one, but one that does NOT guarantee the seat you want.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by msglsmo
Completely agree. I have status with United and pay for the Economy Plus seats. It is worth it to me, as I am guaranteed a window seat up front.

My point is EBCI is nothing more than a paid seat. It is a reasonable cost for one, but one that does NOT guarantee the seat you want.
What happens on United if that seat is already taken? Its funny how attached people get to their favorite seats.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
What happens on United if that seat is already taken? Its funny how attached people get to their favorite seats.
Then I pick a different window seat in the front half of the plane. I don't specifically prefer "9A" or "10F" - my preference is just the front half in a window. Having power and extra legroom is a huge plus for that seat fee.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Tanic
The ICAO designator for a B737-Max8 is B38M. The leading digit 7 is removed due to a four character alphanumeric limitation.
But it is not the ICAO code that most are familiar with. It is the OAG 3-digit code, which is 7M8.

Back to the topic, it makes sense to charge more for EBCI on longer flights. On a 45 minutes flight from DAL-HOU, I don't mind sitting in a middle seat in the last row. On a 5.5 hour flight from OAK-BWI, I would rather pay $25 to get a better seat.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Great, so now even MORE people are going to save seats?

I hope Southwest rolls out this change coincident with a policy than bans seat saving.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Great, so now even MORE people are going to save seats?

I hope Southwest rolls out this change coincident with a policy than bans seat saving.
You are absolutely right. More people will definitely be trying to save seats. With the increased price point, I could easily see only one person paying for EB and saving seats for a whole family, where in the past they might have bought them for each individual. If this does happen, I could also see WN banning seat saving. This might actually be a good thing.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Critterlynn
You are absolutely right. More people will definitely be trying to save seats. With the increased price point, I could easily see only one person paying for EB and saving seats for a whole family, where in the past they might have bought them for each individual. If this does happen, I could also see WN banning seat saving. This might actually be a good thing.
If they ever ban seat saving, it will be a very rough transition. For the first few weeks, there will be shouting matches and maybe even a few physical altercations every single day as the self-righteous save-haters interact with the militant entitled savers. Flight crews will be forced to intervene, and that won't go well, either, as the savers will immediately start a social media blitz casting negative light on both the crews and the airline with heart-rending comments like "Southwest wouldn't let me sit with my children!" and "Southwest forces elderly Alzheimer's patient to sit with strangers". The save-haters, of course, will respond to such comments with contempt, sarcasm, and hatred.

Eventually, the furor will motivate SWA to more to assigned seating, which nobody will like, but it will prevent the entitled savers from fighting with the militant save-haters and drawing the innocent flight crew into their feud, giving the airline a black eye in the process.

So, I don't see a save ban coming any time soon. Because no matter which side of the issue you're on, you've got to admit - it's a hot-button that will cause more trouble than it's worth and cost SWA money, whereas the dynamic EBCI pricing will cause grumbling and a few bumps on the road, but will ultimately make SWA more money, and people will quickly get used to it.
joshua362 and ursine1 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:18 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by WillCAD
savers will immediately start a social media blitz casting negative light on both the crews and the airline with heart-rending comments like "Southwest wouldn't let me sit with my children!" and "Southwest forces elderly Alzheimer's patient to sit with strangers".
Correct. The headline will be "Southwest separates parents from their children" which would be a PR disaster.

A rule allowing middle seats to be saved would work, but Southwest makes more money when a few of those people buy EBCI for the second passenger. The sloppy status quo will continue.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by nsx
Correct. The headline will be "Southwest separates parents from their children" which would be a PR disaster.
That would never happen. There would still be family boarding.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
If they ever ban seat saving, it will be a very rough transition. For the first few weeks, there will be shouting matches and maybe even a few physical altercations every single day as the self-righteous save-haters interact with the militant entitled savers. Flight crews will be forced to intervene, and that won't go well, either, as the savers will immediately start a social media blitz casting negative light on both the crews and the airline with heart-rending comments like "Southwest wouldn't let me sit with my children!" and "Southwest forces elderly Alzheimer's patient to sit with strangers". The save-haters, of course, will respond to such comments with contempt, sarcasm, and hatred.

Eventually, the furor will motivate SWA to more to assigned seating, which nobody will like, but it will prevent the entitled savers from fighting with the militant save-haters and drawing the innocent flight crew into their feud, giving the airline a black eye in the process.

So, I don't see a save ban coming any time soon. Because no matter which side of the issue you're on, you've got to admit - it's a hot-button that will cause more trouble than it's worth and cost SWA money, whereas the dynamic EBCI pricing will cause grumbling and a few bumps on the road, but will ultimately make SWA more money, and people will quickly get used to it.
Sorry but I don't see it that way. If seat saving is banned, the only ones who will be getting kicked off the plane are the greedy seat savers. The rest of us normal people will take an open seat and we'll be on our way.

People whine to social media about their "hellish" flight experience all the time, even if it's 100% their fault. Just move along and ignore the idiots to the extent possible....
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
That would never happen. There would still be family boarding.
yep, and Alzheimer's patients pre-board, so no issue there either.

The seat savers are able-bodied adults who choose to game the system to cheat WN out of revenue they should be getting for boarding sooner. Their childish antics need to be stopped.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:11 am

Price increase? Yes. Seat saving ban? No. Not gonna happen.

What will happen: Preboarding gets worse. Seat saving gets worse. Southwest continues to ignore the issue until EBCI revenues drop to the point at which they are forced to assign seating.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:41 am

What will happen: Nothing. EBCI price increase is not great enough to inflict a seat saving ban or suppress pre-boarding. FAs/GAs will say when they can no longer go with the flow and bickering becomes intolerable.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
While I'm generally on the side of banning seat saving, I do have to admit that as a single flyer seat saving affects me not at all. Zero percent. Nada. The status quo might be sloppy but I prefer it to assigned seating.

Last edited by Peoriaman1; Aug 27, 2018 at 5:33 am
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:01 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
While I'm generally on the side of banning seat saving, I do have to admit that as a single flyer seat saving affects me not at all. Zero percent. Nada.
If you don't care what seat you end up in, then sure, but if you've ever seen a seat you wanted and then kept walking when you noticed (or asked) it was being saved and ended up in a seat you preferred less, then by definition you've been affected (granted it may not be an earth-shattering thing )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.