Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "dynamic pricing" for Early Bird

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Someone should promote everyone who works in WN's marketing department, the spin on this is amazing.

This is a leak, there has been no marketing yet.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Actually, I do.
Then your comment makes no sense. Transfarency is about no hidden fees like checking a bag, changing a flight, etc. If you a buy ticket, it includes everything you need to fly, check bags, etc.

It has nothing to do with the pricing on an add-on like Early Bird.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I have never bought early bird. I don’t get the appeal. All the seats are economy.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
All the seats are economy.
... and just as comfortable in the back (and usually less crowded).
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: Iberia
My WN flights are paid for work and booked/paid via corporate travel system which does not allow for EB ticketing. Even when checking in at T-24 hours I very rarely ever get a to board before B30.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
Then your comment makes no sense. Transfarency is about no hidden fees like checking a bag, changing a flight, etc. If you a buy ticket, it includes everything you need to fly, check bags, etc.

Bag checking is not a "hidden fee," it's a published fee. It entails no fluctuation by "length of route" or "demand" and isn't dynamic pricing.

WN warns they will "update pricing in the future based on route popularity." All this is leaked to a blogger for feedback instead of rolled out on the website.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
"Pricing will depend on a combination of two factors: length of route and EarlyBird demand on that particular route."

So, unfortunately no. Buying early won't mean you're not impacted. If your particular route has lots of EBCI demand (or is a longer flight, presumably), you'll be paying more -- regardless of your individual EBCI buying habits.

This part is very odd to me: Prices will remain the same on any given route and “will not change by day of week or time of day.”

Meaning that, if there are a few flights on a particular route (and by "route" they presumably mean "city pairs"?) that have deep EBCI penetration, all flights on that route -- including, say, the less-busy Tuesday 5:30am or Saturday 10:30pm ones -- will see an EBCI price increase. This is very different from how they currently price fares.

I wonder how this will work when changing an itinerary that has EBCI attached to a new routing? Will the system know enough to charge (or refund) the difference?

Or, will EBCI simply no longer be transferrable?
Dynamic pricing normally means higher prices with demand. I seriously doubt minutes after flights go on sale EBCI has been sold to the point where dynamic pricing kicks in.

Our flights are never long as WN rarely has NS service to any of the places we fly.

MSP to LAS/TPA/RSW/BDL/DAL

If prices go up I'll buy one EBCI and save a seat or go to T-24 for both and never give WN a dime, lol

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 17, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by WillCAD
For the routes that you fly, is there a noticeable difference between WN fare+EBCI vs AA or AS fare + bag fees, oxygen fees, and quarters for the lav?
With my regional airports, even if you check a bag, if the WGA fare buckets have sold out, AA is typically $200+ cheaper than WN on round trip routes I've priced out.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:08 am

We often fly first class for $200 more than WN. Bags are included.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:36 am

The fees on other airlines are not hidden either. They are fully disclosed in advance. Transfarency is simply a gimmick.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
WN neither provides free checked bags nor free ticket changes. It simply builds features into its ticket prices and makes a killing off them.

Two bags sounds enticing, but very few business customers check bags at all, let alone two of them and most regular business customers earn status on whatever carrier they use and that generally includes a bag without additional fee as well. While WN does not impose fees for ticket changes, the chances that you can change flights without paying more due to its WGA RM/IM are slim on busy routes.

Not that any of the above is wrong. Simply that people who fall for "free bags" and "no change fees" and don't consider the bigger picture are not thinking through the product.

Similarly with EBCI, while it may or may not get someone a better boarding position, the charade is that not only is it easy to wind up in the mid-B's, but with WN taking a hands off to seat saving, the impact of mid-B's, is even worse. Think about a family leisure route such as Hawaii and ask yourself what is going to happen if you are not among the first people to physically board the aircraft, whatever your numeric boarding position is,
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Dynamic pricing normally means higher prices with demand. I seriously doubt minutes after flights go on sale EBCI has been sold to the point where dynamic pricing kicks in.
I would imagine that by "demand" they mean based on trends. So just because it's the first day a flight is on sale doesn't mean they don't know the typical demand on that flight and will price accordingly. A new schedule doesn't mean they start over from the beginning.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I have never bought early bird. I don’t get the appeal. All the seats are economy.
I prefer a window seat near the front. You’ll likely need Early Bird or A List for that.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Often1
WN neither provides free checked bags nor free ticket changes. It simply builds features into its ticket prices and makes a killing off them.

Two bags sounds enticing, but very few business customers check bags at all, let alone two of them and most regular business customers earn status on whatever carrier they use and that generally includes a bag without additional fee as well. While WN does not impose fees for ticket changes, the chances that you can change flights without paying more due to its WGA RM/IM are slim on busy routes.

Not that any of the above is wrong. Simply that people who fall for "free bags" and "no change fees" and don't consider the bigger picture are not thinking through the product.

Similarly with EBCI, while it may or may not get someone a better boarding position, the charade is that not only is it easy to wind up in the mid-B's, but with WN taking a hands off to seat saving, the impact of mid-B's, is even worse. Think about a family leisure route such as Hawaii and ask yourself what is going to happen if you are not among the first people to physically board the aircraft, whatever your numeric boarding position is,
As usual, you are completely wrong in regard to my flights on WN. 90% of my flights are business and I always check bags on business flights - these are real savings.

No change fees are also very real savings. I book flights when fares are cheap and often cancel for no penalty as the flight time gets closer and the flight will not work out. If I had to wait until I was sure of taking a flight, my average would be much higher - regardless of which airline I fly.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Except you don't need to check bags to fly.

Not sure exactly where TPG took this quote from...

Unlike our competitors, we provide our customers the ability to choose products they are willing to pay for—like earlybird—instead of punitively charging a fee to check their first or second bag or change their reservation.
... but it manages to contradict itself within the span of a single sentence. Checked bags are bundled into the price -- you pay the same whether you check or only carry on. If they actually let you "choose products [you] are willing to pay for" then traveling w/o a checked bag would cost less.

I've got nothing in particular against WN and will happily fly them when it makes sense based on a variety of factors, but the marketing kool-aid is pretty powerful. I feel like "free checked bags" is the "but her emails" of WN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.