Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Originally Posted by lougord99
It is only a zero sum game if WN never overbooks, but of course they do overbook.
Not any more.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...g-flights.html
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:21 am

Would following hypothetical itineraries would be subject to auto-cancellation by SWA?

Itinerary 1: LAX/SEA roundtrip (booked w/ points)
LAX to SEA (nonstop) on May 1st at 2pm
SEA to LAX (layover - OAK) on May 4th (depart SEA at 6am, arrive OAK 830am; depart OAK at 10am, arrive LAX 11:30am)

Itinerary 2: OAK/LGB oneway (booked w/ combination of several travel funds and cash)
OAK to LGB (nonstop) on May 4th (depart OAK 9pm)

On the way back to SoCal, the intent would be to use the OAK-LGB flight...

Curious to see what you guys think...
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by amercedes
Would following hypothetical itineraries would be subject to auto-cancellation by SWA?

Itinerary 1: LAX/SEA roundtrip (booked w/ points)
LAX to SEA (nonstop) on May 1st at 2pm
SEA to LAX (layover - OAK) on May 4th (depart SEA at 6am, arrive OAK 830am; depart OAK at 10am, arrive LAX 11:30am)

Itinerary 2: OAK/LGB oneway (booked w/ combination of several travel funds and cash)
OAK to LGB (nonstop) on May 4th (depart OAK 9pm)

On the way back to SoCal, the intent would be to use the OAK-LGB flight...

Curious to see what you guys think...
When is the OAK/LBG flight? As to whether the the system will consider the flight duplicates, I don't think we have enough information from you (date of the OAK/LGB flight) or enough data from Southwest to determine what the actual parameters are, but it looks like the return flight at least may be subject to cancellation since you have 2 departures form the same city on the same day although I suppose you could fly from LAX to OAK in time to catch your later flight. As far as I know you can't predict which flight will be subject to cancellation.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
When is the OAK/LBG flight? As to whether the the system will consider the flight duplicates, I don't think we have enough information from you (date of the OAK/LGB flight) or enough data from Southwest to determine what the actual parameters are, but it looks like the return flight at least may be subject to cancellation since you have 2 departures form the same city on the same day although I suppose you could fly from LAX to OAK in time to catch your later flight. As far as I know you can't predict which flight will be subject to cancellation.
The date for the OAK-to-LGB o/w flight would be May 4 departing OAK @ 9pm (I.e. , the same date as the OAK-to-LAX flight that is part of the roundtrip itinerary).
Old May 4, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
Another data point for the forum:

In February, I booked DAL-BOI for Memorial Day weekend and added my companion Mrs. Booster.

In April, I changed my Companion to our granddaughter for a RT flight last weekend. Sure enough, Mrs. Booster's tickets to BOI were cancelled about a week later.

Changed my companion back to Mrs. Booster yesterday. Went to add her BOI ticket back this morning, and her PNR was already back.

So WN is searching for cancellable tickets but is also reinstating them without our help, when it makes sense according to some algorithm they have concocted.

Was honestly surprised to see the ticket back.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Texas Booster
Another data point for the forum:

In February, I booked DAL-BOI for Memorial Day weekend and added my companion Mrs. Booster.

In April, I changed my Companion to our granddaughter for a RT flight last weekend. Sure enough, Mrs. Booster's tickets to BOI were cancelled about a week later.

Changed my companion back to Mrs. Booster yesterday. Went to add her BOI ticket back this morning, and her PNR was already back.

So WN is searching for cancellable tickets but is also reinstating them without our help, when it makes sense according to some algorithm they have concocted.

Was honestly surprised to see the ticket back.
It seems pretty odd that they would reinstate a cancelled companion ticket. I would proceed with caution there.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:11 am

Next Gen Res System Automatically Cancels Overlapping Flights

I travel frequently for my business and often don't know when I'll be completing a job, so I book flights home on multiple days (e.g. Wed night, Thurs night). I also sometimes don't know where I'll be weeks in advance, so I'll book multiple flights contingent flights (e.g. BWI-LAS and IND-LAS) on the same day. This allows me to fly on a cheaper fare.

Last night, SWA automatically cancelled all tickets that I had booked with either overlapping destinations or overlapping times. I called SW this morning and they told me that this type of booking will be caught by the reservation system, which will cancel these flights without warning.

I understand that booking tickets like this limits Southwest's revenue potential, but it was never explicitly outlawed in their T&Cs and this type of flexibility is why I have my company fly SWA.

Just a heads up...
Old May 6, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT (oh wait, not really. Originally noticed first post, but not join date ). However, there is already an existing thread on this topic --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-bookings.html
Old May 6, 2017, 9:38 am

Thanks for the link, LBJ. I searched, but didn't look back to February. Had no idea this had been going on for so long.

Seems like there's much unknown and the cancellation policies aren't well documented on SWA's website. Always nice to have another headache to worry about with air travel!

Thanks
Old May 6, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The thread is actually still on the front page as it get's quite a few posts. It's just currently towards the bottom of the front page.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
It is interesting to read that WN took this long to implement a system to prevent people from having multiple bookings for the same day. It looks like it was a very convenient feature for a long time. It probably was inevitable for this to happen sooner than later. Otherwise WN could start charging passengers for cancellations fees rivaling the other airlines.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
It seems pretty odd that they would reinstate a cancelled companion ticket. I would proceed with caution there.
Agreed. May never have been deleted if all it did was disappear from view. Or could be tainted and not really holding space with the dreaded 'ticket required'. Always best to cancel upcoming companion reservations before making a change, even if you know you'll be changing them back and rebooking. Yes this means there is a chance the companion flight will sell out in the interim.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by thredayevt
I travel frequently for my business and often don't know when I'll be completing a job, so I book flights home on multiple days (e.g. Wed night, Thurs night). I also sometimes don't know where I'll be weeks in advance, so I'll book multiple flights contingent flights (e.g. BWI-LAS and IND-LAS) on the same day. This allows me to fly on a cheaper fare.

Last night, SWA automatically cancelled all tickets that I had booked with either overlapping destinations or overlapping times. I called SW this morning and they told me that this type of booking will be caught by the reservation system, which will cancel these flights without warning.

I understand that booking tickets like this limits Southwest's revenue potential, but it was never explicitly outlawed in their T&Cs and this type of flexibility is why I have my company fly SWA.

Just a heads up...
No, it is explicitly outlawed in the T&C...

https://www.southwest.com/assets/pdf...f-carriage.pdf

2. Reservations
a. Reservations
(2) Cancellation of Confirmed Reservations.
(v)
Multiple Reservations. Southwest prohibits multiple reservations for the same
Passenger departing from the same city on the same date. Furthermore, without notice to the Passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:16 am

I have had duplicate flights cancelled that were booked the same day. But was wondering if anyone has had flights cancelled that were booked a day apart. So like MDW to LGA on Sunday night and MDW to LGA on Monday morning - are people seeing that also being cancelled?
Old May 24, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred and CP, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
I just noticed this language on the "What you need to know to travel" screen when booking a flight today. I do not recall seeing it before.

Prohibition of Multiple/Conflicting Reservations: To promote seat availability for our Customers, Southwest prohibits multiple reservations for the same Passenger departing from the same city on the same date, or any multiple reservations containing conflicting or overlapping itineraries (such as departures for the same Customer from multiple cities at the same time). Furthermore, without advance notice to the Passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations, or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel. With the exception of Southwest gift cards, funds from proactively cancelled reservations by Southwest will be returned to the original form of payment. Reservations paid for with a Southwest gift card will have the amount applied from the gift card held as travel funds for use by the Customer on a future Southwest Airlines flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.