Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I am an eBay seller. It is common when there is a hot item (i.e. latest X-Box) that bidders will bid on several and only pay for the one they get the cheapest. This can be devastating for small sellers particularly when the relist of the non-pay items misses the last day to ship in time for Christmas. I only sell fixed price just because of this.
Don't they get banned from ebay for failure to pay?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Don't they get banned from ebay for failure to pay?
Maybe. eBay has changed T&C to the point that they strongly favor the buyer.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:13 am

refund not issued for cancelled duplicate booking

A couple of weeks ago, I booked a refundable roundtrip flight. I accidentally entered the wrong departure date causing the travel to be longer than a month instead of the few days I intended. That travel overlapped a different reservation (also refundable) I made that would have lasted a few days. I paid for both flights with my credit card, not points.

Southwest automatically cancelled the monthlong reservation but I received no cancellation email nor a refund back to my credit card. A few days later, I decided to cancel the shorter trip until this gets sorted out.

I received the refund for the shorter trip that I cancelled a couple of days after I cancelled it but I haven't received a refund for the monthlong trip that was automatically cancelled. I read that they are transitioning to a new computer system that is a little bit buggy. I am curious, do refunds from automatically cancelled flights take longer to receive? Or is the refund not forthcoming? I called CS and was told the refund would be issued because the reservation was refundable but I am worried that it is taking longer than I'd expect. Any pointers or insight would be appreciated.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:21 pm

I have a question regarding Southwest now cancelling customer reservations. If I have a a trip booked on Southwest from EWR to PHX leaving on Dec 3 & returning on Dec 7 (booked using points as 2 one-way tickets) am I able to book a flight from EWR to FLL on Dec 1 and a return FLL to EWR on Dec 6 or would this cause Southwest to possible cancel a flight? In this situation I am not flying on routes on the same day but if you factor in the return flights (which are booked as one-way) it is very not likely someone would fly (flying FLL to EWR on Dec 6 and then fly PHX to EWR on Dec 7) but isn't technically impossible for me to fly these 4 one-way flights. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:38 pm

Appreciate all the details here. I'm travelling to see the eclipse, with a "Plan A" routing from home-MCI-home. I've been thinking about having an overlapping reservation of home-BNA-home, but it sounds like that is now likely to get tagged.

I.e., Plan A (already booked)
08/19: PVD-MDW-MCI
08/21: MCI-MDW-PVD

Prospective Plan B:
8/20: PVD-BWI-BNA
8/21: BNA-BWI-PVD

If both of those bookings existed, would likely result in cancellation?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I booked the same routing and timing for two dates, but in two different months. Will this get cancelled?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by slickvik
I booked the same routing and timing for two dates, but in two different months. Will this get cancelled?
No. 2 different dates that don't overlap. You are good.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by amm543
I have a question regarding Southwest now cancelling customer reservations. If I have a a trip booked on Southwest from EWR to PHX leaving on Dec 3 & returning on Dec 7 (booked using points as 2 one-way tickets) am I able to book a flight from EWR to FLL on Dec 1 and a return FLL to EWR on Dec 6 or would this cause Southwest to possible cancel a flight? In this situation I am not flying on routes on the same day but if you factor in the return flights (which are booked as one-way) it is very not likely someone would fly (flying FLL to EWR on Dec 6 and then fly PHX to EWR on Dec 7) but isn't technically impossible for me to fly these 4 one-way flights. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Why would it be impossible? Once u get to your destination you are free to get to the next departure point and date any way you like. If they are all one way tickets then once you have completed the flight you are done.
You could book a one way from EWR to FLL 7 days in a row. Once you get there they don't know (or care) what happens after that. RT is another story. Book the one ways and as long as they aren't on the same day it won't be a problem.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:45 am

Thanks for your reply. I thought that if a flight gets in at night then a flight leaving the next morning from a different city would be a problem because it would be "impossible" to land in EWR at 10pm and then fly from PHX early the next morning (since no airline would be able to get you from there).
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by amm543
Thanks for your reply. I thought that if a flight gets in at night then a flight leaving the next morning from a different city would be a problem because it would be "impossible" to land in EWR at 10pm and then fly from PHX early the next morning (since no airline would be able to get you from there).
Maybe you took a private jet to get back?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by pkerr
Why would it be impossible? Once u get to your destination you are free to get to the next departure point and date any way you like. If they are all one way tickets then once you have completed the flight you are done.
You could book a one way from EWR to FLL 7 days in a row. Once you get there they don't know (or care) what happens after that. RT is another story. Book the one ways and as long as they aren't on the same day it won't be a problem.
you have made absolute statements. Do you know this for fact or speculation?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:52 pm

Question: Take the week after Thanksgiving. I am not certain yet what day I will come back and currently I have a $49 one-way fare booked for the Wednesday after Thanksgiving but the price is also good for the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. If I book the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, also as a one-way, will it get cancelled? I know if it was a round-trip, it would be, but not sure if one-ways are safe. Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
you have made absolute statements. Do you know this for fact or speculation?
One can only know absolutely if one has tried every single scenario possible. Since that would be impossible then these things must be looked at logically.

If I make one way reservations for Aug 1,2,3,4, etc. why would SW cancel any of them? They are not duplicates or over lapping. They don't know what I do when I arrive at my destination. I would think that all they care about is whether I show up for my next flight or not.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
They care that you're taking four seats out of inventory but are going to fly in only one of them.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by vike16
Question: Take the week after Thanksgiving. I am not certain yet what day I will come back and currently I have a $49 one-way fare booked for the Wednesday after Thanksgiving but the price is also good for the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. If I book the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, also as a one-way, will it get cancelled? I know if it was a round-trip, it would be, but not sure if one-ways are safe. Thanks!
Add a one-way in between to make it look logical?

XXX-HOME on TUE

HOME-XXX on TUE night

XXX-HOME on WED

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.