Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:59 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Supporting evidence for this is absent.
Agreed.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Southwest's software already does an excellent job of predicting no-shows, changes, and cancellations. Alternate date and time reservations are undoubtedly a small fraction of the total seats dropped. I don't see how a small reduction in the ebb and flow of reservations would make a significant difference in profitability.

I did, however, explain one way in which customers could react in a way which increases the fraction of Southwest reservations dropped and which reduces revenue to Southwest.

These changes need to be studied keeping in mind the full chain of consequences, not just the direct effects.
Agree nsx. Southwest is making the wrong move IMO.

Some here may argue Southwest doesn't want me as customer since I'm always looking for the best deal or cheapest fare (and they'd rather have people buying $$$$ last minute seats). But if they didn't want people buying at that "sale" price, why did they offer it in the first place? Why did they send blast emails about, etc?

If I know that I'm locked in to one flight and one flight only, I'm going to buy it on Delta, United, Spirit, etc where it is almost invariably cheaper. Yes, this represents lost revenue for SWA.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by singlebackpack

Some here may argue Southwest doesn't want me as customer since I'm always looking for the best deal or cheapest fare (and they'd rather have people buying $$$$ last minute seats). But if they didn't want people buying at that "sale" price, why did they offer it in the first place? Why did they send blast emails about, etc?

If I know that I'm locked in to one flight and one flight only, I'm going to buy it on Delta, United, Spirit, etc where it is almost invariably cheaper. Yes, this represents lost revenue for SWA.
The others charge for bags and you lose $200 if you want to change your flight.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Southwest has NEVER tacitly approved of fraudulent/speculative/duplicate bookings.
If such occurred with little or no jeopardy, that's tacit approval.

WN devoted $500 million to a new reservation system. One of many means to drive an additional $500 million in earnings is now out for a test drive.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:33 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by LegalTender
One of many means to drive an additional $500 million in earnings is now out for a test drive.
That explains the fender benders. Crazy teen drivers!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by nsx
Southwest's software already does an excellent job of predicting no-shows, changes, and cancellations. Alternate date and time reservations are undoubtedly a small fraction of the total seats dropped. I don't see how a small reduction in the ebb and flow of reservations would make a significant difference in profitability.

I did, however, explain one way in which customers could react in a way which increases the fraction of Southwest reservations dropped and which reduces revenue to Southwest.

These changes need to be studied keeping in mind the full chain of consequences, not just the direct effects.
+1 - Both WN and its customer base will have to do so in the new environment. If both are happy with the new environment, there may be some outliers. There always are.

There may also be some tweaks to the system. But, it is clear that the robust implemtation of the COC was not an error where somebody hit "A" when they meant to hit "B".
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Both WN and its customer base will have to do so in the new environment.
On a "blindsided" vs. "transfarency" scale this gets around a 4.5.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
The others charge for bags and you lose $200 if you want to change your flight.
1) I only travel with carry-on bags. Plus there are ways to mitigate bag fees on other airlines (carry the credit card, for example).

2) While others may charge a change fee, how is switching a $150 'Wanna Get Away' fare to a $500 last minute 'Business Select' fare much better? I'm still out an extra $350.

As has been said, the new optimal strategy will be booking "main" flight (the one I take 97% of the time) on Delta/United/Spirit/Alaska, booking a backup on Southwest, then refunding the backup flight at the last second when I know that I no longer need it. Not sure how that benefits SWA.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:07 pm

1) I only travel with carry-on bags. Plus there are ways to mitigate bag fees on other airlines (carry the credit card, for example).

2) While others may charge a change fee, how is switching a $150 'Wanna Get Away' fare to a $500 last minute 'Business Select' fare much better? I'm still out an extra $350.

As has been said, the new optimal strategy will be booking "main" flight (the one I take 97% of the time) on Delta/United/Spirit/Alaska, booking a backup on Southwest, then refunding the backup flight at the last second when I know that I no longer need it. Not sure how that benefits SWA.
I kinda think WN isn't going to miss you as a customer.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:53 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's an ill wind that blows no man to good.

The new software caught my accidental second identical booking tonight and prevented the second ticket from being issued. The trouble is that I also noticed the error. When I went to cancel, the screen said that the ticket had not yet been issued. A phone call made sure it stayed that way.

If I hadn't noticed, there would have been no harm from the identical booking.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:39 am

If they can implement a system that blocks the dupe, they can implement notification that this has happened.

Let us know.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld
I kinda think WN isn't going to miss you as a customer.
Of course SWA doesn't like this, but their new policy incentivizes it. I'm playing devil's advocate to make a point.

They may not miss me, but I'd argue that your average/everyday flyer (like me, the ones that fill the bulk of the economy class seats) is just looking for the best deal, and not getting screwed over, no matter what the airline. Southwest has a good reputation for value and friendliness to the average Joe. As they start to implement policies that make them look like every other airline, they could lose that financially-beneficial reputation.

Last edited by singlebackpack; Mar 24, 2017 at 11:52 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Of course SWA doesn't like this, but their new policy incentivizes it. I'm playing devil's advocate to make a point.

They may not miss me, but I'd argue that your average/everyday flyer (like me, the ones that fill the bulk of the economy class seats) is just looking for the best deal, and not getting screwed over, no matter what the airline. Southwest has a good reputation for value and friendliness to the average Joe. As they start to implement policies that make them look like every other airline, they could lose that financially-beneficial reputation.
Actually, Southwest is quite friendly to the NON-average amongst us as well.

Economy class seats? Are you CERTAIN you fly "everyday" ?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by steved5480
Actually, Southwest is quite friendly to the NON-average amongst us as well.

Economy class seats? Are you CERTAIN you fly "everyday" ?
I think singlebackpack makes an excellent point. However, Southwest decided many years ago that were going to do less and less to distinguish themselves from the main airlines in this country. Some of those moves make economic sense to me. This move does not make economic sense to me.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold

It's not a matter of whether you buy the sale price or not- it's when you're buying two different "sale" items to circumvent the conditions of the sale. When you buy advance purchase plane tickets (on any airline), you are receiving a substantial discount in exchange for having a less-flexible and less-refundable ticket. The sale fares are for people who can operate with those restrictions. Buying multiple tickets at the sale fare because you do not want to travel under the WGA fare restrictions is explicitly circumventing the CoC (regardless of whether or not they enforced that in the past).

This policy is by no means locking you into one flight and one flight only- it just requires that you pay (or get credit for!) any fare difference and give up your seat on Flight 1234 from AAA-BBB before you can claim a seat on flight 5678 from AAA-BBB. The fluctuating nature of airline tickets is such that a $200 flight 8 weeks out may become a $250 flight 6 weeks out, then a $150 flight 4 weeks out, and southwest is still letting you reclaim that difference as travel funds if you're willing to watch flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.