Wiki Posts
Search

Article on Southwest's growth at BWI

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Article on Southwest's growth at BWI

Southwest Airlines transformed BWI as it grew into a national carrier - Baltimore Sun
Marko123 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Can't read that article in incognito mode. Anything interesting?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
The title is BS enough not to read it.

WN not being a national carrier (but regional)? That sounds more like "fake news" to me.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by garykung

WN not being a national carrier (but regional)? That sounds more like "fake news" to me.
That's not what the copy is at all. It's about BWI benefiting with WN's growth and the payoff for state investments and the business community, and WN being able to really tap into the DC market.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
It's a neat article to read for those of us who live nearby and use the airport often. The growth has certainly made my life easier and in some respects, allowed me to continue doing my job with all the nonstop options. Thanks for sharing.

Southwest CEO Gary Kelly called the airline’s partnership with BWI “one of the greatest success stories for Southwest Airlines over the past 25 years.”

Jay Hierholzer remembers the exchange with Southwest Airlines executives as he offered the low-cost airline two gates at BWI Airport in 1993.
“What if we need more?” Southwest officials replied.
“Well, we have these other four … ” Hierholzer said.
“What if we need more?” they repeated.
That’s when Hierholzer, then the airport’s development director, realized the upstart airline was serious about BWI’s role in its future. “And it was going to be really big.”

Last edited by Marko123; Sep 20, 2018 at 8:23 am Reason: Added quotes
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:47 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by garykung

The title as quoted in the OP says "as it grew into a national carrier", talking about its entire history at BWI.

(it's since been updated to "Southwest Airlines has been a boon to BWI and Maryland's economy for 25 years")
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
The title as quoted in the OP says "as it grew into a national carrier", talking about its entire history at BWI.

(it's since been updated to "Southwest Airlines has been a boon to BWI and Maryland's economy for 25 years")
That's correct! The previous poster, who denounced this as fake news, should actually READ the headline before commenting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.