Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "dynamic pricing" for Early Bird

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Actually, the last time I boarded a Southwest plane, I picked a window seat in an empty row. Fortunately no one around was trying to save eleven seats.
Hmmm. So you weren't affected by ANY seat savers? Quite the conundrum.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Will you know the EBCI cost before you book the ticket? I can't remember if it tells you.

There has to be a price benefit to deal with Southwest's no assigned seat policy, so I need to know what EBCI while comparison shopping.

I gotta say though, my last few flight searches have found WN to be the highest priced, even with luggage fees and preferred seating fees on other airlines.

Its great for WN that they are commanding a price premium for their product, but it doesn't mean I have to pay it.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:57 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Will you know the EBCI cost before you book the ticket? I can't remember if it tells you.
EBCI is offered as an upsell at or near the end of the purchase process.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
So now it is impossible to look at a fare and know the actual price without going through much of the booking process. 👎
ursine1 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
EBCI is offered as an upsell at or near the end of the purchase process.
I did a dummy booking without logging in and it tells you the EBCI amount after you have picked your flights. It is on the screen where you have to put your personal information and payment information in.

I can deal with that as it is before purchase. But it is annoying that it is unknown until that point. I will simply add $40-50 to the fare when I am doing a quick comparison.

If I recall correctly, it was non refundable either. I cancelled an award booking and the $5.60 fee was refunded but not the EBCI.

Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
That is correct. The only time EBCI is refundable is if Southwest cancels the flight.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
If I recall correctly, it was non refundable either. I cancelled an award booking and the $5.60 fee was refunded but not the EBCI.
That's been long-standing policy and nothing new.

As far as not knowing the actual price; as you mentioned just figure EBCI is going to add $25 more per person, and be happy if it's lower.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:57 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If I had not been preoccupied I might have thought of a tactic to beat the price increase: Buy a cheap trip with EBCI for a distant date. Later use Change Reservation to change it to the trip you want to fly. I did this once and the EBCI was preserved as long as the record locator remained the same. It might still work to port EBCI for one city pair to another and save 5 dollars.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WillCAD
For the routes that you fly, is there a noticeable difference between WN fare+EBCI vs AA or AS fare + bag fees, oxygen fees, and quarters for the lav?
AA no longer charges bag fees in basic economy. Nor does Delta. This is even less of a selling point for WN now.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by lougord99
That is correct. The only time EBCI is refundable is if Southwest cancels the flight.
Let’s just tweak this a little.

We recently flew ELP-PHX-SAN. My wife had EBCI. The flight out of ELP was delayed due to monsoon/t-storm. It was delayed enough that (while we might have actually made out cnxn in PHX) WN proactively moved us to the next PHX-SAN flight and refunded my wife’s EBCI with an email that said something like “we noticed that you weren’t able to use your EBCI benefit.” The email came that day, and IIRC, the funds were refunded within 48 hours.

I point it out only because there wasn’t actually a flight cancellation involved.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by twitch76
...I with an email that said something like “we noticed that you weren’t able to use your EBCI benefit.”...
Wow! If they only did that with the 90% of BS fare boarding benefit I lost during the 2013-2014 meltdown years, I shudder to think how much I would have been ahead...
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
If I had not been preoccupied I might have thought of a tactic to beat the price increase: Buy a cheap trip with EBCI for a distant date. Later use Change Reservation to change it to the trip you want to fly. I did this once and the EBCI was preserved as long as the record locator remained the same. It might still work to port EBCI for one city pair to another and save 5 dollars.

I wonder how it works now. Anyone have a data point?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
AA no longer charges bag fees in basic economy. Nor does Delta. This is even less of a selling point for WN now.
When did this change? I recently purchased flights for my daughter on Delta, and my son & daughter in law on AA, and paid an upgrade on all flights to be able to pick their seats in advance. The daughter flying Delta could only bring a carry on for free, on the AA flight I think they were able to check one bag each to Cancun.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by betsifur
When did this change? I recently purchased flights for my daughter on Delta, and my son & daughter in law on AA, and paid an upgrade on all flights to be able to pick their seats in advance. The daughter flying Delta could only bring a carry on for free, on the AA flight I think they were able to check one bag each to Cancun.
AA got rid of no=carry-on restriction for Basic Economy on September 5 (flight date, not booking date). I don't know about Delta.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by SWSNA
Allow all the groups of 2 or more to board first (before the singles)...
As a single flyer, I think that's a terrible idea.

I think as a single flyer, the advantages of assigned seating are minimal (and actually there are some downsides which don't apply to those travelling together), but if forced to board after the groups, I would probably choose to move to a different airline.
steved5480 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.