Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "dynamic pricing" for Early Bird

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by Zorak
If you don't care what seat you end up in, then sure, but if you've ever seen a seat you wanted and then kept walking when you noticed (or asked) it was being saved and ended up in a seat you preferred less, then by definition you've been affected ...
Well, not really. Not that I would notice. My only real preference is that I have a window seat. So if a row already has someone seated at the window, I'm going to walk on by anyway, whether they are saving seats or not. If windows are all full, I take an aisle. In other words, I'll walk right by Exit Row Middle or Bulkhead Middle if there are still open windows ten rows back.

On the very rare occasions I board late, the likelihood of any particular remaining seat being saved for some guy who is even later in the boarding process than I am grow smaller and smaller.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:11 pm

I'm generally a single flyer and I've had to 1) fight for a saved exit row seat, and 2) decide it wasn't worth it to fight for a saved seat, both more than once.
Tanic and steved5480 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Sorry but I don't see it that way. If seat saving is banned, the only ones who will be getting kicked off the plane are the greedy seat savers. The rest of us normal people will take an open seat and we'll be on our way.

People whine to social media about their "hellish" flight experience all the time, even if it's 100% their fault. Just move along and ignore the idiots to the extent possible....
Most normal people I see just move on and find an open seat.

Seat saving may not be totally right, but creating an argument with others is more wrong. I'm sure you pass by open seats with nothing on them just to try to sit in a saved seat. I'm pretty sure you're just looking for an argument to prove your point, rather than being 'normal' and just taking another seat.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Most normal people I see just move on and find an open seat.

Seat saving may not be totally right, but creating an argument with others is more wrong. I'm sure you pass by open seats with nothing on them just to try to sit in a saved seat. I'm pretty sure you're just looking for an argument to prove your point, rather than being 'normal' and just taking another seat.
Normal. <rolls eyes>

This complacency is what Southwest counts on, as they continue to refuse to acknowledge the issue by enacting an actual policy, instead stating that they "expect passengers to work out seating arrangements among themselves."

If someone is saving an exit row window, and I want an exit row window, I'm not going to pass by just because someone expects me to be "normal."

In the absence of a specific policy, it's a perfectly valid position that it's "normal" to not save seats in the first place.

Normal. <rolls eyes>
Tanic, steved5480 and twitch76 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
What happens on United if that seat is already taken? Its funny how attached people get to their favorite seats.
Or, what happens on United if Jabba the Hutt’s favorite seat happens to be the one next to your favorite seat?

Last edited by NextTrip; Aug 28, 2018 at 5:12 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: SWA CP
Random "fun" thought - best way to board to keep people together

Allow all the groups of 2 or more to board first (before the singles). (Most of) the twos, fours, and fives will leave an aisle or window seat open. The singles will then fill in the holes and almost everyone will get a seat together.

For example, assume a plane with 138 seats (46 rows - I'm ignoring the missing exit row seat on purpose to make it easier). The breakdown of parties might be:
  • singles: 40 (40 people)
  • doubles: 25 (50 people)
  • triples: 9 (27 people)
  • quads: 4 (16 people)
  • quints: 1 (5 people)

The triples and quint will take up 10 full rows. The doubles, quads (assuming they sit 2+2) and leftover quint will take up 2 of the seats in 34 rows (25 + 4*2 + 1). That leaves those 34 rows with one open seat, and 2 rows (46-10-34) that are completely empty. All of the singles except 2 will get an aisle or window, and no party is broken up. (And yes, I'm ignoring through pax, late boarders, bickering couples, single medical pre-boarders, and lots of other exceptions).

They could still sell EB and give priority, but only within the two groups. In other words, EB or A-list or BS would get you closer to the front of the "party" or "solo" groups, but solos couldn't advance into the party group.

I think WN might get a side benefit of a little faster boarding, too.

Of course, A-list typically singles (like me) would not like this too much....EB would go down to near zero for the party groups, but might actually go up for the solo travelers.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SWSNA
Allow all the groups of 2 or more to board first (before the singles). (Most of) the twos, fours, and fives will leave an aisle or window seat open. The singles will then fill in the holes and almost everyone will get a seat together.

For example, assume a plane with 138 seats (46 rows - I'm ignoring the missing exit row seat on purpose to make it easier). The breakdown of parties might be:
  • singles: 40 (40 people)
  • doubles: 25 (50 people)
  • triples: 9 (27 people)
  • quads: 4 (16 people)
  • quints: 1 (5 people)

The triples and quint will take up 10 full rows. The doubles, quads (assuming they sit 2+2) and leftover quint will take up 2 of the seats in 34 rows (25 + 4*2 + 1). That leaves those 34 rows with one open seat, and 2 rows (46-10-34) that are completely empty. All of the singles except 2 will get an aisle or window, and no party is broken up. (And yes, I'm ignoring through pax, late boarders, bickering couples, single medical pre-boarders, and lots of other exceptions).

They could still sell EB and give priority, but only within the two groups. In other words, EB or A-list or BS would get you closer to the front of the "party" or "solo" groups, but solos couldn't advance into the party group.

I think WN might get a side benefit of a little faster boarding, too.

Of course, A-list typically singles (like me) would not like this too much....EB would go down to near zero for the party groups, but might actually go up for the solo travelers.
Some mighty big assumptions there, my friend. Some might big assumptions.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA 2P, National Car Exec, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
So did EB dynamic pricing go into effect yet?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:16 am

Hi Barry. The new prices took effect today. Here's a story I wrote for USA Today this morning.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...es/1124554002/

Would love to hear other routes where travelers have found the fee still at $15!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:35 pm

It's $20 on all my routes now.
kendallg likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
No ex-DEN routes were mentioned in the sample in the USA Today article.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
It's $20 on all my routes now.
Same here, may as well save $40 ($80 total) and see how T-24 works
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:02 pm

Hope this leads to less people buying it, and my wife's T-24 check-ins move into the A group
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
On the route I fly usually it's up now to $20. Still cheaper to book WN with the $20 Early-Bird than it is to fly on B6 with their new $30 bag fee.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Hope this leads to less people buying it, and my wife's T-24 check-ins move into the A group

I would guess most people who used to purchase EB will now be at T-24 so not sure how much of a difference it will make.

We have EBCI on all out WN flights through March 5 so we won't know how it works for us until April 6

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.