Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "dynamic pricing" for Early Bird

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I love EB, we buy it for every flight. I figure $60 R/T to board ( 90% of the time) A-30 or better is worth it since we have never paid for a WN flight and are also using CP

We book all our flights the day they go on sale so I'm guessing we will still be paying $15 each
We rarely do the EB and just call at t-24. We always get good seats. If you board too early, then you have less choice of who will sit next to you when they finally board.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Often1
Simply that people who fall for "free bags" and "no change fees" and don't consider the bigger picture
After 20+ checked-bag segments on DL and after UA essentially voided a ticket 3 times 'cause I needed to leave a few hours different I went to WN- as I do check bags and do change my tickets frequently (and before the A-List free standby benefit, it was rare if I had to pay more than ~$100 to do so).

... but as what seems apparent on this forum, there are "Two WNs": Intra-CA, and everywhere else. YMMV, but unless something REALLY stupid happens, I'm here to stay for my domestic travel. I'm up and down CA many times a month and for usually less than $120 per segment, unless it's same-day.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
To sum up Gary Leff's take on the new dynamic pricing: "An extra $10 may not entail much teeth gnashing but if you’re traveling with a family the price can really add up — an extra $10 in each direction for a family of 5 would mean an extra $100. My suggestion there is to pay for it for one passenger only, they board first and save seats for the rest of the family." I really think that increasing the cost of EBCI will lead to even more of this.
The whole story here:
VFTW on EBCI and seat saving
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
I would imagine that by "demand" they mean based on trends. So just because it's the first day a flight is on sale doesn't mean they don't know the typical demand on that flight and will price accordingly. A new schedule doesn't mean they start over from the beginning.

I guess we'll see, then I''ll save $60 R/T or maybe just buy one EBCI and save a seat.......

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
We rarely do the EB and just call at t-24. We always get good seats. If you board too early, then you have less choice of who will sit next to you when they finally board.
We normally get row 8 as we pick the first empty row with the overhead clear. My wife takes the window and I take the aisle.. Never a problem with the person who grabs the middle and often it remains empty.........the best is when some clown thinks we will ( change seats so they can have the aisle or window) move.
nsx likes this.

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 19, 2018 at 10:05 am
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... and just as comfortable in the back (and usually less crowded).
Four words: Getting off the plane.

I prefer to exit the aircraft in a reasonable time, not 40 minutes after the door opens.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by lougord99

As usual, you are completely wrong in regard to my flights on WN. 90% of my flights are business and I always check bags on business flights - these are real savings.

No change fees are also very real savings. I book flights when fares are cheap and often cancel for no penalty as the flight time gets closer and the flight will not work out. If I had to wait until I was sure of taking a flight, my average would be much higher - regardless of which airline I fly.
No checked bag fee MIGHT be a savings. After all, if WN sells a ticket for $300 including bags, but another airline sells a ticket for $250 +$25 for a bag, then WN is not a savings. Right?

The cancel option is a major savings though. Big time. (but not for people that only fly once a year)
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian

I prefer to exit the aircraft in a reasonable time, not 40 minutes after the door opens.

Especially if you have a tight connection.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian

... and y'all keep saying this- yet I always sit in the back, and inevitably see the same people I walked by standing in line with me at the ride-share, car-rental shuttle and/or bag-claim lines.

It never takes "40 minutes" to deplane, even on a 778.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:28 am

You mean 787? Of course..because 787's have 2 aisles, larger bins and use the middle door. 3x3 seating all the way to the flight deck bottlenecks the exodus on WN 738's.

Boeing uses 18 passengers per minute for unloading a single aisle 737 through 1 door.

Try that at MCO.
flyer4512 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:01 pm

... and y'all keep saying this- yet I always sit in the back, and inevitably see the same people I walked by standing in line with me at the ride-share, car-rental shuttle and/or bag-claim lines.

I have flownWN about 4 times per year since 2015. Several times the FA's have asked people at their final destination to let connecting passengers off first.

Last year MSP/PHX/LAS we were in row 8 and made the connection using a very fast walk ( almost a jog) as the GA was closing the door.

I know for a fact many passengers missed the Vegas leg as we were talking to some at MSP

If you fly nonstop to your destination then where you sit does not matter, if you have a connection it can be the difference between getting on your next flight and sleeping at an airport overnight.

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 19, 2018 at 2:37 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
You mean 787? ... Try that at MCO.
I meant whatever designation a 737-800 (or Max8) WN uses; thought it was 778.

I recently deplaned from a Max-8/737-800 SJC-MCO and was off the plane in 20 mins from my usual penultimate starboard aisle seat.

Again, strokes for folks; while I was utterly baffled when I heard how big a profit center EB was for WN, at the same time if that revenue works out to advantages for me, all the better. Either way, I tend to get at least a free middle and usually a row to myself and a place to put what can sometimes be a pretty large carry-on (esp. if I'm flying on free standby and didn't check), so I'm good. I saw some guy in BS on a Saturday SJC-ONT yesterday, so I guess there'll always be a fetish for the front of the plane, even on single-class flights.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:55 pm

I recently deplaned from a Max-8/737-800 SJC-MCO and was off the plane in 20 mins from my usual penultimate starboard aisle seat.
"Look at your row number, divide it by two, and that's your estimated wait time in minutes."
How Long Does it Take to Exit an Airplane?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Increase in EBCI fee will drive people toward the new WN CC giving 4x reimbursement a year on “fake BS” 1-15 seats.

I guess CC holders should just grab that 4 times annually, reaping up to $200 in spend, and presumably 400 CP-qualifying points, for free.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Dynamic pricing normally means higher prices with demand. I seriously doubt minutes after flights go on sale EBCI has been sold to the point where dynamic pricing kicks in.

Normally, but not apparently in this case.

Again -- from the linked article:

The pricing “will depend on a combination of two factors: length of route and EarlyBird demand on that particular route.” Prices will remain the same on any given route and “will not change by day of week or time of day.”

So, again, buying early will not be any cheaper than buying late.

Your definition of "dynamic" and Southwest's definition of "dynamic" are two different things.

That was my whole point.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Normally, but not apparently in this case.

Again -- from the linked article:

The pricing “will depend on a combination of two factors: length of route and EarlyBird demand on that particular route.” Prices will remain the same on any given route and “will not change by day of week or time of day.”

So, again, buying early will not be any cheaper than buying late.

Your definition of "dynamic" and Southwest's definition of "dynamic" are two different things.

That was my whole point.
I'll find out in 11 days...........Our late March/Early April MSP/MCO/TPA flights are far and away the highest demand route we fly as it's the only date/ route that normally sells out days/weeks before the day of the flight.

I realize that selling out has no direct correlation with EBCI sales but IMO it's a decent indicator as most of our flights aren't even sold out. More passengers = more possible EBCI sales . The only way too know for sure would be to actually ask the people in line.

I'm not paying $100 for EBCI so if they raise the price I buy either one EBCI and save a seat or use T-24 for both.............either way I save $$

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 19, 2018 at 5:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.