Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
They care that you're taking four seats out of inventory but are going to fly in only one of them.
And how do they know you aren't going to fly them? It's not like you are booking 2 flights that overlap that would make it impossible to fly.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
The bottom line is: we don't know what their algorithm is, and if you book 2 flights that you don't plan on taking both, you run the risk of auto cancellations even if it is possible through super-human efforts to take both.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:22 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lougord99
The bottom line is: we don't know what their algorithm is, and if you book 2 flights that you don't plan on taking both, you run the risk of auto cancellations even if it is possible through super-human efforts to take both.
Correct. We don't know. From my experience the cancellation does not touch flights on different dates.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by nsx
Correct. We don't know. From my experience the cancellation does not touch flights on different dates.
Exactly... different dates no problem, same dates problem.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:06 am

While the CoC says Southwest may cancel "reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel," that's not something that can actually be programmed.

What the system can be coded to automatically cancel is "multiple reservations for the same Passenger departing from the same city on the same date, or any multiple reservations containing conflicting or overlapping itineraries (such as departures for the same Customer from multiple cities at the same time)."

For reference, here's the full policy:

Prohibition of Multiple/Conflicting Reservations: To promote seat availability for our Customers, Southwest prohibits multiple reservations for the same Passenger departing from the same city on the same date, or any multiple reservations containing conflicting or overlapping itineraries (such as departures for the same Customer from multiple cities at the same time). Furthermore, without advance notice to the Passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations, or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel. With the exception of Southwest gift cards, funds from proactively cancelled reservations by Southwest will be returned to the original form of payment. Reservations paid for with a Southwest gift card will have the amount applied from the gift card held as travel funds for use by the Customer on a future Southwest Airlines flight.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:39 am

FYI: Previously, a rep had stated that the system auto-cancels the "most expensive" reservation. Saw today that a rep now says that the one retained is the "most recent" reservation, meaning the oldest one is cancelled. Not sure if either is correct, or if either rep knows what they're talking about... so take with a grain of salt.
Attached Images  
steved5480 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It seems to me than WN is trying on various algorithms for this effort. It is not under any obligation to to so and can always fall back on the COC provision which permits WN to do anything reasonable.

WN has a goal which is to cut back inventory spoilage not to monkey around with its passengers. So, perhaps the RM/IM people will take a look at the results from these and figure out what works best to reduce inventory spoilage.

The fact that something does or doesn't work today, doesn't say much about tomorrow.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:43 pm

Has anyone had any luck getting WN to reinstate/keep autocancelled bookings? I think I'm going to take a run at status, but the cheapest way for me to do that is to fly two round trips in a day from the same airport - pretty sure one set will get cancelled even if they don't conflict with each other. I will definitely fly both sets, but I'm not sure 'segment run' is a good enough excuse to get them to reinstate me if I get cancelled
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:26 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by synergistic
Has anyone had any luck getting WN to reinstate/keep autocancelled bookings?
Yes, I have as I described in the OP. If you have a good reason a human will listen and fix it for you. What I do not know is whether the system will autocancel the replacement booking!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:25 pm

How quickly does Southwest cancel overlapping/conflicting reservations?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:58 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I think cancellation is midnight central Time 24 to 48 hours after your suspect booking.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by nsx
I think cancellation is midnight central Time 24 to 48 hours after your suspect booking.
That sounds like it's from the TSA handbook.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:48 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Tanic
That sounds like it's from the TSA handbook.
Am I feeling some resistance?
steved5480 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Let's say I have a $300 credit currently on WN. If WN returns the money to the original form of payment with the exception of a Southwest gift card as was quoted earlier, couldn't you make two conflicting reservations and have one cancelled automatically and get some money back to your CC?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:10 am

New data point: Friend with multiple one-ways for this weekend (2 outgoing to different destinations Saturday plus 2 returning from those destinations on Monday) had one of each cancelled. One was the more expensive but earlier booked flight, the other was the cheaper but most recently booked option. All were WGA on points. So, if there's any sort of algorithm in place, good luck figuring it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.